Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by harling
razor2k wrote:Waze should not be routing through parking lot or private roads to get you to your destination. Maybe Bing location pins are erroneously in a parking lot rather than the correct location. Since waze thinks that's where you're going it leads you there.
In the case of shopping malls (or any large parking lot that serves multiple destinations), that is the desired behavior.
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by HavanaDay
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Here are notes from the US Meetup. I posted my notes and go some others to provide more info, but there still may be some things missing. However, the majority of things we can share are here.

Other Items
  • The POI database will become part of waze (instead of using bing)
  • Ehud said he wanted to include all driveable surfaces and annotate all parking lots, no matter how small. He said this would allow waze to tell someone where to park (based on the parking history of folks going to the same destination).
So are we suppose to draw all parking lots as landmarks now? And what did you infer he meant by driveable surfaces? Does that include all parking lot roads or still just the major roads in and out as per usual.
HavanaDay
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by jmp316
I am interested in getting more clarity on parking lot roads ASAP. I've been mapping a lot of them lately, but don't want to do more if a big change is coming soon. The level of detail to map these is in question as well. How detailed should these be in parking lots that are so small and hardly used? I've seen a lot of sloppy work on parking lot roads and it takes lots of time to clean them up. Looking forward to clarity on this...
jmp316
Send a message

Post by jondrush
HavanaDay wrote: So are we suppose to draw all parking lots as landmarks now? And what did you infer he meant by driveable surfaces? Does that include all parking lot roads or still just the major roads in and out as per usual.
The quick answer is no. Wait for Waze to figure out how they want to work it.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
As with all things Waze, yes, someday.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Nice photo. Good thing we hired a professional photographer with a tripod to take that for us. :mrgreen:

[EDIT: Damn it! I forgot to turn in that receipt. :x ]
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Nacron wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Other Items
  • Ehud said “don’t make map changes to work around bugs”.
Was there any discussion on U turns? Bowties are a way to work around that bug....
The point was not to make one off changes without first reporting the problem. If it is not being fixed anytime soon, then we can discuss if we create a workaround.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
ohiostmusicman wrote:This is the issue I have. The most recent encounter I had was here. I was on my way to Clark for gas and someone had put in a parking lot road at the Wendy's just to the NW. Even though the address in Waze via gas lookup was correct, the location pin was closer to the Wendy's parking lot road than Apollo Dr and it wanted me to enter the Wendy's parking lot to finish my trip. I know the area enough to know that wouldn't work (insert hilarious joke about Wendy's food and gas here). I deleted the Wendy's road because of this.
I believe the problem you experienced was the current Lat/Long address information for the station from Bing was closer to Wendy's. Once Waze is using the internal address information that problem could be solved without deleting roads. :shock:
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Kuhlkatz
AlanOfTheBerg wrote: Decisions Made
  • Rename US "Dirt/4x4" road type to "Unpaved" for clarity.
  • Create new US "4x4/Offroad" road type as Waze wants all paths of vehicle traffic, no matter how remote or how its used, to be mapped.
Alan,

Not sure if it was discussed to this level, but taking non-paved road classification into consideration for other areas, would the 'Unpaved' not be better expressed as a flag to indicate a non-paved surface, similar to the toll flag, instead of yet another non-flexible and useless road type?
This way the existing road classification could still be maintained, and "4x4 only" routes can still be expressed as-is.

With possible future 'cooperation' with other corporations in mind, this would likely be the better and more logical choice imo.
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
[img]https:///DwNb3R[/img]
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing

Post by Machete808
Assuming it's too soon to be revising all the landmarks in the area to conform with the previously discussed guidelines? Is something definitive going to be published?
Machete808
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/on9 ... i.png?dl=0https://www.dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s ... x.png?dl=0
U.S. Local Champ
Hawaii State Manager
California State Manager
Country manager, U.S.
Welcome, new editors:
Here's a good place to start!