This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Mapping Emergency & Authorized Vehicles Only & Service Roads

Post by MGODLEW
So I'm getting mixed comments on Mapping Emergency & Authorized Vehicle Only / Service Roads. Hoping to get some insight and see if others agree with me. I've traveled through other states where these type of roads are labeled on the Waze map. Others have agreed labeling these are beneficial, I'm just looking for an official stance on these types of roads. Since Waze's primary goal is fast & quickest routing when traveling from A -> B, But providing safe means of travel while Wazing from A -> B is more important than getting there as quick as you can. I feel labeling these roads are beneficial to many, not just police or road maintenance people. For example, say you are driving down the road and experience car trouble. You are a lot safer pulling off onto one of these roads rather than sitting on the side of freeway with cars racing past you, which as a Police Officer I not only encourage but see people do all the time while I'm at work. Furthermore, the wiki doesn't mention anything about not labeling these types of roads, at least, I couldn't find anything on it. There is nothing dangerous or illegal about seeing them on the Waze map. If anything, it lets people know, "Hey you are not allowed to turn around here unless given permission to do so, otherwise make sure you keep on driving" They are clearly labeled just as I have seen in other states "Authorized Vehicles Only" & include no Waze routing through them. The roads also have physical signs posted at each location as well stating they are for Authorized Vehicles Only. I have consulted with a Waze Champ and stated the placement of these roads are okay as long as there was no routing through them and were listed as Private roads (which they are). Plus, its a benefit to other Wazers to see these roads on the map as these are known hiding/sitting spots for police. Take it from me..... No One Enjoys Getting Speeding Tickets :lol:

Example: Permalink

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: (Synopsis of Forum)
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Waze has stated they want everything mapped, including all dirt/4x4/offroads, fire service roads, emergency, roads, railroads, walking trails, etc. However!! They also state they cannot control routing from not using these. That's a huge conflict. The only way to resolve that conflict, at this time, is that they can be mapped, but never connected to the drivable infrastructure until such time that the routing algorithm can be totally prevented from considering these segments being used in routing. That is why we have railroads mapped but not connected. Along with other non-drivable stuff per the guidelines in the wiki. It may have future use, but today, it is very limited.

There is ample evidence that mapping any type of "usually not used for routing" or "emergency vehicle only" or other types of segments which should not be used, will be get used for routing under the right circumstances.

I would not map something which 1) has no value to the vast majority of drivers, 2) should not be considered by Waze for routing. This includes roads which one can drive on but should not. I classify those very similarly to Non-drivable segments.
MGODLEW
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:4659062

Send a message
Last edited by MGODLEW on Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 11 times in total.
I am best reached via Discord, give me an “@“

Post by dbraughlr
I saw where the OP named a mandatory truck brake check pullout road as "Authorized Vehicles Only" and disallowed turning onto it. I think that making it a parking lot road suffices. Technically, any driver could stop to check equipment. Waze should not route anyone onto the segment, especially because it will be much slower than staying on the highway.
dbraughlr
Send a message
Ѭ

Post by jasonh300
txemt wrote:I believe we're talking about the ones in the center for a quick turn around. Those shouldn't be marked at all. They're not for general public use.
There was an example very recently of one of these U-turn roads on an interstate being used for routing during a period of heavy traffic. That's why we strictly do not map them.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
Please remove these from all interstates and freeways in PA. Each one is an opportunity for an error and genuinely add nothing to the user experience that I can see.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
Routing through those roads can be deadly. That's all the reason you need to not have them on the map.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jwriddle
txemt wrote:I still say they shouldn't be mapped at all. They have nothing to do with traffic or directions. Using them (even with a disabled vehicle) will warrant a ticket. I understand the use of them for emergency vehicles, but the general public is to stay off of them unless directed by LEO or other authority.
I agree. They should only be used in case of a Zombie Apocalypse.
jwriddle
Send a message
iPhone 4 (VZW) • iOS 6.1.3 • Waze 3.7.3.0
Droid Mini (VZW) • Android 4.2.2 • Waze 3.7.3.0
[img]https:///NvxDK[/img]https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png
Jay W. RiddleArea Manager
US | Georgia: North Atlanta

Post by MGODLEW
AndyPoms wrote:Another consideration is that recently Waze has been routing across Private Roads that are attached to the Mass Pike (I-90) when users either have 1) Avoid Tolls enabled or 2) There is very heavy traffic.

One user was routed off and "Authorized Vehicles Only" gated ramp & another was routed through a MassDOT Maintenance Facility.
But, was routing mapped on these roads? I don't see how Waze can suggest a route to a road with turning restrictions turned on.
MGODLEW
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by MGODLEW
MReiser4670 wrote:Waze doesn't work w/ simple 'on' or 'off' turn restrictions. It applies penalties to routing actions that are restricted. The only way to make sure nobody will be routed down a mapped road is to not 'junction' it to the highway.
How can that be? For example: If I'm driving down a road that connects to a T-intersection BUT has a concrete divider going down the middle of the main road with traffic going only in 1 direction on each side of the divider and only allows turns coming from 1 direction. With the proper turning restrictions enabled, Waze will not route you to turn onto the side road Thru the concrete divider? Same rule applies to this, no?
MGODLEW
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by MGODLEW
Riamus wrote:
A private road should have enough penalty to avoid routing through it (service roads aren't the same and I've seen those being used for those Authorized Vehicles Only connections between divided highways), but with enough traffic problems, Waze could potentially route you through it. We don't know the penalties applied, or at least if anyone does know, it isn't being made public here. So we don't know how difficult it is to be routed through a private road. Without that knowledge, it makes it difficult to have an official stance on using them. We could just leave them disconnected and that solves the problem. You'd see the road, but couldn't route on it no matter what. Consider the use of those is fairly limited, we'd get few MPs caused by driving over disconnected segments, but we'd still get them. So which is better? No MPs, but possible bad routing? Or good routing, with possible MPs? Personally, I think having it connected as a private road is a good option, but that is certainly not an official stance and there are better options that could be done if Waze was willing to add them.
I like your answer. I can't believe waze doesn't have a "Can not turn here option" rather utilizes "a suggested routing algorithm"I don't have a problem disconnecting them from the road to make it as close as possible to the connecting road without actually connecting so that it definitely doesn't get routed thru but it would be nice if I don't have to go back and update them all unless that is the official stance on the issue. Worst Case Scenario: if it does route someone thru one of the roads it will still announce and show "Authorized Vehicles Only" I would assume people have enough common sense knowing they can't take the road unless "Authorized" to do so. However, we all know what assuming does...Makes an ASS out of U & ME. Well, not so much you in this case, just me.. :lol: Perhaps selecting a different road type would be more beneficial? Listing them as a Dirt Road vs. Private Road vs. Service Road? Anyone know the "weight" each road type holds in the routing algorithm? As far as routing purposes, which one does Waze consider as a "Last Resort" per say?
MGODLEW
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by MGODLEW
Is this Wazes "Official" stance on mapping these? I had "banished(6)" allow the placement of these roads? Why the conflict? Furthermore, why can these be mapped in other states but not here in PA? I think I've shared some genuine benefits of why having these mapped would be beneficial on the map, plus the likelihood of a routing error occurring is relatively low or slim to none from my understanding which was slightly covered in posts on this forum, Unless you can please provide better situations where these would cause definite errors on a regular basis? Is there anything in any of the Wiki's regarding these roads? If so, could some clarification be added to them on whether to map these or not and how to add them?
MGODLEW
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message