Converting gas station venues to landmarks [US]

Image This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: Converting gas station venues to landmarks [US]

Postby kentsmith9 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:52 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:1. Yes, that is my understanding and what I've written in the guidelines post.

Sorry, I missed that one... viewtopic.php?f=129&t=46426 :(

I spend an incredible amount of time on Waze and I still can barely even touch the surface of all the threads in the forums. :?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:05 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:I spend an incredible amount of time on Waze and I still can barely even touch the surface of all the threads in the forums. :?

FASTER! :mrgreen:
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby skapur1 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:20 am

AndyPoms wrote:I think that the "Brand" field should relate to the Marketing/Signage as that is most visible.

I think this is a simple and easy to follow rule. Just like any other street sign (or expressway exit sign...)

Waze editors are not gasoline quality control police and so should not try to enforce branding agreements by what brand truck goes to what brand gas station.
skapur1

Postby AndyPoms » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:22 am

skapur1 wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:I think that the "Brand" field should relate to the Marketing/Signage as that is most visible.

I think this is a simple and easy to follow rule. Just like any other street sign (or expressway exit sign...)

Waze editors are not gasoline quality control police and so should not try to enforce branding agreements by what brand truck goes to what brand gas station.

Please see my more detailed post here: viewtopic.php?f=129&t=46426&start=10#p418782
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Riamus » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:14 am

It was suggested that I ask this here as there's little movement in the NC forum. Which name is best to use for the gas stations? In one location nearby, there are 2 gas stations across the street from one another and both were imported. Both have a local name and a brand/franchise name. One station is labeled with their local name, but all signage at the location says Citgo. You can't find the local name on any sign there. The other station has the local name on the signage, but the imported name is the franchise name. It's my opinion that these should be listed by whatever is most prominent the signage. If the brand or franchise is the most visible name, then I think that should be used. If the local name is the most visible name, then I think that is the one that should be used. Basically, on a case-by-case basis. I wanted to get some advice from others before deciding to do that, though.

Btw, just as a side note in case anyone hasn't noticed yet. If an imported gas station was imported at the wrong location (for example, one of the 2 I mentioned was imported about 1/4 mile or so away from the correct location), the update gas price feature from the client will not find it when you're at the station even if you have corrected the placement of the landmark. You'll have to drive to where it was imported in order to update the price. I'm guessing it's using the imported GPS coordinates instead of the coordinates of the landmark. I'm sure they will correct that once the gas feature is completed, but it's something to keep in mind.
ImageImage
Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S3.
Riamus

Postby CrackedLCD » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:20 am

You guys are waaay over thinking this naming scheme. Do what GasBuddy and YP and everyone else does: use the brand name on the sign. If no brand name, use the station's name. If that isn't obvious, say Unbranded.

It is completely irrelevant to the users whether Costco gets their gas from BP or Conoco or Marathon. It's a Costco gas station and it should be labelled as such. Walmart stations are all Murphy USA unless they're not on-property, then they're Murphy Express. Sam's Club is Sam's Club. We should follow the same rules other gas price sites use for the sake of clarity.

In my area, we have a lot of Tom Thumb stations (the Kroger one, not the one in the midwest) and they all use CITGO. CITGO even has their logo on some of the pumps, but everyone knows it as Tom Thumb. So that's how they're labelled. Only the non-Tom Thumb CITGOs are called CITGOs around here.
~CrackedLCD
AM for Baldwin-Mobile Cos., AL // Grenada-LeFlore-Carroll Cos., MS // Escambia-Santa Rosa Cos., FL // CM for the USA

Moto Droid Turbo (Android 5.1) on Verizon Wireless
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Riamus » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:24 am

Just in case you were replying to me rather than the previous posts, I'm referring to the Name field, not the Brand field. :)
ImageImage
Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S3.
Riamus

Postby sketch » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:39 am

Don't use Unbranded unless there is absolutely zero branding on the station, pumps, and store. Leave the Brand drop-down blank (top option) if the station is generic.

I like to put the name of the store in the Name field and the gas station in the Brand field when both are obvious. For example, there are a lot of Exxon / Circle K combos around, so I'll put "Circle K" in the name field and set the brand as "Exxon". I think it'd be good to establish this as a standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby PhantomSoul » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:50 am

I don't see how anything other than the most prevalent sign you see by the side of the road is relevant here. Just my $0.02 ;)
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Waze Editing Manual | USA Road Types | USA Forum
Verizon iPhone 6 / iOS 9.3.2 / Waze 4.6
PhantomSoul
Country Manager
Country Manager

Converting gas station venues to landmarks [US]

Postby sketch » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:52 am

PhantomSoul wrote:I don't see how anything other than the most prevalent sign you see by the side of the road is relevant here. Just my $0.02 ;)

Exxon Circle K has a huge Exxon logo and a huge Circle K logo on their signs. Some other places do this too (like the Cracker Barrel Store chain).

It also gives us guidance for instances where both are available in the Brand field, like Exxon and Circle K, or Shell and Cracker Barrel (IIRC). There are stations which are only Circle K, or only Cracker Barrel, but when it's both, we should put the "more gassy" brand in the Brand part.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to United States