Waze app address lookup details (from Ohad)

[ img ] This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: Waze app address lookup details (from Ohad)

Postby HavanaDay » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:50 pm

At least it is good to know the actual theory behind it but it brings up a question from me about how to label roads in the editor now.

For an example:
2314 Ivy Run Dr, Indian Trail, NC is the postal mailing address.
2314 Ivy Run Dr, Hemby Bridge, NC (Waze editor address)

Auto Complete gives the Indian Trail City about when you type the y in Ivy. It will recognize the Waze address of Hemby Bridge until you type the H in Hemby. So this agrees with what you were told.

Now if you hit the search button on 2314 Ivy Run. The first two results appear to be Google Results:

1st three results:
2314 Ivy Run Drive, Indian Trail, NC
2314 Ivy Run Drive, Denver, NC
2314 Ivy Run Dr, Hemby Bridge, NC

So while it appears to be a mix of the two. It appears to return the google results at the top.

My issue is which way should be the correct way to edit the street. Hemby Bridge is an actual town in NC it just doesn't have a postal office. So do we just let the google address fly for now as the search address return results? From what I can tell you would never get the Waze address as the top result unless you actually type Hemby Bridge in.

Is that acceptable to us? It doesn't bother me, but that is because the address will route correctly either way. Or did I just open up a totally different can of worms.
HavanaDay
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby CBenson » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:49 pm

Well why would we have the problem in the thread that pointed me over here, if we can get waze database results. No matter how I type in "1558 Havenwood Dr, Oceanside, CA" to the client search, I can't get waze to route to Havenwood rather than Crescent Heights Dr.

There is a 1558 Havenwood in the waze address number layer. What do I need to search for to get the match to make that house the navigation target?
CBenson

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:40 pm

CBenson wrote:Are you saying that waze is using its own internal house numbers for these results? If so that is not consistent with my experience.

That is what Ohad says will happen, but only if the algorithm does a 100% match with the search string to the Waze house number database. I am also not sure this is how it works in the wild, and exactly what my paragraph starting "One thing I can't necessarily verify..." is about. If this is how it works and it does work, how can we tell?
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:33 pm

Are you and Ohad saying this is how it currently works? If so I must be confused.

What does "that will well be the navigation target" or "that house will be navigation target" mean? Are you saying that waze is using its own internal house numbers for these results? If so that is not consistent with my experience.
CBenson

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:15 pm

scerruti wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote: When you search house numbers in the beta editor, the results are from Waze nearly 100% of the time, and the search pin lands at the stop point (on the road). Perhaps the stop point in the app would show the same?

Am I missing something, doesn't this break door-to-door routing to stores in large parking lots? Perhaps that is irrelevant because you rarely search for stores directly by address, but for apartment complexes with numbered buildings you do.

Also, does this get applied for contact searches?

You are totally correct about the stop-point problem. That the stop point becomes the navigation destination is the main reason we pleaded with Waze not to release internal house number search about a year ago. We did the testing and found that for any address for which the location was really close by (aka houses and businesses in urban/tight settings), that navigation stopped too soon and was significantly worse than relying on external data.

Contact searches where you enter a name, and Waze brings up the contact and then you tap on it and Waze looks up the address? Yes, it should apply there. I don't think Waze looks inside your contact records for an address you enter. Could be wrong on that.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby SlowlySlowly » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:09 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote: When you search house numbers in the beta editor, the results are from Waze nearly 100% of the time, and the search pin lands at the stop point (on the road). Perhaps the stop point in the app would show the same?

Am I missing something, doesn't this break door-to-door routing to stores in large parking lots? Perhaps that is irrelevant because you rarely search for stores directly by address, but for apartment complexes with numbered buildings you do.

Also, does this get applied for contact searches?
SlowlySlowly

Postby sketch » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:20 pm

That looks good and, besides the "selecting a Google result and getting a matched Waze result" (just cause I had no way of knowing), is consistent with my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Previous

Return to United States