How do we navigate to Burning Man?

[ img ] This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: How do we navigate to Burning Man?

Postby LookMomAunicorn » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:17 am

WAZE RAVERS :3
LookMomAunicorn

Postby jemay » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:12 pm

Search for "Black Rock City", NV, United States
jemay
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AtariBaby » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:14 pm

By the way, I will be going early and there is a microwave tower inside burning man for cellphone communications. They disable it on Sunday night, however, due to the overwhelming number of people entering. I don't know if this information is helpful.
AtariBaby

Postby AtariBaby » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:13 pm

Hi, it's 2014 and I still can't Burning Man to show up on Waze navigation. Please advise. 65,000 people, a great many who are waze users, could benefit!
AtariBaby

Postby AtariBaby » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:08 pm

Thanks for the link and the info!
AtariBaby

Postby Daknife » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:21 am

Just as a note, cell service at the BM site in general sucks big time regardless of carrier as the local towers have to normally service a population of less than 500, and when you put 70k people out there those few towers in range of the site are quickly overwhelmed. There is a small group trying to implement some boosters/local cell network and to provide better service, but with limitations that won't include outside data streams as needed for Waze.

I didn't go, I just read about this on slashdot. Here is the link to the slashdot posting about the effort.
http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/13/08/26/1544207/the-big-hangup-at-burning-man-is-cell-phones

So for the time being unless you've got a sat phone with data, Waze isn't really a good option for Burning Man, you are actually better off with a dedicated GPS device.
Daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby AtariBaby » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:38 pm

Result of trip:

I never was able to use the aforementioned preferred intersection or addresses for final destination. I realize this was exacerbated by weak to no signal there.

I believe Verizon users mostly have signal through that area, but AT&T was pretty useless between Wadsworth and the gate entrance to Black Rock City. Along that entire considerable stretch of road, I probably had AT&T signal for two five mile stretches, if that much.

Perhaps until the day cell coverage improves through that desolate route, this is as good as Waze can do here! It's an unfortunate limitation, being that 70,000 people commute to that location and must navigate massive traffic clogs, police checkpoints and traps.

Please let me know if there is anything this Wazer might do to improve the situation.
AtariBaby

Postby AtariBaby » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:43 pm

Hi

Still not working. Has that update gone through?

Gregory
AtariBaby

Postby skbun » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:31 am

In fact, as an appendix to what I just said, this is the problem the Waze engine has where with sufficiently low road types, it loses the ability to route as you approach a destination. In this case, Gerlach-Empire, NV to 'the segment where the gate to Burning Man on CR-34 is' fails, regardless of what the roads beyond that are typed. The routing engine is rejecting 'that length of primary street' as not reasonable to route on when it's the only thing between A and B. It's a known issue.

Retyping the road a distance on either side of BRC as minor highway should fix this on the next map update. I'll do this now.
skbun

Postby AtariBaby » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:27 am

Last edited by AtariBaby on Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
AtariBaby

Next

Return to United States