This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

MPs and U-Turns: Suggested route frequently ignored

Post by PhantomSoul
https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-74.92 ... TTTTTTTTFT

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the map at the MP in the link above, and from the looks of things, it looks like Waze simply wanted the driver to turn into the "dead end" street to turn around, since u-turns are enabled (or at least were enabled) by default at dead ends, likely because of a missed turn, either accidental or deliberate. Perhaps if I knew more about where the suggested route was going?

Most drivers - at least ones I know - do not like to turn around, or otherwise backtrack after an accidental missed turn, even if the missed route is still the mathematically the best way to go, Instead, they expect the navigator simply to just find the next route in that direction, especially here on the east coast, where there's like 100 ways to get just about everywhere. As a result, they're likely to keep ignoring the "turn-around" directions until the next possible route becomes the best mathematical route, which in turn will generate MPs on busier roads where enough people might do this.

My question is, whether there is anyway to stop these from popping up for good, other than simply marking them as solved and then seeing them pop up again when the evaluation program for these is next run? Should the U-turn in the dead-end be disabled, perhaps?
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

POSTER_ID:11269522

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
CTGreybeard wrote:
shawndoc wrote:Waze only seems to do this with roads where U-turn is enabled on the end node. Making sure that is hard-disabled will stop it (at least on that street).
Not in my experience it won't. I don't think the u-turn thingee has any effect at all right now.
We proven Waze does use u-turns at dead-end nodes several times. I experimented with all four states and it only stops using them when it is hard restricted.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by CBenson
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
CTGreybeard wrote:
shawndoc wrote:Waze only seems to do this with roads where U-turn is enabled on the end node. Making sure that is hard-disabled will stop it (at least on that street).
Not in my experience it won't. I don't think the u-turn thingee has any effect at all right now.
We proven Waze does use u-turns at dead-end nodes several times. I experimented with all four states and it only stops using them when it is hard restricted.
I agree that hard restricting U-turns does have an effect and does reduce the number URs that appear to use a dead end to turn around. Its not completely effective, but what in waze is?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CTGreybeard
CTGreybeard
Send a message

Post by CTGreybeard
PhantomSoul wrote:Sounds like disabling the U-Turn at the end of the dead end may help to an extent, but otherwise, these Suggested route frequently ignored MPs continue to just be an ongoing whack-a-mole game...
Agreed, we can disable the u-turns but that will simply push the problem down the road a piece until it can suggest a different u-turn. I'd really like to get to the bottom of the problem ... Why are the u-turns being requested at all? And, secondarily, why are they being ignored? I can understand why someone might not want to go down some Lane to make a u-turn but I have seen these suggesting u-turns over legitimate streets and not being followed.
CTGreybeard
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
CTGreybeard wrote:
I think you are correct. I've got some u-turns enabled that I test on a regular basis (they're down the street from my house, along the path that is away from my house, but towards my mailbox). Ideally, Waze would u-turn me back to my house at the first one, but no, it directs me down three more segments until it can find me a dead-end to u-turn me on.
doctorkb
Answers: 4
Send a message

Post by HandofMadness
Waze only seems to do this with roads where U-turn is enabled on the end node. Making sure that is hard-disabled will stop it (at least on that street).
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Mike-1323
PhantomSoul wrote:Most drivers - at least ones I know - do not like to turn around, or otherwise backtrack after an accidental missed turn, even if the missed route is still the mathematically the best way to go, Instead, they expect the navigator simply to just find the next route in that direction, especially here on the east coast, where there's like 100 ways to get just about everywhere. As a result, they're likely to keep ignoring the "turn-around" directions until the next possible route becomes the best mathematical route, which in turn will generate MPs on busier roads where enough people might do this.
I know in my case this isn't always the reason. Waze's slow reactions speed and the time that it takes for the routing server to come up with a new route after missing a turn often means that I'm already past the turn that Waze directs me to take for the new route by the time the route is calculated. So missing one turn often causes me to have several instances of "not following the suggested route" because of the slowness of the routing server.
Mike-1323
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

[img]https:///L6ziL[/img] [img]https:///0NAfp[/img]

Required reading: Quick Start Guide, Best Practices, USA Road Types

Post by PhantomSoul
Sounds like disabling the U-Turn at the end of the dead end may help to an extent, but otherwise, these Suggested route frequently ignored MPs continue to just be an ongoing whack-a-mole game...
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message