Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by CBenson
sketch wrote:What about editing the geometry of SW Broadway Dr so it produces a "turn right" rather than a "stay to the right"?
The angle there is 134 degrees, so I wonder why it doesn't already produces a "turn right."
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
sketch wrote:I would zoom in far and add a geometry node to make the right turn from the ramp to SW Broadway Dr a 90º angle. That'll make the SW Broadway St look like a "best continuation" to the routing server. You won't get a "stay to the left" without a corresponding "stay to the right"
Sounds right to me, but clearly this intersection is not behaving as I think it should.
sketch wrote:when the names of the two segments are both different than that of the preceding segment.
I would have thought that the names would not matter if you eliminate the corresponding "stay to the right."
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Appears to be working.
Continue.png
(23.07 KiB) Downloaded 1388 times
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:...traveling south on Broadway and continuing straight at that same junction, now gives a "stay right" instead of nothing, and if you want to turn right, it doesn't give any command at all.
Looking at this in aerial and SV, perhaps this is actually a good thing. The main driving actually does "turn" to the left, but it's a curve and may not be considered a "turn."
So it looks good now? I'm not sure what you mean by "if you want to turn right, it doesn't give any command at all."
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by sketch
What about editing the geometry of SW Broadway Dr so it produces a "turn right" rather than a "stay to the right"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
CBenson wrote:
sketch wrote:What about editing the geometry of SW Broadway Dr so it produces a "turn right" rather than a "stay to the right"?
The angle there is 134 degrees, so I wonder why it doesn't already produces a "turn right."
That would make the controlling angle 46 degrees, which seems like a threshold figure. It may be that coming from a ramp type the threshold is set to favor "stay to the" rather than "turn".

I would zoom in far and add a geometry node to make the right turn from the ramp to SW Broadway Dr a 90º angle. That'll make the SW Broadway St look like a "best continuation" to the routing server. You won't get a "stay to the left" without a corresponding "stay to the right" when the names of the two segments are both different than that of the preceding segment.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I'm replying on this thread because I'm faced with a similar situation again. From the highlighted segment headed south from Burnside to US-26, Waze will currently give a "stay right" instruction, just because the name and road type changes, and the angle of the intersecting roadways east-west are not at 90 degrees.

I've already implemented a kludgy fix to get the roads to all cross at nearly 90 degrees. This is all very obnoxious.
I've implemented similar kludges to that a number of places in Michigan. My girlfriend's family seems to like living near roads that run diagonally through the otherwise completely logical metropolitan Detroit street grid. That leads to more than a couple weird "keep lefts" and "exit rights".

None as bad as this—I haven't had a messed up "stay straight" before—but in cases where "turn left" and "turn right" are the only really appropriate directions.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by the1who
I am curious, if might be excessive segments there, but add a new street segment that goes straight but right turn disabled, and move the one that can turn right a bit South as an experiment? Just wondered if it might be the segments associated with the database that a new segment with new segment id helps any possible way.
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Global and US Champ, USA PLN A/RC Emeritus, Nevada State Manager and US Country Manager
Android Beta Leader
Direct E-mail: vegas.waze@gmail.com

Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra - 14.0 | Waze 4.99