Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

User Requests (URs) Canned Responses

Post by
The contents of this thread, especially the top post, are not standards reached by consensus, except for the state of Pennsylvania. Other areas have different approaches. Please check your state forum and Wiki page.

Hello PA Editors,
After discussing it with Orbitc, we thought it would be a good idea to establish some uniformity when responding to URs to help improve communication between editors and reporters. Listed below are some canned responses which can be copied and pasted into a UR and then sent the reporter. SEE: Stored UR responses for Browser Plugins that can be used to help with easier and quicker access to these canned responses.

Blank or Empty Reports
Hello, Thank you for your report. However, we are unable to determine a problem with your routing. Please provide additional details about the problem you experienced and your approximate departure & destination address so we can resolve your issue. If no response is received, this report will be closed after 7 days.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Missing Road
Hello, Thank you for your report. However, we are unable to determine any missing roads in the area of your report. Please provide additional details pertaining to the missing road & the missing roads official name if available. If no response is received, this report will be closed after 7 days.

Destination or address at the wrong location
Hello, Thank you for your report. If Waze is routing you to the wrong location for your destination, it likely is due to Waze getting the wrong GPS coordinates for the destination. In most parts of the world, Waze relies exclusively on 3rd party content providers for address and POI locations. Waze sends your address or POI search to these 3rd parties, and they then return to Waze GPS coordinates for that destination. Waze then routes to the closest location on the Waze map for the GPS coordinates. For example, if Waze routes to the street behind the location, that is because the GPS coordinates for that location are closer to that street behind the location than the street you actually access the location from. To solve the errors in external providers' data, you need to update the GPS coordinates with the 3rd party provider who is supplying the bad information to Waze. In the US & Canada, address lookups are handled by (http://maps.google.com) To confirm, look up the address on Google and verify the pin for the location corresponds to the location being used by Waze. If the pin is wrong, you can update its location. Instructions on how to do so can be found at (http://goo.gl/hsfY9a)

Waze Routed Longer &/or Out of the way
Hello, Thank you for your report. Based upon your report, Waze instructed you to take a route that is longer or out of the way. Waze should always pick what it believes is, mathematically, the fastest or shortest route, depending on your settings. If, in your estimation, it doesn't, that means that there could be an error in the map somewhere along your preferred route, or there is a lack of correct speed/traffic data for that route, or lack or correct speed/traffic data on the route it is trying to send you on. If it isn't too far out of your way, take the suggested route a few times and Waze will collect and start to use that data in its routing decisions. The reason just driving the expected or preferred route won't work automatically is because Waze could have incorrect speed data on the segments it wants you to take. If Waze thinks another road is 2x as fast as your preferred road, no amount of driving on your preferred road can change the data for the other road. Waze needs accurate data for all neighboring segments and routes in order to always compute the fastest (or shortest, depending on your app setting) route. If you would like to provide your approximate departure & destination address & we will further look into the issue.

GPS Signal Issue
Hello, Thank you for your report. For GPS signal related issues first verify that other similar apps or GPS utility apps do or do not show similar symptoms. If the problem is only occurring in Waze, try rebooting the device. If that does not resolve the problem, try uninstalling Waze, then re-download it & install Waze again. Other things to consider: Where is your phone when this happens? A windshield mount? On your lap? In a tunnel? Tucked into the console somewhere? To operate properly, the device running Waze needs to have an unobstructed view of the sky. If you are reporting an issue with actual Waze map, please provide additional details pertaining the problem you experienced.

Routing servers or displays no network connection available
Hello, Thank you for your report. Waze sometimes fails to connect to routing servers or displays no network connection available when returning longer routes where the straight line distance is significantly shorter than the actual route over the roads. The common cause of this is having avoid toll roads turned on. You should verify that you have "avoid toll roads" turned off, having this feature turned on can cause Waze to not use known routes which in some areas, maybe the only known route by Waze routing servers and then causes the routing servers issue. For No Network Connection issue, Verify you have good cellular/network coverage on your mobile device. You will need an active cellular or wifi network connection to connect to Waze servers to calculate a route. A weak signal or slow data speeds (2G speeds) can often cause these types of errors. If the issue is occurring with good cellular/network coverage, try rebooting the device, if that does not resolve the issue try uninstalling Waze, re-download it & install Waze again. If you are reporting an issue with actual Waze map, please provide additional details pertaining the problem you experienced.
General Error:
Hi, I am a volunteer editor for Waze. Can I ask what went wrong here?

Incorrect turn direction:
Hi, I am a volunteer editor for Waze. Can I ask which turn was wrong and why?
(credit to: PhantomSoul)

POSTER_ID:4659062

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
txemt wrote:Because most drivers assume when they submit a report we get everything about their drive, which is why I tell them it's incomplete and we need more info.
Yep, totally this. I've had numerous reporters tell me either in the UR or in email that they thought we had their whole drive along with destination details. Is that a reasonable assumption on their part? Perhaps so. It's no more invalid than assuming that no data is shared or that some data is shared. Waze doesn't allow users to know via helpful in-app notices the first time they post a map issue.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by banished
I might get the "least verbose canned response" award with, "What was the problem here, please?"

