This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

User Requests (URs) Canned Responses

Post by MGODLEW
The contents of this thread, especially the top post, are not standards reached by consensus, except for the state of Pennsylvania. Other areas have different approaches. Please check your state forum and Wiki page.

Hello PA Editors,
After discussing it with Orbitc, we thought it would be a good idea to establish some uniformity when responding to URs to help improve communication between editors and reporters. Listed below are some canned responses which can be copied and pasted into a UR and then sent the reporter. SEE: Stored UR responses for Browser Plugins that can be used to help with easier and quicker access to these canned responses.

Blank or Empty Reports
Hello, Thank you for your report. However, we are unable to determine a problem with your routing. Please provide additional details about the problem you experienced and your approximate departure & destination address so we can resolve your issue. If no response is received, this report will be closed after 7 days.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Missing Road
Hello, Thank you for your report. However, we are unable to determine any missing roads in the area of your report. Please provide additional details pertaining to the missing road & the missing roads official name if available. If no response is received, this report will be closed after 7 days.

Destination or address at the wrong location
Hello, Thank you for your report. If Waze is routing you to the wrong location for your destination, it likely is due to Waze getting the wrong GPS coordinates for the destination. In most parts of the world, Waze relies exclusively on 3rd party content providers for address and POI locations. Waze sends your address or POI search to these 3rd parties, and they then return to Waze GPS coordinates for that destination. Waze then routes to the closest location on the Waze map for the GPS coordinates. For example, if Waze routes to the street behind the location, that is because the GPS coordinates for that location are closer to that street behind the location than the street you actually access the location from. To solve the errors in external providers' data, you need to update the GPS coordinates with the 3rd party provider who is supplying the bad information to Waze. In the US & Canada, address lookups are handled by (http://maps.google.com) To confirm, look up the address on Google and verify the pin for the location corresponds to the location being used by Waze. If the pin is wrong, you can update its location. Instructions on how to do so can be found at (http://goo.gl/hsfY9a)

Waze Routed Longer &/or Out of the way
Hello, Thank you for your report. Based upon your report, Waze instructed you to take a route that is longer or out of the way. Waze should always pick what it believes is, mathematically, the fastest or shortest route, depending on your settings. If, in your estimation, it doesn't, that means that there could be an error in the map somewhere along your preferred route, or there is a lack of correct speed/traffic data for that route, or lack or correct speed/traffic data on the route it is trying to send you on. If it isn't too far out of your way, take the suggested route a few times and Waze will collect and start to use that data in its routing decisions. The reason just driving the expected or preferred route won't work automatically is because Waze could have incorrect speed data on the segments it wants you to take. If Waze thinks another road is 2x as fast as your preferred road, no amount of driving on your preferred road can change the data for the other road. Waze needs accurate data for all neighboring segments and routes in order to always compute the fastest (or shortest, depending on your app setting) route. If you would like to provide your approximate departure & destination address & we will further look into the issue.

GPS Signal Issue
Hello, Thank you for your report. For GPS signal related issues first verify that other similar apps or GPS utility apps do or do not show similar symptoms. If the problem is only occurring in Waze, try rebooting the device. If that does not resolve the problem, try uninstalling Waze, then re-download it & install Waze again. Other things to consider: Where is your phone when this happens? A windshield mount? On your lap? In a tunnel? Tucked into the console somewhere? To operate properly, the device running Waze needs to have an unobstructed view of the sky. If you are reporting an issue with actual Waze map, please provide additional details pertaining the problem you experienced.

Routing servers or displays no network connection available
Hello, Thank you for your report. Waze sometimes fails to connect to routing servers or displays no network connection available when returning longer routes where the straight line distance is significantly shorter than the actual route over the roads. The common cause of this is having avoid toll roads turned on. You should verify that you have "avoid toll roads" turned off, having this feature turned on can cause Waze to not use known routes which in some areas, maybe the only known route by Waze routing servers and then causes the routing servers issue. For No Network Connection issue, Verify you have good cellular/network coverage on your mobile device. You will need an active cellular or wifi network connection to connect to Waze servers to calculate a route. A weak signal or slow data speeds (2G speeds) can often cause these types of errors. If the issue is occurring with good cellular/network coverage, try rebooting the device, if that does not resolve the issue try uninstalling Waze, re-download it & install Waze again. If you are reporting an issue with actual Waze map, please provide additional details pertaining the problem you experienced.
General Error:
Hi, I am a volunteer editor for Waze. Can I ask what went wrong here?

