Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by the1who
doctorkb wrote:
Then please share with us why other Champs are bragging about how they have a local airport working as a POI. (ref: viewtopic.php?f=129&t=39628&p=433788&hilit=pdx#p433788 )
I'm going to chime in, not to add fuel to the fire, but for a point of view.

I have MCI mapped, and the economy parking lots. Locals who know that Southwest departs out of Terminal B, most of the time know that they can park in Economy Lot B to get a shuttle straight to the door of Terminal B.

But here is the break down, Home Depot is a 'for profit' business. The airport isn't so much of a 'for profit' as to need to drive customers in for sales with the likes of discounts and other offers that the biz sub-domain offers.

I browsed to San Francisco area on the client last night to look for traffic jams to compare to the recently released Google Maps, there were plenty of Home Depot POI Pins on the map. That is why we stressed we don't map businesses because not all businesses can feasibly be mapped in a sense that adds value. Some businesses could get missed, and that would in a sense could be looked at as biased editors only mapping their favorite businesses.

But to map an airport is crucial for some respects so people can get details of getting in and out of an airport, not a big box store's parking lot. Anyone who needs a flight to catch can find it, at one location, there are many places that sell hammers. Places that sell hammers come and go more often than airports. With a bit of oversight, we can also get behind and forget about that one store that closed and relocated or closed for good.
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Global and US Champ, USA PLN A/RC Emeritus, Nevada State Manager and US Country Manager
Android Beta Leader
Direct E-mail: vegas.waze@gmail.com

Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra - 14.0 | Waze 4.99

Post by thefatveganchef
I think the issue with landmarks touching roads is more a cosmetic issue than anything. It just looks cleaner in the client to be going along the fence line or just next to the road. Landmarks do not affect navigation.
thefatveganchef
Send a message

Post by thefatveganchef
There aren't any landmarks currently suppress traffic. It was tested a while back to use the parking lot landmark, but we have found it doesn't work or didn't work as designed. Landmarks should be used sparingly. The only time I will use a parking lot landmark is if it is helpful to someone who normally doesn't go to that place and it can be confusing, like an airport. Except for gas stations, and major things like airports, Disney, the Vatician, for profit venues should not be landmarked.
thefatveganchef
Send a message

Post by thefatveganchef
Riamus wrote:Ok, thanks for the info. I must have been going through old information that referred to suppressing traffic. So nothing currently suppresses traffic. Got it. The question then is... is there any chance it will start to suppress traffic once whatever wasn't working as expected is able to be worked out? If so, should the standard be to avoid crossing roads on all landmarks just to avoid having to search for and fix all of those landmarks later?

And I definitely agree about landmarks attached to roads. They are a pain to edit because of the difficulty of grabbing the landmark's node instead of the road's node.

@crazycomputingdotnet, I tend to agree with you about landmarks for the most part. I definitely agree to not landmark businesses. But I see value in landmarking things like emergency services (police, fire, and medical) and things like schools. A pin would be just as good, but that's not currently an option. Regarding other things, should we look into removing them when we come across them or just leave them? Things like country clubs, quarries, malls, etc.? Obviously, businesses need to go. I'm also in the group who thinks parking lot landmarks shouldn't be used except when absolutely necessary or for public parking areas so people can easily find those in a city they don't know well. Parking lot roads keep drivers from snapping to a real road and it looks better in the client to be driving on something instead of on a white area when you are in a parking lot (at least on the main roads in the parking lot). And as long as you're snapped to a parking lot road or surrounded by parking lot roads if you're not snapped to anything, then you shouldn't be causing any traffic problems. So I think it's far better to go that route than to do what is done surrounding the link in my original post.
Parking lot road type does suppress traffic, just not any landmark type.

Emergency services, schools, important government buildings, large malls, and like I said before important places like airports, Disney etc I will landmark/not delete. But every individual fast food restaurant I delete in a heartbeat if I see them. It is a judgement call on some things but for the most part unless it is something of some kind of significance or a gas station it shouldn't be included.

Parking lot roads should be just the main outer area of the lot and not every lane. It should guide to the lot but not to a space. (This might change in the future, but that is the current methodology currently).

More information about roads is in the wiki waze.com/wiki and there is an article in the works for landmarks as well.
thefatveganchef
Send a message

Post by TruckOttr
doctorkb wrote:
Again, I disagree.

I don't know the last (or first) time I saw a Home Depot that was closed. I also don't know the last time I passed one without the big orange sign sticking out and being super obvious. Same goes for Ikea, Walmart, Costco... you get the idea.
Sigh. And this is exactly why we SHOULDN'T have POIs as landmarks. San Francisco has one of the greatest (if not largest) number of users of Waze and guess what? There's no Ikea, no Walmart, no Home Depot...you get the idea. Many San Franciscans would not even know what these big box stores look like. Same goes for NYC.

Just because your worldview is one way, don't think that everyone sees, navigates and uses things exactly like you. That's one of the primary failures in user design.

There's a reason why acronyms like KISS stick around. Boil it down to the least common denominator. What do you have everywhere on the planet? Roads, govt buildings, parks and a few other things. Walmart and Home Depots are in a nanoscopic part of that bucket.

Waze is for everyone, not just you.
TruckOttr
Send a message
https://sign.wme-tools.com/images/signa ... d-0200.pnghttps://sign.wme-tools.com/images/signa ... ones-4.png
Hayward, CA, Reno/Sparks, NV, Elko/Spring Creek, NV and apparently the N. NV section of Portola Valley, CA. :-)

Post by WeeeZer14
New users need to know that we are not trying to reproduce Google Maps. I don't need to know every lane in the parking lot and then what aisle has the DVDs and then where the toilet is inside a store :)
Union_BB.png
(59.2 KiB) Downloaded 798 times
(Best Buy in Union NJ along US-22)
WeeeZer14
Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator

Post by WeeeZer14
Ditto for tons of little family cemeteries I find. Created by Admin and never updated by a human.
WeeeZer14
Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator