Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by CBenson
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Only one at a time.
Wow. I guess there are so few that have actually been touched by an editor around here that I hadn't noticed that before. I didn't realize so many of the "forced" numbers have not been touched by an editor.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
Google has 500 Brightseat in Hyattsville presumably because in the 20785 ZIP. So when you search for "500 Brightside, Landover, MD" there is no Google result, thus waze looks in its database and 2000 is the closest it can come for Brightside in Landover, so that is what you get.

The autocomplete results as you type 500 Brighseat give you the result of "500 Brightseat Road, Hyattsville MD United States" which takes you to the Google pin. However, if you type it out and search and select "500 Brightseat Rd, Landover, MD" you get taken to the last number waze has in Landover.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
That's a lot of house numbers.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
AlanOfTheBerg wrote: I asked Ohad for some more detail on house address lookup works in the US in the app. Here is his answer:
Ohad via email wrote:When you start entering a search string, the autocomplete results are being populated by Google - if you tap one of the results and there's a Waze house number defined and properly matched for that result - that will be the navigation target.
Something seems to have changed here for me. Now when I search for a street name without an address number, the autocomplete results correlate with the waze tab results rather than the Google tab results. Some of the waze tab results are populated from waze not Google (i.e. they are street name - city name combinations that are found only on the waze map and are not found on the Google map).

This seem to be the case regardless of whether I login with my usual account or with a clean account. (Although I don't have access to another phone to test at the moment.)
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Hmm, when I search for "Montecristo Court" waze will return the waze street name of "Montecristo Ct" I wonder what's different.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by HavanaDay
At least it is good to know the actual theory behind it but it brings up a question from me about how to label roads in the editor now.

For an example:
2314 Ivy Run Dr, Indian Trail, NC is the postal mailing address.
2314 Ivy Run Dr, Hemby Bridge, NC (Waze editor address)

Auto Complete gives the Indian Trail City about when you type the y in Ivy. It will recognize the Waze address of Hemby Bridge until you type the H in Hemby. So this agrees with what you were told.

Now if you hit the search button on 2314 Ivy Run. The first two results appear to be Google Results:

1st three results:
2314 Ivy Run Drive, Indian Trail, NC
2314 Ivy Run Drive, Denver, NC
2314 Ivy Run Dr, Hemby Bridge, NC

So while it appears to be a mix of the two. It appears to return the google results at the top.

My issue is which way should be the correct way to edit the street. Hemby Bridge is an actual town in NC it just doesn't have a postal office. So do we just let the google address fly for now as the search address return results? From what I can tell you would never get the Waze address as the top result unless you actually type Hemby Bridge in.

Is that acceptable to us? It doesn't bother me, but that is because the address will route correctly either way. Or did I just open up a totally different can of worms.
HavanaDay
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by jdeyoung
scerruti wrote:In San Marcos, CA Google uses McMahr Drive and Waze uses McMahr Road. (San Diego's GIS, SanGIS, matches Waze). Google returns different locations for the same address based on the use of Road or Drive. Both options appear in the client as suggestions.

Reported to Google. Any other fixes required in Waze?
Cases like these can only be identified by humans. It is often the case that the same base street name could be the same, but have different suffixes by design - street, court, place, etc. It is likely too that the house numbers could be same/similar especially in the city of Chicago which often has street and place suffix with the same base number - ie . 40th St and 40th Pl. - parallel to each other but clearly not the same locations.
jdeyoung
Answers: 2
Send a message

Post by ploben
I saw Ohad say:
"One caveat is that if the search algorithm failed to match the correct street name in the Waze map, it cannot know there's a Waze number for it and this will not work.
Example - I searched for 'Sunset Court', and the Waze street name for that street is 'Sunset Ct' and for some reason the algorithm failed to match that - the house numbers you've entered in Sunset Ct will not be provided as a navigation target for me."

Is there still an issue with auto complete not matching Waze on suffixes?
ploben
Send a message

Post by sketch
That looks good and, besides the "selecting a Google result and getting a matched Waze result" (just cause I had no way of knowing), is consistent with my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
I tested a few addresses I know to be in Waze to see if the instant Google-Waze matching was working. Most seem to be working, although I couldn't get 3978 West Esplanade Avenue to give me the Waze result no matter what I tried. The Waze address is 3978 W Esplanade Ave S, but even the Google instant result "3978 W Esplanade Avenue South" gave me the Google pin.

Weird thing: Searching for 1208 S Clearview Pkwy gave me results "1208 S Clearview Pkwy" (which is in Waze) and "1208 Clearview Parkway" (which is a different address, and which is not in the Waze DB). Selecting the first gave me the Waze stop point; if I selected the second, nothing happened.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!