This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by MaybeAfterLunch
DwarfLord wrote: ... brand new red cul-de-sac roundabouts by a Rank 2 editor with a different handle. A bunch created yesterday (Wed 3/12/2014).

This is the first time I've seen red roads created by a Rank 2. Usually by Rank 2 an editor has that much sorted...
must
disable
roundabout

level

one (and two!)

(gasp)
MaybeAfterLunch
Send a message
wiki.waze.com wrote:As a good note, remember that in major construction zones for Highways under construction, often Waze will try to route you through the construction, as if its the only route, since it prefers highways.

Post by nhanway
I got a hold of him. I tried to explain what he was doing wrong and stop the poor edits.
nhanway:
Hey aypsdeleon,

Roundabouts are for roundabouts only. Roundabouts are not used for cul-de-sac's... ever. I have gone through and deleted some but have left the rest for you to delete. If you don't I will within 7 days. Please also keep in mind that U-Turn should not be allowed on dead end segments so leave them RED.
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Junction_Sty ... ul-de-sacs

Please also remember when adding new roads to add City and Street Name fields. Otherwise some other editor has to go in and add those fields for you... Because you didn't add these all the roundabouts / roads you added are red in color.

Please read the Wiki
And read though the forum

Thanks,
Your area manager nhanway
aypsdeleon:
"Okay, I was just copying the google maps. Since google did buy Waze"
Just so you all know that I did get a response from aypsdeleon. I tried to make him aware of the fact that roundabouts aren't used for col-de-sacs.

Any updates on how many are still on the map?

I have been locking all dead end segments to level 2. For two reasons.
1) to prevent waze from automatically allowing U-turns
2) to prevent rookie editors from adding roundabouts.
this seems to be an common problem. So I been locking.
Maybe you guys should help me with this?
nhanway
Send a message

Post by nhanway
davielde wrote:
nhanway wrote:I have been locking all dead end segments to level 2. For two reasons.
1) to prevent waze from automatically allowing U-turns
2) to prevent rookie editors from adding roundabouts.
this seems to be an common problem. So I been locking.
Try to remember what it was like when you first started. Did anyone here edit a freeway on their first day? Sure, cul-de-sac changes are annoying, but would most people still be editing if someone locked them out of the little things from the start? I would much prefer new editors stick to cul-de-sacs, parking lot roads, and landmarking Taco Bells in my managed area because they won't affect routing for the majority of people, and it provides an "in" for guidance and mentoring for those who decide to stick with it. Major roads can still be locked, and the coming traffic locks will protect major routes that are not manually locked.

I've had a few editors in my managed area who edit for a day or two, decide it's not for them, and my PM for their red roads, roundabouts, etc. still appears in my Outbox instead of in Sent. They signed in, caused some minor issues, and never came back to the forum or WME. On the other hand, I've also had the opportunity to point people to various wiki or forum resources, and they've been quite responsive and appreciative. I've seen their edits improve, just like mine did/do continually. The things I pay most attention to now (often due to guidance from my RC and others) are certainly not what I was looking at in my first month or two. It's tempting sometimes to prevent short term problems (especially in an area you may have just edited recently and feel that some of your hard work has been undone...), but locking cul-de-sacs and simple two-way street segments may be discouraging editors who could otherwise be future area managers or even champs--they just need a little time and guidance to gain expertise.
The main reason I have been locking dead end segments is to prevent waze automatically allowing them in time. I do this especially in cities that are highly edited. I do not believe in locking everything though. Major roads are all locked... and downtown areas that are highly edited we lock.

I understand that making poor edits is part of the learning process. It give me as an Area Manager a chance to reach out and give them some guidance. So for that reason we don't lock the entire state...

There should be a better way to control new editors from making mistakes. But for now they should be allowed to run free and be given the benefit of the doubt.
kentsmith9 wrote:
daknife wrote:So we've progressed to the point that more and more areas are being locked to level 2 or higher. Should we just ask Waze to lock out all newbie editors? Assuming they will all make such mistakes? Locks should be restricted to real problems, not something like this.
If they are locked out, what do they edit to learn and get to rank 2?
Locking entire areas should only be if they are highly monitored and edited.
I think that there should be more restrictions for newbies.

