Argh! Straight-ahead gives "stay left": how to fix?

Image This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: Argh! Straight-ahead gives

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:13 pm

sketch wrote:
CBenson wrote:I would zoom in far and add a geometry node to make the right turn from the ramp to SW Broadway Dr a 90º angle. That'll make the SW Broadway St look like a "best continuation" to the routing server. You won't get a "stay to the left" without a corresponding "stay to the right" when the names of the two segments are both different than that of the preceding segment.

Done. Will check routing in a couple of days.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 23478
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: US Country Manager - Oregon, USA
Has thanked: 1084 times
Been thanked: 4596 times

Re: Argh! Straight-ahead gives "stay left": how to fix?

Postby CBenson » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:46 pm

Appears to be working.
Continue.png
Continue.png (23.07 KiB) Viewed 1058 times
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.3.0.2
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 10229
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:13 pm
Location: Crownsville, MD, US
Has thanked: 1041 times
Been thanked: 2310 times

Re: Argh! Straight-ahead gives "stay left": how to fix?

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:15 pm

It is indeed working for the exit.

BUT, the problem has just migrated: traveling south on Broadway and continuing straight at that same junction, now gives a "stay right" instead of nothing, and if you want to turn right, it doesn't give any command at all. This is all due to road types.

http://www.waze.com/livemap/?zoom=15&lo ... g=41058174

http://www.waze.com/livemap/?zoom=15&lo ... g=41009821
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 23478
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: US Country Manager - Oregon, USA
Has thanked: 1084 times
Been thanked: 4596 times

Re: Argh! Straight-ahead gives "stay left": how to fix?

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:29 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:...traveling south on Broadway and continuing straight at that same junction, now gives a "stay right" instead of nothing, and if you want to turn right, it doesn't give any command at all.

Looking at this in aerial and SV, perhaps this is actually a good thing. The main driving actually does "turn" to the left, but it's a curve and may not be considered a "turn."
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 23478
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: US Country Manager - Oregon, USA
Has thanked: 1084 times
Been thanked: 4596 times

Re: Argh! Straight-ahead gives "stay left": how to fix?

Postby CBenson » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:44 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:...traveling south on Broadway and continuing straight at that same junction, now gives a "stay right" instead of nothing, and if you want to turn right, it doesn't give any command at all.

Looking at this in aerial and SV, perhaps this is actually a good thing. The main driving actually does "turn" to the left, but it's a curve and may not be considered a "turn."

So it looks good now? I'm not sure what you mean by "if you want to turn right, it doesn't give any command at all."
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.3.0.2
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 10229
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:13 pm
Location: Crownsville, MD, US
Has thanked: 1041 times
Been thanked: 2310 times

Re: Argh! Straight-ahead gives "stay left": how to fix?

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:00 pm

CBenson wrote:So it looks good now? I'm not sure what you mean by "if you want to turn right, it doesn't give any command at all."

I think it will be ok as-is.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 23478
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: US Country Manager - Oregon, USA
Has thanked: 1084 times
Been thanked: 4596 times

Re: Argh! Straight-ahead gives "stay left": how to fix?

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:43 am

I'm replying on this thread because I'm faced with a similar situation again. From the highlighted segment headed south from Burnside to US-26, Waze will currently give a "stay right" instruction, just because the name and road type changes, and the angle of the intersecting roadways east-west are not at 90 degrees.

I've already implemented a kludgy fix to get the roads to all cross at nearly 90 degrees. This is all very obnoxious.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 23478
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: US Country Manager - Oregon, USA
Has thanked: 1084 times
Been thanked: 4596 times

Re: Argh! Straight-ahead gives "stay left": how to fix?

Postby sketch » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:39 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I'm replying on this thread because I'm faced with a similar situation again. From the highlighted segment headed south from Burnside to US-26, Waze will currently give a "stay right" instruction, just because the name and road type changes, and the angle of the intersecting roadways east-west are not at 90 degrees.

I've already implemented a kludgy fix to get the roads to all cross at nearly 90 degrees. This is all very obnoxious.

I've implemented similar kludges to that a number of places in Michigan. My girlfriend's family seems to like living near roads that run diagonally through the otherwise completely logical metropolitan Detroit street grid. That leads to more than a couple weird "keep lefts" and "exit rights".

None as bad as this—I haven't had a messed up "stay straight" before—but in cases where "turn left" and "turn right" are the only really appropriate directions.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 5693
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:13 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA
Has thanked: 1246 times
Been thanked: 1708 times

Previous

Return to United States

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users