This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Locking Down the Map

Post by dontmapmebro
Why is the map becoming more and more locked down, requiring high level editors to make even the most simple changes even on side streets? It's making it impossible for the community to continue what was done to make Waze popular in the first place. I know almost no business in the history of the planet is able to resist chucking the people that made it successful once it achieves success, but I have tons of edits that need to be made and have been reported several times over 6 months and nobody is fixing them. It's getting to the point where I can't trust the directions Waze is giving me because it's full of disallowed turns.
dontmapmebro

POSTER_ID:16881511

Send a message

Post by dontmapmebro
I'm not interested in joining anything, thanks. I haven't made edits in a long time because the issues I find are locked.
dontmapmebro
Send a message

Post by dontmapmebro
jm6087 wrote:I am not sure what your complaint is about then.
That we used to be able to correct the map and now we can't. Supposedly higher level editors ensure map quality, but the map quality is actually more poor because nobody can make the edits when those who are able to ignore the reports for months on end. It's making Waze suck as restrictions change, new roads open, old roads close, etc., and the community can't keep up anymore because 95% of us are locked out where we didn't used to be.
jm6087 wrote:There is not much we can do to help if an editor does not want to learn how to make quality edits by joining the editing team.
How do you "join" an edit team? I can find no documentation of such a team anywhere on Waze. Is there some other place this process is documented? All I want to do is be able to correct the errors I find while driving despite the fact that I'm helping Google make money off of my free labor. I do not want to become someone who's responsible for fixing errors other people find, or coordinating anything. If Waze requires that of editors, that's a failure of Waze and not of its users.

I am ranked in the Waze app as "Royalty," so what's required beyond that to be able to make simple edits like turn restrictions is beyond me.
dontmapmebro
Send a message

Post by dontmapmebro
Waze driving status and 300+ problem-free edits. Surely Waze isn't experiencing a problem with people having that much time invested screwing up the map. If the map is so temperamental, a better strategy than an exclusive club would be to let everyone continue to edit and require approval before accepting the edit. Having this exclusive club thing sooner or later turns into a social clique rather than a meritocracy.
dontmapmebro
Send a message

Post by jm6087
dontmapmebro wrote:Why is the map becoming more and more locked down, requiring high level editors to make even the most simple changes even on side streets? It's making it impossible for the community to continue what was done to make Waze popular in the first place. I know almost no business in the history of the planet is able to resist chucking the people that made it successful once it achieves success, but I have tons of edits that need to be made and have been reported several times over 6 months and nobody is fixing them. It's getting to the point where I can't trust the directions Waze is giving me because it's full of disallowed turns.
It would depend on the state/country you are working in on what the locking standards are. Some countries use autolock which locks the segments based off the amount of traffic that travels across it.

In the US, we don't use autolock but do have locking standards based of road type (and other factors) to protect the map.

EDIT: According to your profile, you have 300 edits in WME around L.A. and the last one done was 536 days ago.

Have you joined Discord yet to get real time help from editors in your area?
jm6087  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 21
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by jm6087
I am not sure what your complaint is about then.
We have a way to communicate with editors to get help. Just because a segment is locked above an editors rank doesn't mean they can't get help. Someone will usually unlock and check to make sure the edit it correctly done.

The locking is to prevent people from just coming along and thinking that editing is simple when in reality even the smallest edit could cause major routing issues for the drivers.

There is not much we can do to help if an editor does not want to learn how to make quality edits by joining the editing team.

Since we have a limited number of editors and we are all volunteers, sometimes an issue reported through the app can be missed. Especially when they are not in a busy area. If you are reporting things this way, you can always bring it up in the California forum or in this forum so that a volunteer can try to help out. Being as detailed as possible is a great help.
jm6087  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 21
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by Mvan231
Sad to see you didn't want to get more involved with map editing. It is especially useful to have editors that learn and edit the map in areas where a lot of issues are noted but not able to be fixed quick enough.

Hopefully someday you'll change your mind
Mvan231
Send a message
- Mark
Mvan231 (3) MI AM
GLR | Michigan Editor
Wazeopedia :lol: | Engineer :geek: | iOS user :)

https://s.waze.tools/c3.png

Post by turbomkt
I won't reiterate what was said above.

There are several senior editors available in California to help with any edits needed in the LA area. If there's something you need help with, don't hesitate to ask.
turbomkt
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 17
Send a message
--Mike
RC for Northwest Region (NWR Discord)
ARC for Southwest Region (SWR Discord)

Post by turbomkt
I have sent a PM regarding getting connected with the SoCal editing community. If you don't want to be a regular editor, you're always welcome to post in the California forum or post an Unlock request. You might not get an immediate response, but you will get one eventually. Responses via Discord (see my PM) are usually faster and provide a better forum for explaining why something is the way it is.

Please note...Waze driving status (royalty, knight, etc) has nothing to do with editing knowledge.
turbomkt
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
--Mike

Post by turbomkt
313 map edits gets you 1/10 of the way to being a Rank 2 editor. In the US we have a managed system where, if your edits are truly problem-free, you can be promoted early. That, however, means you are in contact with the local leadership (myself, Nivekeel, Citeman, Tonestertm, and Ottonomy), demonstrating your editing.

Looking at your editing profile, you have made about 5 edits in the last two years. So most of your 300 edits were over 3 years ago. In the time since, many things have changed. Being plugged in with the community is how you can be brought up to speed and improve the editing skills you developed at that time.
turbomkt
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
--Mike