Popup with Wrong City Name

[ img ] This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Re: Popup with Wrong City Name

Postby CBenson » Mon May 12, 2014 6:28 pm

Ack. Staff has told me they removed "P" from this area. Sorry to hear its still there. I take that is a screen shot from May 9, 2014?
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby DwarfLord » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:04 pm

jemay wrote:Yes the "S" city in landmarks are all over southern California!!! (So is Mexico or no country...)

I haven't noticed the "S" city yet but sure have noticed segments and parks located in Mexico. Just one example, a large park outside my editing area:

https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-120.9 ... 54&env=usa

I think the abundance of elements marked as Mexican must be what throws me into the Mexican editor chat when I am looking at certain parts of California.

Sure would be nice if Waze HQ could detect and fix these. Or maybe a script...?

Edit: these *can* be fixed with normal WME commands, but who wants to click around searching for them?
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby DwarfLord » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:44 am

kodi75 wrote:
DwarfLord wrote:Edit: these *can* be fixed with normal WME commands, but who wants to click around searching for them?

A careful editor can use the WME Toolbox to find and edit specific properties of a group of segments.

I checked WME Toolbox again but I cannot see where it allows you easily to detect and fix segments and landmarks that have an undesired country field. I fear I must not be a careful editor :? Perhaps it is obvious and I'm dense, but I'd be grateful if you could describe how it is done!
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby DwarfLord » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:45 am

kodi75 wrote:
DwarfLord wrote:Edit: these *can* be fixed with normal WME commands, but who wants to click around searching for them?

A careful editor can use the WME Toolbox to find and edit specific properties of a group of segments.

OK I see where it allows you to list the country field for segments, but not where it does so for landmarks.

In any event, I returned to the landmark I linked to earlier in this thread, and its country field is now US, even though no modifications are listed since initial creation 11/29/2009 by admin. It appears something is happening on this issue...
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby DwarfLord » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:22 am

jemay wrote:I use WME Colour Highlights

Thanks for the tip! I've been using it too, but not yet in the way you describe. It is really helpful for seeing what's changed recently in a given area (available to Rank 3+). Your approach sounds like a great way to solve the dreaded Portola Valley problem.

The original issue I struggled with had to do with US landmarks as well as segments with country incorrectly set to Mexico. There doesn't appear to be a way to find such landmarks en masse, although WME Toolbox will do it for segments (thanks kodi75!).

It may be totally moot, as the "Mexican" landmarks I spot checked earlier appear to have been naturalized without changes to their modification record. Magic from Waze HQ? Well, however it happened, I'm grateful!
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Popup with Wrong City Name

Postby jemay » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:10 pm

I have a wazer that noticed that the city name is incorrect on the pop-up information. I have done a lot of searching for the incorrect name in the editor, but so far have not found it.

So where is this name coming from and how do we get that fixed?

Incorrect city name = Lorba Linda
Correct city name = Yorba Linda
The following links are to screenshots that were forward to me.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3nglmqvcm2jijsw/photo%201.PNG
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fpput8jwsnc7sem/photo%202.PNG
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zhf3acwoiaviw ... 281%29.PNG
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oynplgrov2iv1bx/photo%203.PNG
:arrow: PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Best Practices|Editing issues?
Global Champ | Assistant Regional Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI | CM for US

Samsung Galaxy S8+ - Android 8.0 - Verizon
jemay
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby jemay » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:44 pm

Yes the "S" city in landmarks are all over southern California!!! (So is Mexico or no country...)
kodi75 wrote:Similar to the "ghost cities" that I had in my area for the last year.
There has been talk of a script to be run every so often that deletes cities that do not have any associated elements. Is that still the case?
Timbones wrote:HQ have just run a script to remove all "dead" cities (i.e. with 0 segments).
And then there is this updated Wiki page: Fixing Smudged Cities. However, as in my case, these are not city smudges that appear as labeling in the client (and/or the editor), but lingering city names that exist somewhere in a database that attach themselves to traffic reports.

I knew somebody else had the same issue but I was using incorrect search terms.... Popup / Pop Up / Pop-up Wrong City Name. I guess I could have found yours via Ghost Cities.

So currently, it does not look like any data that we can edit directly?
Global Champ | Assistant Regional Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI | CM for US

jemay
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby jemay » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:59 am

I use WME Colour Highlights script and it will highlight (dash) for alternate names for city and it will also highlight landmarks...

Filter by City (Yellow) invert

Then use the toolbox to help select them...

jemay
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby kodi75 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:35 am

Similar to the "ghost cities" that I had in my area for the last year.

I selected the segments in the area of at least one of your reports on (Kimball Ave near Euclid, in Chino CA) thinking that perhaps an alternate street name with the wrong name. In the process, I found several landmarks with the city name "S". The three I saw in this area were by the same editor. (2nd & 3rd Landmark) Waze even has a nearby city marker for S, Calif

There has been talk of a script to be run every so often that deletes cities that do not have any associated elements. Is that still the case?
Timbones wrote:HQ have just run a script to remove all "dead" cities (i.e. with 0 segments).
And then there is this updated Wiki page: Fixing Smudged Cities. However, as in my case, these are not city smudges that appear as labeling in the client (and/or the editor), but lingering city names that exist somewhere in a database that attach themselves to traffic reports.
kodi75
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby kodi75 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:26 am

jemay wrote:So currently, it does not look like any data that we can edit directly?

CBenson and Orbitc are looking into it. The Ghost Cities seem to be a database issue. It's notice to editors what to show happens when we don't QA/QC before saving edits.
kodi75
Country Manager
Country Manager

Next

Return to United States