I hope this helps explain my opinion on the subject.
nhanway
Send a message

Post by nhanway
daknife wrote:I think you miss-understand what locking a dead end road does. It doesn't prevent Waze from sending you on a U-turn. Locking doesn't affect any actual routing events or actions. It only limits editors.

You have to qw the end node to get it to not give u-turn instructions.
Copied this from the editing restrictions wiki page:

"The Waze server can alter road directionality, shape, and turn restrictions based on tracking real-world driving, via GPS inputs. It only does this on unlocked segments and junctions (that is, those locked at rank 1)."

Waze server automatically changes turn restrictions if a couple of wazer's turn thru the restricted turn. So locking does keep editors from editing but it also keep Waze's servers from editing...
nhanway
Send a message

Post by nhanway
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:But honestly, what purpose does the historical info serve in assisting editors right away? I understand that it could be interesting, but I don't see it as something which should be included in current operational guidelines. Think about a service desk that you call in for help with your computer. It would not be helpful to them to have pages of previous information about other operating systems or apps which are no longer in use, or the history of Microsoft outlook, just to get to the part about Outlook 2013 and a problem they are having with that one. Only if the historical information is actually relevant to today, should it be included. I see it as only a potential source of confusion.
I think having the "old" info is helpful to know. It helps explain why some segments are the way they are in the editor if no one has edited them befor. For example why there are a bunch of one way segments in small towns or rural areas.

I will no longer lock dead end segments for this reason.
nhanway
Send a message

Post by nhanway
Wiki proposal to be made wrote:===Automatic adjustments===
When a user edits the map and alters a previously untouched segment by changing the segment's nodes, turn restrictions, names, etc., the Waze servers will not automatically alter that segment in the future. Before a user alters a segment, the Waze server could alter road directionality, shape, and turn restrictions based on tracking real-world driving, via GPS inputs.

In the past, the Waze server was known to have changed even segments that had been edited. This lead to many users locking down roads to prevent the Waze server from adjusting the segment. Since the Waze server can no longer alter edited segments, locking roads for this reason is no longer necessary.

If an editor finds a road locked for seemingly no reason, use the procedure described above for changing locked map segments, to request a permanent release of the lock.
Sounds good to me!
nhanway
Send a message

Post by PhantomSoul
Anecdotes on deprecated procedures help determine the correct guidelines when there is conflicting information because something wasn't updated. The reality is that we all have day jobs and informational updates don't always get applied everywhere a particular subject is discusses and knowing which part of such a conflict is deprecated helps to determine which part should be followed.

Remember, this is about an editor with a question being able to figure it out themselves vs having to wait for an AM to answer it for them.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by rgatland
Holy Cow! If I had editing rights up there, I would be happy to help clean up. It does look like chicken pox!

Good luck!
rgatland
Send a message
[img]https:///pcdMH[/img]

Post by rgatland
Great point davielde! I haven't been editing long, but I know that my learning and experience would certainly have been impaired by locks. It was nice to be able to start with cul de sacs and rural areas before jumping into the more complex city roads.
rgatland
Send a message
[img]https:///pcdMH[/img]

Post by SuperDave1426
Just to add my $0.02, in Reno, NV (part of the area I manage), I've been going through and locking major roads (Blvds, etc) at Rank 2. In Waze terms, anything that's a Primary Street or above gets considered for this locking. I'll look over the satellite imagery for the road, and if it looks "separated" enough that it might tempt a new editor to split it, it gets the lock.

I do this (after having read some of the stories here about Stupid New Editor Tricks (with apologies to David Letterman :))) because those are pretty major roads that a lot of people travel on and potentially use navigation to get around on. And frankly, to me it's more important to protect the integrity of those roads than it is to indulge a Shiny New Editor who has discovered the Shiny Map Editing Tool but has not yet taken the time to find the Shiny Wiki That Tells You How To Edit Right. ;)

We're all human, we all make mistakes. With editing, like anything else, you have to start somewhere. :-) I agree with those in this thread who have already said it - how will they get any practice editing or gain the edits necessary to make it to Rank 2 if just about everything gets locked at Rank 2? The smaller, less used roads are a nuisance to clean up, but at least they're not (usually) the disaster that someone breaking one of the main drags through the city would be. At least, IMO. :D
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message