Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Whatcha think: mess of campus buildings

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:701618

Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AndyPoms
(Near Final) Landmark Guidelines clearly state: 5.6 University / College / Academy - Mapped at the fence line, including associated parking lot(s) (if attached) in one landmark. Do not use landmarks to map individual buildings (even if they could qualify as another landmark type), parking lots, or other campus features. This is due to the way landmarks are displayed in the client.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
Landmarks are NOT POIs. The campus is a landmark, the buildings are POIs. Waze has said they are working on an internal POI system, until then POIs are handled by third-party search.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
MGODLEW wrote:My only question is, could someone walking around on campus with Waze open to walk to one of these mapped buildings trigger missing road reports?
Yes, and contributing false speed data to the road they are walking next to...
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
daknife wrote:I'm with Andy on this, the guidelines are a single landmark for the University.
:shock: We agree on something?!?!?
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by bgodette
foxitrot wrote:OTOH you can also be providing a lot of landmarks for things you have to drive to. Campuses are not necessarily identical, some have large common parking lots and you finally have to walk to the target building through the mentioned parks, others have own small (underground / roof) parking directly at the target.
However handy that currently is, it's basically a "hack" due to Waze's lack of POI handling. I currently have such landmarks for DIA's arrivals and departure points for the east and west sides of the airport so that people get routed correctly (east side only, OMG cluster %$#% for west side due to light rail construction), but I'd much rather have real POI support.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Daknife
sketch wrote:I just don't think it's a terrible idea.
I do, a mass of smaller landmarks tends to glob together unevenly, the names float around leading to further confusion as to which label goes to which blob. (particularly when they are longer names as often found with University Buildings). Additionally the client randomizes which names it actually shows so often the building you may be looking for isn't even displayed making it near useful as a visual reference.
The one exception to the Single Landmark I've allowed at universities in Utah is with major Stadiums on the edge of the schools, those get a separate landmark over the stadium and adjacent parking log, but the rest is all under one single landmark for the University. When the smaller names are put under the larger landmark those floating names seem even more random as the lesser landmarks don't show.

I'm with Andy on this, the guidelines are a single landmark for the University.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by foxitrot
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:PhysicsDave havin' some fun: https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... =-84.46323
:shock: Why am I able to see just one ancient single segment far and wide: https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=4&lat ... s=57645047 - Got the area cleaned up by someone?
[edit] OK, got it - World vs. US & Canada only. I didn't know that the INTL server contained ANY segments at the US territory?
sketch wrote:... I just don't think it's a terrible idea.
While testing various landmark combinations and configurations, I've mapped a few such areas with a thin named landmark snake "along the fence line", additionally the buildings with reasonably short names (where part of the name could be contained in the "main" landmark). Looked usably IMHO - each important building was visible with its name and the whole area was also visible including its floating name.
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
...with the good old crashing :roll: Symbian 2.1.99.114 (on N-E52), while
trying to get used to the good new asocial Android 4.xx.0.yyy (on OP-X March-me-Low).

Post by foxitrot
Riamus wrote:If you're providing a lot of landmarks for things you have to walk to, then you're promoting using it while walking and that just doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
OTOH you can also be providing a lot of landmarks for things you have to drive to. Campuses are not necessarily identical, some have large common parking lots and you finally have to walk to the target building through the mentioned parks, others have own small (underground / roof) parking directly at the target.
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
trying to get used to the good new asocial Android 4.xx.0.yyy (on OP-X March-me-Low).

Post by foxitrot
Sure. The whole Waze has always been about utilizing what's available and hacking around what's broken (despite the promises and plans) in order to fulfill the need for an useful and functional navigation. A half-transparent POI with proper navigation point (or at least a bottom-most landmark (why do they still not allow to specify their vertical ordering?)) would be preferred.
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message