This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by txemt
dbraughlr wrote: What is the purpose of telling the reporter that the report is incomplete?
Besides, sometimes Waze loses the reporter's comment, notably with the category of "Missing ...". That's not the fault of the reporter.
It prompts the driver to actually tell us what's wrong. I can't fix a general error with just a GPS trace that matches the Waze provided route. Most drivers just report things by pressing the buttons. I'm not sure if they're aware there is the chat feature, but I also figure they're too busy driving to text us information on what's wrong. I wish there was some way the report could stay open until they can get somewhere they can type.
txemt
Send a message
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.

Post by txemt
Because most drivers assume when they submit a report we get everything about their drive, which is why I tell them it's incomplete and we need more info.
txemt
Send a message

Post by txemt
Thortok2000 wrote:Okay I stayed up and read the thread. Some opinions:

1 - I'm pretty sure the app provides the location of the report for you, so putting it in your response is repeating information. Granted I don't think it does a very good job, so perhaps this information is best repeated until Waze improves it.
Not 100% all the time
Thortok2000 wrote:2 - Saying you're missing information is kind of pointless. Instead, ask for what you need. Then, the fact that you're missing it is implied (and again mentioned by the app as a wrapper for your comment). If it's a blank UR, then a simple 'what is this UR about' question is fine. Something along the lines of "What seems to be the problem?" or something.
Why? A blank UR is missing information. We're not mind readers.
Thortok2000 wrote: 3 - If your response is TOO short, throwing in a polite introduction is fine. "Hi! Volunteer map editor here. I saw your report about X, what seems to be the problem?" This would be a little better than a flat-out "What seems to be the problem?" opener.
Eh
Thortok2000 wrote:4 - I've tried the whole "will close in X days" (and that's assuming you're going to be Wazing that exact day to close it). I've even tried the '2nd warning' as well. Too much work. If they don't reply in 7 days, just close it. (I do send a 'reason this is being closed' message right before closing it, though, so they know for next time.)
Why do we give warnings for 7 days? I know an editor that does that and it drives me up the wall. I typically close it out in 7 days from the report if no response is given from the first time someone asks about the issue
Thortok2000 wrote:5 - I don't care how old the report is, I mark the 7 days from the first non-reporter comment after the last reporter comment. As soon as it hits day 8, it's eligible to be closed, imo, unless there is specific phrasing of a request of "please do not close this UR."
See above
Thortok2000 wrote:6 - I do think wordy is bad. The only reason I have that 'monster' response is because I close the ticket right after. They can read it at their leisure. It's not meant to be read and then replied to. I might add a first line of "Thanks for your report, but I'll be closing this as not identified. Please read on to understand why."
I close out URs that are older than 7 days with a
Closed due to inactivity
comment to let the original poster, as well as the editor know that this report has been closed. Tough if no one responded, or if the driver didn't respond in quick enough time.

There are too many URs left open throughout the country to be sitting there begging for a driver to respond.
txemt
Send a message

Post by txemt
DwarfLord wrote:Submitting your own URs occasionally can be quite an eye-opener. Highly recommended.
I do that. I leave notes for me all over the place when I drive. I used to submit URs in San Antonio to see who else is editing the map. I've left a trail of URs from Austin to Dallas when I rode up there yesterday, so now I get to go back and fix the construction zone. Yippe!!!
txemt
Send a message

Post by txemt
sketch wrote:"Reported by sketch. DO NOT CLOSE this UR! Contact sketch via forum PM if you have any questions."
It takes him 5 months to close out his own URs. :lol:
txemt
Send a message

Post by txemt
I've seen editors ask for more clarification within a couple of days, which is fine. After about a week, they'll say something to the lines of "still looking for a response, if no response, this will close in 7 days." Why? Why are we waiting for TWO WEEKS to close out a UR if they haven't responded?
txemt
Send a message

Post by txemt
My response: 7 days and it's NI.
txemt
Send a message

Post by txemt
I drop a "closed due to inactivity" to let the editor who responded know why it was closed.
txemt
Send a message

Post by txemt
I haven't seen evidence of a user responding after a second request.
txemt
Send a message

Post by txemt
I'm not happy with google ATM. They've ignored my request to have MIA fixed.
txemt
Send a message