Incorrect turn direction:
Hi, I am a volunteer editor for Waze. Can I ask which turn was wrong and why?
(credit to: PhantomSoul)
MGODLEW
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:4659062

Send a message
I am best reached via Discord, give me an “@“

Post by jdeyoung
In our area, we several editors working URs. My perspective is that the sooner we can engage the reporter the better, and a simple "Can you provide more details on ..." request gets that job done.
A reporter that is motivated to see the situation corrected will respond - especially if the request is received while the report is fresher in the reporter's memory. If they think issuing the UR causes magic to happen and it is someone else's problem now and they don't respond in a reasonable time frame, a second notification is just so much more noise to them.
Given this perspective, the reporter sees my username, and while it might be considered more friendly if I introduce myself, when another editor sees a response and is able to work the issue - must THEY introduce themselves as well? It's not about me responding, it is about the volunteer editing community working on the problem towards a resolution.
In the case of marking an issue NI, if I was the original responder and no response from the reporter, I would have no issue simply closing the issue - except that for reasons posted earlier, I think a response in addition to the waze generated "problem was resolved... " puts a more friendly spin on this. I certainly think that putting a nice response like this on issues that have been open for 7 days since last contact where I was not the responder is also a courtesy to the previous responder(s). Nothing drives me crazier than a "problem resolved" waze generated message without a reason given - either for a "solved" or "not identified" issue - when I was an interactor on the report.
jdeyoung
Answers: 2
Send a message

Post by jondrush
I challenge you to boil the long ones down to three brief sentences or less. If you want to get decent responses, there is way too much text, the users eyes will glaze over. Put a wiki link at the end if you feel there needs to be more info for the user.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by MGODLEW
orbitc wrote:I'll compile all and put it as a sticky on top for us to refer them.
I'll update my initial post to reflect the appropriate responses we have deemed most suitable so editors won't have to scroll through the entire post. :)
MGODLEW
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by MGODLEW
[youtube][/youtube]
MGODLEW
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Last edited by MGODLEW on Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by MGODLEW
daknife wrote:I'd suggest moving this to the US forum rather than stickying in every state forum as every editor can use those responses. I like them.
Can an Admin move this to US Forum please?
MGODLEW
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by MGODLEW
orbitc wrote:Let's clean some of these up a bit before we do that. Let's shorten some of these as Jondrush suggested.
Working on that now..
MGODLEW
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by MGODLEW
Okay, I think I "trimmed the fat" from my suggested responses earlier... Thoughts?

Blank or Empty Reports
Hello, Thank you for your report. However, we are unable to determine a problem with your routing. Please provide additional details about the problem you experienced and your approximate departure & destination address so we can resolve your issue.

Missing Road
Hello, Thank you for your report. However, we are unable to determine any missing roads in the area of your report. Please provide additional details pertaining to the missing road & the missing roads official name if available.

Destination or address at the wrong location
Hello, Thank you for your report. If Waze is routing you to the wrong location for your destination, it likely is due to Waze getting the wrong GPS coordinates for the destination. To solve the errors in external providers' data, you need move the map marker in Google maps closer to your destination. Instructions on how to do this can be found at (http://goo.gl/3jNdGV)

Waze Routed Longer &/or Out of the way
Hello, Thank you for your report. Based upon your report, Waze instructed you to take a route that is longer or out of the way. Waze should always pick what it believes is, mathematically, the fastest or shortest route, depending on your settings. If you would like to provide your approximate departure & destination address & we will further look into the issue. For additional details & solutions visit (http://goo.gl/cxZFQV)

GPS Signal Issue
Hello, Thank you for your report. For GPS signal related issues first verify that other similar apps or GPS utility apps do or do not show similar symptoms. If the problem is only occurring in Waze, try rebooting the device. If that does not resolve the problem, try uninstalling Waze, then re-download it & install Waze again. For additional details & solutions visit (http://goo.gl/sAOXVV)

Routing servers or displays no network connection available
Hello, Thank you for your report. Waze sometimes fails to connect to routing servers or displays no network connection available when returning longer routes where the straight line distance is significantly shorter than the actual route over the roads. The common cause of this is having avoid toll roads turned on. For additional details & solutions visit (http://goo.gl/dmmTu0)
MGODLEW
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Last edited by MGODLEW on Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by MGODLEW
Request post be moved to: viewforum.php?f=129
MGODLEW
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by MGODLEW
dbraughlr wrote:Being given a deadline makes it sound like the reporter is under pressure to respond.
Well.. There kind of should be some pressure to get them to respond. Most people don't remember everywhere they have driven yesterday let alone after a week. So trying to get details from them might be hard. If they reply to your request for more information, then the clock for 7 days starts over again. And the cycle continues til the issue is resolved or the user no longer replies.
MGODLEW
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message