This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Toll roads status in the US

Post by Cloaker
So Alan, what is your opinion as to when the U.S. will be ready? I would apply for area manager permissions to help out with the other areas, but I doubt it will be approved. I'm not even state yet in Colorado. :(

ModEdit: Moved this discussion into a separate thread.
Cloaker

POSTER_ID:1154227

Send a message
Area Manager-Denver/Northern, CO and surrounding.
HTC EVO 4G LTE|S-Off|SuperJelly-Bean|OC@1.7 Ghz|
I'm a Waze Monster ;)

Post by bgodette
gettingthere wrote:
bgodette wrote:This means toll roads probably should be marked with (Toll) so they stand out in the alternate routes list.
Although Perlin has stated that Waze will be adding a graphical indicator in a future client that specifies that the route has a toll. So do we really need to add/maintain the work (Toll) in the road name?
Nebulous support in a future client, that brings us popsicles ;), may be weeks or months away vs less than one week to update some subset of the same segments we just updated to flag as toll, then another pass to remove it if the client support is obvious enough to not need it.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
CBenson wrote:
bgodette wrote:Nebulous support in a future client, that brings us popsicles ;), may be weeks or months away vs less than one week to update some subset of the same segments we just updated to flag as toll, then another pass to remove it if the client support is obvious enough to not need it.
So what's the subset that would be marked toll?
The ones currently not with (Toll). There's a lot of previously labeled roads that have had that long before we had the check box.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
WeeeZer14 wrote:I suggest waiting to see how the client flags toll segments first. If the client does it well enough based on the toll flag, then we may not need to do anything.
When will the next client be here? We only know one is coming, but don't have even the faintest idea of when, nor do we know or have been told that flagging of routes that involve tolls will be one of the features added to the next client.
WeeeZer14 wrote:Oh, and an example to think about. I assume the client shows routes using the name of the road it is on the longest (more or less).
That's been my understanding of how it works as well.
WeeeZer14 wrote:So if I am using an open toll system like the Garden State Parkway where not every segment has a toll, only the tolled segments would have "(toll)" in the name. If I just pass through one or two toll plazas, the majority of GSP segments I will have to travel would NOT have "(toll)" in the name. So when the route is presented, based on names, I assume it may just say "via Garden State Pkwy" with no mention of the toll. So in this case putting it in the name won't help people and may introduce confusion since it depends on exactly which segments are traversed.
That's a problem that can't be resolved except by the client flagging routes at involve tolls. Again, when will that happen is unknown at this point. But what we do know is updating the segment names will change what's displayed in the existing client after the tile build that includes them.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by CBenson
bgodette wrote:Nebulous support in a future client, that brings us popsicles ;), may be weeks or months away vs less than one week to update some subset of the same segments we just updated to flag as toll, then another pass to remove it if the client support is obvious enough to not need it.
So what's the subset that would be marked toll?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
bgodette wrote:The ones currently not with (Toll). There's a lot of previously labeled roads that have had that long before we had the check box.
Ahh I see. I'm not sure that adding the word toll to the name of all segments marked toll is the way to go. The only segments that I have marked as toll are the segments that have toll plazas for a couple of bridges and tunnels. I don't think including the word toll in the names for a single segment of a route will change the name used in the display of the route.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by Cloaker
Oh... Good point. I didn't think about the tile updates, and that was a good answer, don't be so hard on yourself. :P
Cloaker
Send a message
I'm a Waze Monster ;)

Post by Cloaker
Yeah, which means they should enable it for beta testers. :P I promise not to complain.
Cloaker
Send a message
I'm a Waze Monster ;)

Post by Cloaker
Really? Interesting, do you know where exactly off the top of your head?

Edit: Nevermind, I found it. So assuming when the tiles update, and waze has not enabled it yet for us, the client will avoid tolls, right? It's mostly dependent on the tiles and the client as opposed to sever support?
Cloaker
Send a message
I'm a Waze Monster ;)

Post by Cloaker
Sweet. I'm in love. <3 lol
Cloaker
Send a message
I'm a Waze Monster ;)