This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by AlanOfTheBerg
CBenson wrote:I'd hate some waze staff person in Israel to check the local stations and conclude the bug has been fixed or otherwise doesn't exist.
Then I will ridicule them. Privately.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I was thinking last night that the "instant" gas station change may be related to the removal of categories in the app, and that may be related to the upcoming POI feature in the system. They may have decided to switch gas station lookup to a different interim system.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
jemay wrote:Are we sure that the new created gas station is getting the automated updates via the third party (not via us wazers using the app?)
I am not so sure I care much about this. They can't get it working right after so long.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Gas stations were missing in the app and in the editor for a couple of days but are now back.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
qwaletee wrote:I have a request to remove two closed gas stations at one corner. Any way to go about this right now?

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... 78&env=usa
A beta editor could delete them now, but since that beta test landmark layer is not the production layer, I don't think there will be any effect on the app until the layer is moved to production when the new editor version is released.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
sketch wrote:I see only "ARCO" in the Brand list.
"Arco" is further down in ASCII order. In ASCII, capital letter codes are lower than lowercase, so "ARCO" and "Arco" are not listed together.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
sketch wrote:...perhaps "Arco" should be removed. I don't know how receptive staff is to such changes.
I agree that if the brand is in all-caps, as their website confirms, the "Arco" stations should be changed to "ARCO" and "Arco" removed from the list. And get the list alphabetized, not by ASCII code.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
qwaletee wrote:I recall someone posting that if you leave the brand blank (not "Unbranded"), then the name you type is what will show in the gas function.
That was the functionality before and is not working at this time.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AndyPoms
We have private gas pumps where I work, so I talked with the guy who orders our fuel and he explained how everyone orders their fuel.

First off, everyone has to go through a local distributor. Most of the major brands have contracts with these distributors to handle all of their affiliated stations (in a specific area) - hence the tanker trucks that say "Mobil" or "Gulf" on the side. If you look at the door of the Tractor, you will see the Company Name of the distributor - most likely not "Mobil" (although you may see the Mobil logo, another name will be there too) - that name is legally required on all Commercial Vehicles.

Each station who wants fuel negotiates their own contract, this covers the price per gallon, the delivery charge and what additives are added to the raw fuel. Everyone gets the same raw fuel, the difference is the additives. Major brands have specific additive blends which can vary by state and time of year. For example the laws in NY and CA may be different as to what additives HAVE to be in the fuel, and in the winter a station in Maine needs a different blend than a station in Florida due to the temperature (to prevent the water that is in the fuel from freezing while sitting in the tanks).

Based on this, places like Stop & Shop, BJ's, Costco, etc have their own specific blend of fuel and additives that should be consistent across multiple stations in an area (and for the most part nationwide except when it is required to be different by law & temperature). This shows that these stations are in fact selling their own "Brand" of fuel. Unbranded should only be used for individual stores or small, local chains - I think it could be even be changed to "Independent" instead of "Unbranded" as they are simply free of affiliate agreements.

Places like Sam's Food Stores & Ravi brand the convienience store and if they sell gas, it is branded differently (Citgo, Gulf, Sunoco, Valero) and the brand of those stores should be NAMED "Sam's Food Store" but BRANDED Gulf (or Valero, etc) as that is the blend of the fuel sold. For example, THIS LANDMARK (STREETSIDE) shows a Sam's Food Store with Sunoco Pumps and is marked correctly (All info is from the import, I only resized it yesterday).
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I found a gas station today, 15.5km from the correct location. https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... -122.76222 is where Waze has it (it's a linked station) and the railroad segment I created points to the real location. The only similarities to the locations are both are on a road named "Colton." But totally different cities.

So, should I move the existing/linked landmark? Or delete and re-create?
Move, you need to keep the OPIS ID information intact so the station will get 3rd Party Updates.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