This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Waltham, MA: A tiny question about street names

Post by cwdurst
[I don't see a Massachusetts forum. Is there a better place to ask this question?]

Looking at the following UR:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7075484/Images/LincolnSt.png

The user seems to be saying that while driving West on Lincoln St, he/she expected to be told to "turn right on Smith St" and was apparently told to "turn right on Wyman St."

The North-South road's name changes from Wyman St to Smith St at the intersection of Lincoln St. The trouble is that Lincoln St jogs North at that intersection.

Waze thinks the segment in between the two Lincoln Streets is called Wyman. (Google agrees FWIW.)

The most authoritative source I can find is still somewhat ambiguous about it as you can see below:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7075484/Images/LincolnSt2.png

Even if the name did change at the southerly part of the intersection, I expect that someone coming East on that little segment of Lincoln would expect to be asked to turn "right onto Wyman" instead of "right onto Smith."

If I were to set that little segment to be "No Name", would Waze correctly tell someone coming West on Lincoln that they should turn "left onto Wyman" or "right onto Smith" and someone coming East on Lincoln would also be told the correct names?
cwdurst

POSTER_ID:13816969

Send a message

Post by cwdurst
OK, well I'll try to get over there and check it out, but it may take a couple more days to find a good time to do it.

In the meantime someone named "storageanarchy(1)" has gone ahead and changed that segment to Smith St.
cwdurst
Send a message

Post by cwdurst
OK, I have now checked it out in real-life and the signage makes it clear that the name changes at the southern side of the intersection. Lincoln St drivers going East are presented with just Smith St. Lincoln St drivers going West are presented with two signs, the one on the left reads Wyman St, the one on the right reads Smith St.

So the little segment IS Smith St and everything should be fine now.
cwdurst
Send a message

Post by harling
cwdurst wrote:If I were to set that little segment to be "No Name", would Waze correctly tell someone coming West on Lincoln that they should turn "left onto Wyman" or "right onto Smith" and someone coming East on Lincoln would also be told the correct names?
It might do that, but changing street names twice instead of once might exacerbate some routing quirks. Best to get the correct name on it.
txemt wrote:Do you have the capability to go and drive to this intersection (meaning it's in your town and you can go check it out on your own)?
FWIW, I have reason to suspect ;-) that there is a sign marking that segment as Smith St, though someone going there in person would have better resolution.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by harling
True; with a name like "storageanarchy" he might just have his head in the Clouds. :roll:
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by txemt
Do you have the capability to go and drive to this intersection (meaning it's in your town and you can go check it out on your own)?
txemt
Send a message
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.

Post by txemt
I did a check using the Google Street View, just to see if I could see something or maybe get me some clarity, since I don't live in MA....OMG, that sun is bright!!!!
txemt
Send a message

Post by txemt
I'd still drive over there and check out when you can. Just because someone changed it, doesn't mean it's right (unless they actually comment about it on this thread).
txemt
Send a message

txemt
Send a message