This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Major Highway vs Minor Highway on National/US roadways

Post by Made2Map
I'm a new AM and I have some questions on when should I call a National/US Route a Major Highway vs a Minor Highway.

I recently changed some (two lane and non-divided 4 lane) segments of the National Highways in my area from Minor to Major for connectivity purposes. After which I received an message from a fellow AM informing me that I "totally screwed up" the area by doing so. I am a cartographer by trade and in my professional experience I have learned that the constant changing back and forth of feature classification/symbolization is not very user friendly. But my level of cartographic expertise is not in "turn by turn navigational mapping" so I am asking for help in clarifying this issue for me.

My experience up to this point lead me to believe that National Highways are in most cases the major route for travel through an area and should be highlighted as to reduce confusion with less important routes. I would lean towards collecting most US routes as Major Highways however when reviewing the Wiki on the subject it seems to indicate that speed and lane size should dictate when to change the classification and not the real life road classification.(County, State, US)

When reviewing the National Highways in my area I noticed many inconsistencies in the way that the road classifications changed. In some cases the classification will change from Major to Minor, or even Primary, (regardless of the number of lanes) when traveling through a populated area, and then change back to a Major Highway as soon as it returns to a more rural environment. I'm assuming that the editor feels like the speed of the Highway is lessened as the highway approaches more populated areas due to stop lights and increased intersections.

In other cases two lane national highways change to four lane dual divided as they travel through small towns. The Highway classification is upgraded from Minor to Major for these small segments regardless of the increase in expected delays.

My question has to deal with the constant switching back and forth between Major and Minor Highways that I am noticing.

When I noticed the inconsistencies the current collection. I consulted the Wiki for guidance. This quote from the Wiki seems to indicate that the switching back and forth of road classifications should be avoided when no connectivity to other Major Highways or Limited-Access Highways exist.
When a user turns off the highway notation in their app, remember, it will STOP routing on "Minor Highways." So if you label a "Major Road" a "Minor Highway," it will be INCREDIBLY detrimental to the users directions.

So here are my questions:
  • When dealing with US routes when is the appropriate time to downgrade a road from Major to Minor and what other factors, if any, should be taken into consideration?
  • Other that the visual annoyance of the constant changing classification of Highways is this a problem when it comes to routing?
  • What types of recommended map sources (other than the Wiki) should be used while making general "grey area" turn by turn mapping decisions?
  • Is there any case where it is acceptable to have a two lane road listed as a Major Highway?
  • Is there any case where it is acceptable to have a non-divided four lane road listed as a Major Highway?
Thank you very much for your input on this issue.
Made2Map
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:3716031

Send a message
Made2Map
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/d9/W ... 00k_5c.png

I am a professional cartographer working for a company in Alabama
and a Waze Area Manager for Alabama and Northern Wisconsin

• email: awm4th@gmail.com • twitter: @awmathis

Post by Spil
In that particular situation, I'd probably stick with Major. US-70 provides the best "next-step-down" alternative to I-40 in that area. Even though it might not have the additional lanes or limited-access features that some major highways have, it's the main alternative route -- the second-best long-haul option for crossing that area (at least as far as I can tell from a quick glance across the map from Little Rock to Memphis). It's the same for US-20 across upstate NY (paralleling I-90), or US-11 through Binghamton & Syracuse (paralleling I-81) -- not really major by some definitions, but the best non-Interstate option available.
Spil
Send a message
I'm Spil, and I approve this message! :D
~ ~ AM: Upstate NY; CM: USA/Canada ~ ~
Wazing the I-86 Corridor with my Casio C771 G'zOne Commando
New York Editors: To-Do List!
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/c/c8/W ... 00k_6c.png

Post by Scruffy151
I believe in classification by road quality/traffic handling ability. This allows for decent routing when there is no speed data for the road or when there is no data connection.

However there are many grey areas. Also I am generally against frequent changes in type.
Scruffy151
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by PhantomSoul
I would imagine most US highways would be major or minor highways, even when they are routed over surface routes in urban area.

To determine which, wouldn't it make sense to have to look at the bigger picture? Every highway connects things and those things should be considered when trying to determine which type a segment of US highway is. How much improvement has been done to the highway? Does it connect other freeways or major highways on either end of the section? How many other major highways or freeways parallel it? Are those so-called "freeways" actually toll roads? A two-lane road could absolutely be a major highway if it has enough improvements to say, bypass any town centers it goes by, etc., while a divided road could absolutely be a minor highway if it has many signals, turning traffic in thru lanes, or limited improvements maybe because of a nearby parallel freeway.

In New Jersey, for example, I would totally call US-202 a major highway from Lambertville (PA border) northeast to I-287 near Somerville. It's a multi-lane road, has no equal or bigger roads paralleling it, and its at-grade intersections are optimized for maximum throughput of through traffic. North and east of that I-287 interchange all the way to Mahwah (NY border), however, I would call US-202 a minor highway. It has relatively few improvements from a little 2-lane country/city road and has largely been superseded by I-287, which parallels it in this section. Even the highways signs in the area direct through traffic to Mahwah onto I-287.

