This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Cameras

Post by CBenson
The subject of different types of cameras came up briefly in this thread, but I wanted to summarize what actions we should be taking.
Washington DC now has seven different purposes for traffic enforcement cameras. We have the traditional red light camera, the traditional speed camera and speed cameras at intersections.
We also have:
gridlock cameras which ticket you if you can not clear an intersection by the time the light is green for the opposing traffic;
stop sign cameras which ticket you if don't come to a complete stop at a stop sign;
pedestrian right of way cameras which ticket you if fail to stop for a pedestrian in a crosswalk; and
oversized vehicle cameras which will ticket trucks on restricted routes.

Is there agreement that gridlock, stop sign and pedestrian right of way cameras should be entered the same as red light cameras? Is there agreement that oversized vehicle cameras should not be mapped?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:1005502

Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by AndyPoms
Makes sense to me. As for the truck cameras - with vehicle types in the works, they should not be an issue - and any trucker not in navigation mode can usually read the signs about "No Trucks" pretty well.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by Jpere
For what it's worth, I agree.

Holy hell, that's a lot of revenue being generated for the city and the camera companies at the expense of all drivers.
Jpere
Send a message

Post by mdswbkq
TommykSpeedy, the cameras meeting that description can be a variety of camera types. I've gotten a warning ticket from one that was configured as a stop sign camera. There was no flash. Perhaps this model has digital camera technology that permits pictures to be taken by mere daylight. I have seen many others configured as speed cameras.
mdswbkq
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message
AM: Central Maryland

Post by sketch
I will concur.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by tommykSpeedy
As I said in a previous thread, the most common type you see are actually tracking cameras. They're the ones that are silver, have a broad base, and a squarish head. No flash, and generally are portable, although they are kept in multiple places.

I wish people wouldn't call them speed cameras, because it diminishes the value of that designation.
tommykSpeedy
Send a message