This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by PhantomSoul
There's 2 levels of incompleteness here that shouldn't be confused:
  • Waze-App-Paved Roads: These appear in red in WME until their city and street names are provided and are omitted completely from the Waze App.
  • Unconfirmed Roads: These appear normally in WME, with the gray dots in the Waze App, and are omitted from navigation until confirmed. This can be done by driving over them with the Waze App turned on to confirm it is actually possible to do - a process often called munching. Try it next time you see a road like this to find out why its called that. You'll get extra points...
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by PhantomSoul
I didn't realize that the name unconfirmed referred to something else. Sorry.

I could've sworn that unmunched roads were omitted from directions, but being that most of them are now parking lots, at least in my area, it's hard to prove.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by RNJohnJ
I found some roads in a nearby cemetery that were unconfirmed. Most were. I drove through and munched them then the following day some other roads in the cemetery came up with dots. I once again drove the cemetery and munched them. My kids think I'm nuts but its fun.
RNJohnJ
Send a message

Post by robindlc
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Paved roads will not appear until being "touched" in the editor, but roads added from the editor, even if not confirmed, will appear on the map.
Wiki information is not accurate:
New roads are not be displayed on the Waze app until they are confirmed, meaning an editor sets the country, state (for the US), city, and street name. In the map editor, unconfirmed roads are displayed in red. Unconfirmed roads may be roads drawn in the editor or paved (recorded) from the app.
:roll:
robindlc
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by robindlc
Since my English is quite limited, I have stolen the words of Alan to put a notice on the wiki. :D
robindlc
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by robindlc
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:That warning is not applicable to that wiki page. That wiki page is about Creating and Editing segments directly in the editor. The paragraph which states that they won't appear in the map needs to be fixed, but Paving is not really addressed in this page at all. The "paved roads don't appear in the map" is mentioned later in the page.
Fully agree with you... It is the full paragraph Confirm the road by updating details which needs to be fixed.... but since I'm not feel confident to do it (English is not my mother tongue as everyone can see :lol: ) I just put the notice in the meantime...

Pls, feel free to remove, change, delete, or edit it.... In fact, it is what I was waiting... you to amend it ;)
robindlc
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by sketch
PhantomSoul wrote:I didn't realize that the name unconfirmed referred to something else. Sorry.

I could've sworn that unmunched roads were omitted from directions, but being that most of them are now parking lots, at least in my area, it's hard to prove.
Wouldn't be much use if I added a brand-new interstate ramp to the map and Waze refused to use it.

There was a time, back in my day... where we had more unmunched roads than munched roads. [*Pulls on suspenders*] Why, we had to drive 15 miles uphill in the snow both ways on unmunched roads to get to work! I tell ya, you kids don't know how good you got it! :mrgreen:
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!