Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by razor2k
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
HavanaDay wrote:So are we suppose to draw all parking lots as landmarks now? And what did you infer he meant by driveable surfaces? Does that include all parking lot roads or still just the major roads in and out as per usual.
There was discussion about POI vs. landmark where POI is a point, not a shaded area like we have now. I am not clear whether Waze is say we should be mapping all business, etc. as landmarks or whether a different feature for POI will be coming. Someone who was paying more attention than me will need to chime in.

Every drivable surface does mean parking lots, but there was a lot of discussion around that topic and how Waze wants parking lots done. On one hand they seemed to say map the lots as roads, then they said just entrance/exit stubs and landmarks otherwise. Pretty unclear IMO. The "all drivable surfaces" comment came out of the question, "Does Waze want us to map all the forest roads, the 4-ft wide off-road, no cell-service roads used by quads and hunters, etc?" And Ehud basically said, "yes." This is why we are rearranging the road types a bit.
From what I understood, parking landmarks should only be added around Malls (with their associated perimeter roads). Anything smaller (Strip malls and the like) just map in the PL roads w/o landmark. Am I right? :?
razor2k
Send a message
Area Manager: Pinellas, Pasco & Hillsborough Counties FL
Phone: Samsung GS 2, Sprint, Android 4.1.2
Waze: 3.7.2

Waze FAQ...Best Map Editing Practice...Correct Server?...User Manual

Post by razor2k
jhfrontz wrote:
razor2k wrote: From what I understood, parking landmarks should only be added around Malls (with their associated perimeter roads). Anything smaller (Strip malls and the like) just map in the PL roads w/o landmark. Am I right? :?
My takeaway on both points (POI/landmark-a-palooza and paving every surface capable of facilitating any form of terrestrial transportation--motorized, pedaled, pedestrian, equine, bovine, cervine, asinine,...) is that we are at status quo unless/until Waze provides tools and features to support this (namely, make parking lot roads, etc. be less prominent in the client and in WME, as well as develop a POI database/management interface that makes the drawing of landmarks moot).
Gotcha! :lol:
razor2k
Send a message

Post by razor2k
ohiostmusicman wrote:So, what about things like where a fast food place is (esp. with a drive-thru). I've seen a lot of errors because people go in, around, and out. Should I map every lot that involves a drive-thru?

Part of the reason I ask is because when it comes to routing to a specific point, Waze will route you to the road closest to the point. Sometimes, those parking lot roads for a specific fast food place are closer so it tries to route you using them even though you cannot reach the actual location through a fast food restaurant drive-thru...
Waze should not be routing through parking lot or private roads to get you to your destination. Maybe Bing location pins are erroneously in a parking lot rather than the correct location. Since waze thinks that's where you're going it leads you there.

No fault of waze, but on third party providers.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
razor2k
Send a message

Post by skbun
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
  • bgodette gave examples of the Waze car position jumping north and south off of east-west running roads onto parallel roads even though the system GPS location shows the position never wavering from the main road.
Do we have any word on the status of a fix for this one? I found eight URs near this Interstate junction (and left a few, anyway), where it's clear that a person is on one road, but Waze is routing them on the other, probably bouncing back and forth as we saw in the presentation about this.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lon ... TTFTTTFTTT
skbun
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/2/2a/W ... 00k_5c.png

AM in SW Shasta, NW Tehama, Central Trinity Counties, CA; Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, WA