Similarly, I would call US-206 between I-287 and I-80 a major highway even though it is a 2-lane road for much of the way. This is because the road does bypass town centers, doesn't have an equal or bigger road immediately paralleling it, and as a result, makes a really nice cutoff for through traffic from I-287 north to I-80 west (and vice versa). The surrounding sections of US-206 I would call a minor highway though, since they do not bypass town centers and as a result frequently encounter areas of low speed limits.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by ncc1701v
Spil wrote:In that particular situation, I'd probably stick with Major. US-70 provides the best "next-step-down" alternative to I-40 in that area. Even though it might not have the additional lanes or limited-access features that some major highways have, it's the main alternative route -- the second-best long-haul option for crossing that area (at least as far as I can tell from a quick glance across the map from Little Rock to Memphis). It's the same for US-20 across upstate NY (paralleling I-90), or US-11 through Binghamton & Syracuse (paralleling I-81) -- not really major by some definitions, but the best non-Interstate option available.
US-11 ... slowly I turned ... Anyway, that's a reasonable abstract model of how to define Major, but what if nobody uses it for through traffic? What if everyone has moved to the interstate that was built after the US highway route was named, and now it's used mostly for local farm traffic? I think actual use counts more than theoretical use. In the two cases you mentioned, people seem to drive US-20 for pretty good distances in order to avoid tolls, and it's kept up accordingly, but on US-11 they only go for one or two towns, and yes I've avoided manure :-). In Texas you have good, very fast surface roads used for long distance travel that could only be major highways. I guess my bottom line is that starting from "best next-step-down" is good but then look at actual use ... there could easily not be any MH in a significant area.
ncc1701v
Send a message
... and the "v" is for Volvo.

Post by ncc1701v
chrysrobyn wrote:Please always include a permalink to the location in question. Look at the bottom right of the editor window, right click "permalink", copy to the clipboard and paste in your forum post. That way we're not talking about some abstract case which may have subtleties, but rather a specific instance.

Personally, I'm most concerned with manipulating the routing server. I have read about a case where a Waze employee upgraded an in-town road above what the area managers believed it should have been (I've forgotten if it had been a Major Street and it was upped to a Major Highway, but it was something like that -- I wish I had the link). The area manager was confused and angry that someone was screwing everything up and called him/her out publicly on the forums! As it turns out, however, it was to serve a specific purpose -- tell the router to prefer those roads over the more local inconsistent streets.

Before the toll road support a few weeks ago, I saw this kind of problem when going from Albany, NY to Hopewell Junction, NY. Waze understood we had I-87 and would only present routes involving that road. Even as I went down the Taconic Parkway (a mostly controlled access highway with a very few at-grade intersections), Waze told me to go 30 minutes out of my way to take the freeway. In order for the router to understand I was taking an acceptable route, I had to upgrade it to a freeway. This is generally against policy because there are some at-grade intersections (...and many exit ramps), but I believe it's more important to provide the user with that option than it is to maintain consistent road colors on the map.

All this is to say that reading the Wiki is a good idea, but we're working within limitations here. Getting to know the system necessitates some mistakes. Continued PMing with the person whose toes you inadvertently stepped on may teach you far more. The current patchwork of road hierarchy may be a result of tuning route options.
This is a classic problem with systems that are being used beyond their initial design concept. You want to tell the system something, but there is no explicit control for it. However, you discover you can produce the effect you want through clever use of a different control that you do have, indirectly. You get what you want more or less ... but ... the intent becomes unclear to observers so there are arguments about usage; and the owners of the system might change the behavior of the control, improving it in fulfilling its real intent but hurting the indirect function you've been using it for. Another example of this is road surface ("dirt") vs road function.

Waze could, possibly, go back and design in some new attribute sets for describing roads, and fill them in for existing roads based on current attributes. That would be a lot of work, and I doubt they will have the time or money for at least two years. During I expect to see several changes in how routing takes road type into consideration. :-(
ncc1701v
Send a message
... and the "v" is for Volvo.

Post by Made2Map
AndyPoms wrote:I agree with using the Functional Classifications as a base... It's not the easiest translation from Functional Classification to Waze Type, we're on version 2 of the translation matrix in CT and haven't even finished the state yet - AND it looks like we're probably going to have to go to a version 3 as we've discovered some odd issues...

There are a few places we deviate from the translation matrix, but most of them are short distances where the functional classification changes and then returns to the original classification.
I like this idea. I'll check out the information for my state and see how it can be integrated. I think it would be an excellent idea to use this data as an aid for Road Classification.

Thanks for your response
Made2Map
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Last edited by Made2Map on Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Made2Map
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/d9/W ... 00k_5c.png

I am a professional cartographer working for a company in Alabama
and a Waze Area Manager for Alabama and Northern Wisconsin

• email: awm4th@gmail.com • twitter: @awmathis

Post by jasonh300
The key is to eliminate the freeways...the U.S. route is probably what you're going to take if you can't go on the freeway. That's my argument for them to be (mostly) Major Highways. There are exceptions, of course. That also works in conjunction with the Avoid Freeways function.

If I wanted to drive from New Orleans to Northern New York, and couldn't use Freeways, I'd be on US-11 the whole way (something I"ve always wanted to do, BTW).
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
AndyPoms wrote:Got a UR today reading
The directions were routing them onto a Major Highway (where it starts). That road leads to a Freeway (the Interstate) with a handful of ramps between where they were set to get on and the Interstate. I can't tell if it was avoiding just the Freeway or completely ignoring the preference...
So the Major Highway is limited access?
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message