US Gas Stations Guidance (after April 2013 merge)

Image This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: delilush

Re: US Gas Stations Guidance (after April 13 merge)

Postby whatnt » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:34 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:There are then also medium-sized chains or franchise-type operations which, even in the same city and a few miles apart, which, despite having the same name on the sign, purchase differently-branded gasoline. For a driver who really likes and relies on Chevron gasoline, it's important to know that "Lefty's Gas" right at the exit sells Shell gas, whereas the "Lefty's Gas" 3 miles off the freeway sells Shell, because that driver will want to head to the Shell-selling station.

This is somewhat of an old thread, but I have information related to this that may be of interest. I know of a gas station that while is a generic gas station without major brand labeling (It's named "Steve's Gas"), it sells 76 brand gas and it accepts 76 credit cards. So being able to configure generic stations in Waze with known gas brands can be beneficial.
ImageImage
whatnt
Master Raider
Master Raider

Re: US Gas Stations Guidance (after April 2013 merge)

Postby WestLAkid » Mon May 12, 2014 4:11 pm

Is this the correct thread to request a new Gas Station Brand be added to the database?
We have an "SP - Super Petrol" station in the area. As the brand is not on the database, the station is Nameless on the app.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-118.4 ... 089.102274

I haven't had the chance to read through all 17+ pages of this thread, so I hope this question hasn't been addressed in prior posts.

Thanks for adding.
WestLAkid

Postby WeeeZer14 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:10 am

From Sam's Club website:
Please Note:

At some Sam's Clubs, you do not have to be a member to purchase fuel, but you do have to be a member in order to obtain the discount.
Members may not use their Walmart Stores credit at Sam's Club gas stations.
Please contact your local Club to learn whether Membership is required.

BJs website:
A paid BJ's Membership is required to purchase gasoline or diesel fuel at all BJ's Gas® Stations.

Costco website
Q: Can anyone buy gas at the Costco Gas Station?
A: The Gas Station is open to Costco members only. There is an exception: Costco Cash Card customers do not need to be Costco members.
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
WeeeZer14

Postby Thortok2000 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:16 am

I'm only two, but I edit/update gas stations all the time to position them where they actually are and add the address line and often update the brand as well. I wish there was a way to find them all in my area and update them but they're so tiny I'd have to go over the map with a comb to find them all... So I just generally edit them as a find them.
ImageImage
Area Manager of Greenville, SC! ^_^
Thortok2000
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby the1who » Sat May 11, 2013 1:00 pm

CBenson wrote:
CBenson wrote:Personally I don't think stations like Costco or PXs that aren't open to the general public should be in the database at all unless there is a method to exclude them from low price searches conducted by the general public.

This was my opinion mentioned in passing regarding the initial brand discussion. Is there any further guidance on this subject? Should I be adding gas stations to the map that are not open to the general public?

General public, as in stations that the municipalities use? Or the ones that are for fleet usage? I have seen stations like that around here, I don't add them, they aren't of benefit to the price search or map IMO.

Or are you talking like club stations like Sam's and Costco, member only stations? Just curious what you meant as far as those two types of definitions from general public. I add those stations, as I am a member and if I am home or abroad, I'd like to be able to search for them, and I can see where someone might say those aren't open to general public. Just wondered what you meant, thanks.
Global and US Champ, USA PLN ARC, and US Country Manager
Android Beta Leader
Direct E-mail: waze.midwest@gmail.com

LG V20 - 7.0 | Waze 4.35.0.19
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby the1who » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:47 pm

I have seen that too Mike, I just haven't got to dissect it as you have, I am just stating I have ran into that issue.
Android Beta Leader

the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby the1who » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:43 pm

russblau wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Costco is a store name. I do not believe it owns any refineries. It purchases gas from another company. Kirkland is also a pseudo- brand name, IMO. They just buy someone else's stuff and put their name on it. Costco makes nothing. Except cash.

I don't dispute anything you say, but you're missing the point. A "brand" is a mark or name used to identify a product to prospective purchasers. In simple terms, it is whatever the sign above the gas pumps says. It has nothing to do with who makes what, only who is selling it. If the gas station says it is selling Costco Gas, then Costco is the brand of its gas. If a gas station says it is selling Acme Gas ("preferred by 4 out of 5 coyotes"), then that is its brand. Whether the company owns any refineries or tanker trucks is no more relevant than whether the crude oil came from Saudi Arabia, Venezuela, or Texas.

If you take a look at my post here, Costco doesn't sell their brand of gas, they buy from whoever is the cheapest at the time to fulfill their order. http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=129&t=46378&start=20#p418186

To be a Phillips 66/Circle K brand, or Conoco/7-Eleven brand station (be it Bob's 66, or Sharon's Conoco), they buy fuel from the distributors, but in filling that order, they add their additives and detergents to their specification to the base octane to meet their standards in order to sell it as their fuel brand. So name's are important in some cases for finding the station.

There is a Cenex station here in my local town, C & H, that is their name, they sell Cenex branded fuels. Or there is a Kicks 66 station, they sell Phillips branded fuels, but their name is Kicks 66. I guess I am lost in this debate over name/brand...except for Costco in my research last night :D

Wal-Mart sells fuel, but their stations are Murphy stations in this region. To sell a brand of fuel and franchise as a certain type of station, Shell, Conoco, etc, the franchiser adheres to the company's policy of what is in their fuel they sell. It is then the distributor that makes sure they get the order right, because it is all coming from the same tank, just different flavorings added.
Android Beta Leader

the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby SoCalPat » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:06 am

Shawndoc, Gas stations are still disappearing. A while back, along Coast Hwy in Oceanside, CA I noticed they'd been deleted, I know they were deleted because I'd updated the gas prices previously. I added them back, and locked them to level 3. After that (and I think it was around the time of your post here) I was able to verify that the gas stations were active as I was able to update the prices. So today I noticed they are gone again. All of them best I can tell.

Something else I noticed, I changed Mission Ave to one way reflecting the construction going on (it's going to be one way west bound permanently, see: http://www.ci.oceanside.ca.us/gov/dev/eng/maip.asp ). Someone had changed it to two way on 31 Dec 2013 (catintheoven or something similar). I changed it back.

So is someone going around making changes maliciously or ignorantly?

If this is the wrong place to past this or if I've wandered off topic, advanced apologies.
SoCalPat

Postby sketch » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:48 pm

mdavidsonjr wrote:The gas station landmark is not suppressing speed data today. This is the first time I have noticed this in a while. I got 2 are you in traffic alerts while sitting a stations today. Is the land mark supposed to suppress this or not . If not then I might need to draw a Peking lot road there.

I think it only suppresses "missing road" MPs. I don't think it actually suppresses jam detection.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • usa country manager • new orleans
2017 chevrolet ss sedan 6mt • slipstream blue metallic
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:52 pm

I will do so now.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • usa country manager • new orleans
2017 chevrolet ss sedan 6mt • slipstream blue metallic
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to United States