This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Wrong location of private school in Memphis, TN

Post by bart99gt
While editing today, I came across this UR:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=3&lat ... TTTTTTTTTT

The actual location of the school is a few hundred feet north of where the UR was submitted.

Opening a dialogue with the person who reported it, they said it was coming up with a location about 8 miles south. If you search simply for "Harding Academy", Waze points to this location:

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=4&lat ... TTTTTTTTTT

Which is right down the street from Graceland if anyone needs a point of reference.

I did the same "Harding Academy" search in Bing and Google and both came up with the proper locations. Best I can tell, there was never a Harding Academy at the location in the second permalink, so it isn't old data.

Any comments on how to resolve this? I was going to create a landmark at the correct location, but I'm not sure if that will completely fix the problem if Waze has bad data in its database.
bart99gt

POSTER_ID:15164168

Send a message
Last edited by bart99gt on Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by bart99gt
In the app on my phone, if I select Waze results, it shows the erroneous location. Other search engines all return the correct result.
bart99gt
Send a message
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by bart99gt
No, double checked it, the Waze results is the only one that returns the location on Holmes Rd and Elvis Presley Blvd.
bart99gt
Send a message
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by bart99gt
There lies the problem. I searched for it likely in the same fashion that the user did, and got the same result as the user.

What really seems to be the issue is that Waze is dropping the "permanently closed" label, and is saying that is the only location. If someone doesn't bother to check the other search results, particularly someone not familiar with the area, may assume it to be the correct address and end up on the wrong side of town.

I put in a request to Google to remove the reference to that location (I don't know why they keep long closed locations in their maps anyway) so hopefully that will correct the issue. But it seems that Waze has some issues with its search function as well.
bart99gt
Send a message
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by CBenson
If I search for "Harding Academy, Memphis, TN" on the live map, I get a pin here.
If I search for "Harding Academy, Memphis, TN" in Google Maps, I get a pin in the same location.
Seems that the location is coming from Google to me.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by doctorkb
If you search for it in the app, can you tell where the info is coming from (e.g. Yelp, Foursquare, Yellow Pages)?
doctorkb
Answers: 4
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
*all* other search engines show the correct location, and not a single one points to the erroneous one in any of its results?
doctorkb
Answers: 4
Send a message

Post by HandofMadness
Google often has more than one result on lookups (even for addresses), but often only passes one of those to Waze when doing the search. From my experience, its always the one in the wrong location.

Recently tried to correct an address, which came up with 8 listings on Google Maps/Map Maker, all with the address spelled exactly the same (pins were in 3 locations).

I've also had issues where the first time I hit search, it would show me one pin. However if I hit search again (Without changing any text or moving the map), it would show my a pin in a different location (and the original pin would no longer show up).
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message