Best response I ever got was, "No problem, I just wanted the points."

Closed it as "Solved," since she got her points.
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
GC, ARC, Veteran, CISSP, MCP

Post by CBenson
I too am not sure what is the advantage of stating that "if no response is received, this report will be closed after 7 days." What you are really stating is that the report will not be closed for at least seven days. If I'm responding to a UR that has been sitting there for several months, I'm not responding by stating there is some rush to close the report.

What I am doing is including an email address with the initial response (a habit developed back when the conversation feature was less reliable). Then before I close the report, I add message that I'm closing the report. That way the reporter can still contact me if the reporter wishes to.

I also won't be using the "Destination or address at the wrong location" response. If the waze appears to be getting the wrong coordinates from a third party, then I attempt to correct the coordinates with the third party.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
I also find the this statement to be quite odd:
Routing servers or displays no network connection available
Hello, Thank you for your report. Waze sometimes fails to connect to routing servers or displays no network connection available when returning longer routes where the straight line distance is significantly shorter than the actual route over the roads. The common cause of this is having avoid toll roads turned on.
I see the FAQ has been edited to say essentially the same thing, but the information seems misleading to me. Waze will give me an error that it has failed to connect to the routing servers when I am not asking for a long route and when I do not have avoid toll roads on. On the flip side, when I do ask for a longer route where the straight line distance is significantly shorter than the actual route over the roads, waze does not typically give me a failed to connect to the server message, but rather waze gives me the message "Uh-oh!, Could not find a route."
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
SuperDave1426 wrote:I disagree with your assessment, based on actual experience. I've gotten plenty of useful replies from people responding to that.
My experience is similar when using similar (although not identical) wording.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by crazycaveman
qwaletee wrote:So, do we document four approaches that have not been standardized? (OSHI with limit up front, EDGE with no limit up front, EDGE with limit up front, OSHI with no limit up front.)

Or do we standardize on one first and then document it?
Why not have both? Try to get a response using the EDGE method and, if there is no response in a week, give them the heavy info, so they're a little more informed in what to include in their future reports. This gives the reporters a chance to engage without feeling overwhelmed at the outset and gives us editors a chance to provide feedback on what info we're looking for, even if the user doesn't respond to our initial inquiry.
crazycaveman
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message

Post by Daknife
I'd suggest moving this to the US forum rather than stickying in every state forum as every editor can use those responses. I like them.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by Daknife
PhantomSoul wrote:General Error:
Hi, I am a volunteer editor for Waze. Can I ask what went wrong here?

Incorrect turn direction:
Hi, I am a volunteer editor for Waze. Can I ask which turn was wrong and why?
So you are saying my "Hi, I am a volunteer editor for Waze. What the Hell do you want me to do about this?" standard initial response is flawed in it's approach? :lol:

How about something more along the lines of" "Hi, I am a volunteer editor for Waze. I do apologize that you seem to have had some difficulty with the navigation functions. However; the GPS gods are never wrong so I am unable to address your concern. Perhaps if you sacrifice an iPhone 5S to the toilet at midnight of the next new moon you will get convince the GPS gods to give you better results."
Will that work better? ;)
Daknife
Send a message
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by Daknife
Ditto to Superdave, Txemt and Alan. The fact that at best we get a few hundred meters of their route, but often don't even get that much data, means we are often missing key information that would clue us into the real problem.

For example on the Jolly Drivers thread, there was a recent question about a UR (actually a series of UR's probably by the same driver, Where Waze was repeatedly telling the driver to take the next Michigan left and head back the way they came. Based on just one or two of the UR's it looked like Waze was trying to train the user to drive NASCAR by having him drive endless loops. Only by zooming out did I hypothesize that maybe Waze wanted to take him to the near by freeway. But based on the tiny amount of data that Waze gives us, that is merely a guess as to why Waze kept insisting the user turn around.

When a UR gets a comment, we users get that comment back in both email and in the client. I have no problem at all with being a little verbose (well I don't have that problem anywhere). Details get problems solved. Telling a user that the report was short on details is only going to make our volunteer jobs easier. And telling the users that we are only volunteers will cut back on snarky or rude replies when we do ask for more information to solve a problem. If an area does get soooo many UR's a week, then increasing the detail will help editors identify problems that can be fixed and those that cannot but will just keep repeating. Allowing for quicker closure of the unfixable repeat reports. And better focus on the real problem areas, getting them fixed and cleared quicker as well. That and hard time frames. No reply in seven days? Close it to focus on newer reports.
Daknife
Send a message
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by Daknife
Check your data MGODLEW they get the points when they make the report, regardless of what or even when we get to their UR. As Orbitc stated two posts before yours.
Daknife
Send a message
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint