This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by MGODLEW
AlanOfTheBerg wrote: I prefer the more consistent and "pretty" version of the map where we classify by route type (interstate, us route, state route, county highway, etc.) That way, the route is easily visible on the display based on the color. If functional classification doesn't affect routing, then there's really no need to keep changing the color/type based on the current stretch of road. The map looks jumbled and ridiculous where a major highway changes from freeway, to major, to freeway, to major, to minor back to freeway all within 10 miles because that's what the functional class says. It looks utterly stupid and there's no functional benefit.
I completely agree, I would love to see road types set as toll, interstate, us, state, county, primary st, st, parking lot, private rds, dirt rds, & roads which are drivable but excluded from routing. All would have their own designated color. Not sure exactly how this concept would look on the client end but I sure wouldn't mind it too much if it was done properly. Color schemes aside, I do agree though something needs to be done regarding waze's preference to route over higher typed roads on long routes. This is kind of a major issue within waze, I feel wazers are being cheated per say which could ultimately effect the numbers of the entire waze community...In the end, why would someone use waze to route them on a route that takes 5 hours (also a toll road) when google can get you there in 3.5 (not a toll road)? :|
MGODLEW
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
I am best reached via Discord, give me an “@“

MGODLEW
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by MGODLEW
Update:

Routing from 18702 to 15215 now seems to recognize Rte 28 as a route starting Here

Routing from 15215 to 18702 now seems to recognize Rte 28 as a route starting Here
MGODLEW
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by sketch
MGODLEW wrote:My preferred route however would be SR-28. Far less traffic & seems to be the quickest route in my driving experience.
Check for similar type problems along that route (any street or primary street segment will make the route impossible to Waze).

It's also been shown that Waze tends to prefer Major Highways to Minor Highways. I would look to see if your state department of transportation provides a FHWA functional classification map. From the look of it, I would consider SR-28 to be a principal arterial, and perhaps a candidate for upgrade to a Major Highway.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
I will say that we are currently in the process of drafting a proposed major revision to the road type guidelines, based on both federal functional classification and federal/state highway systems (with local knowledge to back it up or change it where necessary).

Perhaps the most important part of this proposal for long-distance navigation is the Major Highway standard. Under this proposal, any route that is considered a "principal arterial" is to be a Major Highway. Principal arterials are non-freeway routes that are nevertheless considered the most important routes for long-distance travel in the combined federal and state highway systems.

SR-28 between Pittsburgh and I-80 is at the least a principal arterial route the entire way. http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Internet/bur ... lclassmaps (Jefferson, Clarion, Armstrong, Butler, and Allegheny counties)

Because of the way Waze's routing server works—to prefer Major Highway over Minor Highway for long distance routes—using Major Highway for all non-freeway principal arterial routes is pretty much a necessity. (Even despite routing, I would argue that any highway that's that important deserves a thicker line anyway.)

I'm not gonna say definitely go and change it now, but I want to paint the picture a little better.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
sketch wrote:I will say that we are currently in the process of drafting a proposed major revision to the road type guidelines, based on both federal functional classification and federal/state highway systems (with local knowledge to back it up or change it where necessary).
You've heard my "rant" before: when Waze fixes routing to not put such heavy preference on road type based on distance, then functional classification serves little to no purpose in routing algorithms and therefore we should not have guidelines based on such a classification.
But when is that happening? Ever?

And doesn't it make sense that the primary travel routes would be more prominent on the map?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Freeways are freeways, there's no other standard than that. You don't need a functional classification map to see what's fully-controlled-access and what's not.

What's most important here is routes considered "non-freeway primary arterials". These roads necessarily don't switch from one class to another (unless they become freeways for some portions—but a freeway is a freeway, so there's nothing you can do about it) because they are defined as primary routes for long-distance travel. PA-28 here and US-31(?) in Michigan are both principal arterials, and non-freeway for a significant portion of their lengths.

Surely these, at least, deserve to be "major highways".

I support using Major Highway for all US routes and Minor Highway for all State Highways—at a minimum. If the road itself merits it, either could be upgraded. I think that's always been the idea—state highways and US routes can be freeways, too, so it makes sense that a state highway could be a major highway. And that's where the functional classification comes in, to decide when state highways are important enough to be upgraded.

BTW, the US/Major and State/Minor system isn't supported by the wiki either. It's included as part of the proposal.

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
It's also important to consider that the default color scheme and most others don't have anywhere near the color differentiation as the editor and editors' scheme. Mostly thickness and shading.

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
If we adopted functional classification, it'd only change twice.

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
sketch wrote:If we adopted functional classification, it'd only change twice.
I've seen and bitched about Minor connected to Freeway, which then changes to Freeway again at the next ramp, which changes to Major two exits later due to at-grade intersection for only two segments, then back to Freeway again. This was a CM, and it was supposedly following functional class. It's a mess.
Are you proposing that actual freeways should, under some circumstances, be typed as something other than a freeway??

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message