Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by CTGreybeard
AndyPoms wrote:BJ's, Costco, Stop & Shop all have branded gas stations, so be careful when editing the list...
Hmmm, at Costco (and maybe BJ's, too) you must be a member to buy gas. If we have Costco stations are we going to route someone, anyone, there? Maybe the name ought to be "Costco [Members Only]" or some such ...
CTGreybeard
Send a message

Post by CTGreybeard
I've seen a delivery truck at Costco and, IIRC, the name on the truck was "Murphy" ... who knows who refined what was inside? Barring concrete evidence to the contrary, I agree that Unbranded would be the best choice.
CTGreybeard
Send a message

Post by CTGreybeard
Wow! Thanks, The1! I learned more than I ever thought there was to know about it. Especially about Murphy. I have a lot more respect for those guys.

However, whilst editing many stations in my area tonight I did come across the Costco in my area and the Brand listed was "Costco" ... so I guess we don't need to fret much about "Unbranded" stations. I did come across two or three local stations that didn't have a brand auto-filled and as I know they aren't affiliated with any major brand (or minor for that matter) I labeled them "Unbranded."

If this exercize does one thing it drives up those editing points!!! :roll:
CTGreybeard
Send a message

Post by hamster--
shirlig stated that we should not delete stations they integrated. What about stations that have recently closed? Can I safely delete that and it will be removed from the database? EDIT: CBenson already stated this question.

Also, I have not yet found one with the "address" entered. What is the proper format for addresses in that box? Or should we wait for them to appear as they should have?..
hamster--
Send a message
Last edited by hamster-- on Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post by hamster--
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Is anyone noticing that the ALL CAPS (added) stations do not have City/State info? I've found two, but unsure if this is to be expected.
confirmed
hamster--
Send a message

Post by hamster--
Well, according to @wazemapping, deleting non-existent-station landmarks is ok.
hamster--
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
Okay, so I've been finding ones that are new on the map, and they show as a tiny little square that is only visible at the closest zoom levels (they disappear at the 100m/500ft zoom level, but then again, all gas stations seem to disappear at that level). Not a big problem...just move them over the proper location and stretch so it will show up on the client in the correct place.

In this permalink, there is a station already there, a Discount Zone. The Waze imported gas station says AMES DISCOUNT, which may be the formal name of the station across the street to the west, but isn't on a sign anywhere. The actual location it's showing doesn't have a gas station at all. Just a little cigarette store with a completely different name, so I"m assuming it has to be a duplicate of the gas station. One is going to have to be deleted, but which?

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... rks=711209
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
AndyPoms wrote:What about Gas Station Landmarks that were pre-existing? Like these two https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... TTTTTTTFTT that I created back in May in anticipation of this change? Were they updated to link to the Gas Price System?
Some of them did, and were obvious because the name changed to ALL CAPS and in some cases, the name changed completely.

Others, specifically ones with simple names like Exxon and Shell (among others) didn't change at all.

Also, none of the new stations have City/State info.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
Now that I'm seeing how it works, there's a lot of brands in the list that really aren't brands.

These are brands:

Alon
Amoco
Citgo
Conoco
Diamond Shamrock
Exxon
Fina
Phillips 66
Shell
Sunoco
Tenneco
Texaco
Union 76

These are not brands, but store/gas station names:
Brothers Food Mart
Discount Zone
Home Depot
Tonys Gasoline
...dozens of others.

I think we need another crack at that list.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
AndyPoms wrote:
CTGreybeard wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:BJ's, Costco, Stop & Shop all have branded gas stations, so be careful when editing the list...
Hmmm, at Costco (and maybe BJ's, too) you must be a member to buy gas. If we have Costco stations are we going to route someone, anyone, there? Maybe the name ought to be "Costco [Members Only]" or some such ...
I've gotten URs about them NOT being in the Gas Price System, so they should be on the map. I don't have any objections to a "Members Only" tag.
Sam's Club is also in the system and they're members only.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message