Waze app address lookup details (from Ohad)

Image This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: Waze app address lookup details (from Ohad)

Postby CBenson » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:01 am

That's a lot of house numbers.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0, Waze 3.9.9.907
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jdeyoung » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:23 pm

scerruti wrote:In San Marcos, CA Google uses McMahr Drive and Waze uses McMahr Road. (San Diego's GIS, SanGIS, matches Waze). Google returns different locations for the same address based on the use of Road or Drive. Both options appear in the client as suggestions.

Reported to Google. Any other fixes required in Waze?

Cases like these can only be identified by humans. It is often the case that the same base street name could be the same, but have different suffixes by design - street, court, place, etc. It is likely too that the house numbers could be same/similar especially in the city of Chicago which often has street and place suffix with the same base number - ie . 40th St and 40th Pl. - parallel to each other but clearly not the same locations.
AM Chicago, NW Indiana, SW Lower MI
jdeyoung

Location: Greater Chicago Metro area, NW Indiana, SW Lower MI, USA

Postby sketch » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:45 pm

CBenson wrote:That's a lot of house numbers.

Yeah, but there's a buuuunch of really-wrong ones, at least in my area. Rather have to nudge a bunch of automatically-added numbers than add them all in myself.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:29 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote: I asked Ohad for some more detail on house address lookup works in the US in the app. Here is his answer:

Ohad via email wrote:When you start entering a search string, the autocomplete results are being populated by Google - if you tap one of the results and there's a Waze house number defined and properly matched for that result - that will be the navigation target.

Something seems to have changed here for me. Now when I search for a street name without an address number, the autocomplete results correlate with the waze tab results rather than the Google tab results. Some of the waze tab results are populated from waze not Google (i.e. they are street name - city name combinations that are found only on the waze map and are not found on the Google map).

This seem to be the case regardless of whether I login with my usual account or with a clean account. (Although I don't have access to another phone to test at the moment.)
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:42 pm

CBenson wrote:Something seems to have changed here for me. ..

I will need to test in order to agree. I know the last day or two, search has gotten wonky. There was one search phrase I entered which caused the autofill results to rotate between what looked to be 3 or 4 different sets of results constantly, without me changing or typing anything. It just kept switching and showing me different autofill lists over and over. I think there have been reports of this happening to other people too.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.2.1 | Waze v4.2b
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby ploben » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:46 pm

I saw Ohad say:
"One caveat is that if the search algorithm failed to match the correct street name in the Waze map, it cannot know there's a Waze number for it and this will not work.
Example - I searched for 'Sunset Court', and the Waze street name for that street is 'Sunset Ct' and for some reason the algorithm failed to match that - the house numbers you've entered in Sunset Ct will not be provided as a navigation target for me."

Is there still an issue with auto complete not matching Waze on suffixes?
ploben

Postby CBenson » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:58 pm

Hmm, when I search for "Montecristo Court" waze will return the waze street name of "Montecristo Ct" I wonder what's different.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Previous

Return to United States