This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by nzahn1
kentsmith9 wrote:Actually it technically is a problem. If you started routing from one side, navigation would not know which side you were on and might route you the wrong way. Could be confusing to a driver. Unlikely anyone would start routing right there, but I fixed them anyway.
Isn't this true of any two-way segment? It never knows if you are headed towards A or B.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

US Global Champ | MAR Coordinator | iOS Beta | WME Beta | Localizer
WME Profile | E-mail | MAR Forum | MAR Wiki | MD Twitter

Post by PhantomSoul
I would not use the toll road check box for a non-limited-access highway/bridge application like this.

Private road sounds like a better metaphor, since you wouldn't really go into the toll area, regardless of your avoid tolls setting, unless your origin or destination is within the toll area. Also, all segments behind a toll gate would have to be private road to avoid incurring an additional penalty switching back from private road within the toll area.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by PhantomSoul
CBenson wrote:
PhantomSoul wrote:since you wouldn't really go into the toll area, regardless of your avoid tolls setting
Why not? If you are willing to pay the entrance fee to drive through, why shouldn't you be able to turn toll avoidance off and have waze give you the fastest route taking into account the possible routes through the toll area?
I guess so, though it's still kind of weird...
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by sketch
daknife wrote:Private may be the better way to go. Those wanting to go into PB will have to pay the tolls, this isn't like drivers passing through the area are likely to be routed through PB if it's set up with private entrances like we do for military bases and other installations. That will let people be routed in even if they do have the "avoid toll road" option selected.
I concur. Just because something is a public (as in funded) facility (e.g., military base) or "open to the public" (e.g., golf course) doesn't necessarily mean it isn't a Private [road] Installation as defined in Waze. Exchanging money for passage doesn't make something a "toll", necessarily — when it's "entry" rather than "passage" you're paying for, it's an "entry fee" and not a "toll", and shouldn't be marked as such.

Using Private Road segments will ensure that everyone who specifically sets a destination at Pebble Beach, and no one else, will be routed there. Everyone whose destination is there knows (or will soon find out) they'll have to pay the fee to enter; everyone whose destination is somewhere else, even if they took a tollway on the route, presumably won't want to pay the fee just to drive through Pebble Beach (if that's even possible).
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
It's entirely possible or probable that I'm misunderstanding (or, really, improperly assuming) exactly how Pebble Beach is set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
PhantomSoul wrote:I would not use the toll road check box for a non-limited-access highway/bridge application like this.

Private road sounds like a better metaphor, since you wouldn't really go into the toll area, regardless of your avoid tolls setting, unless your origin or destination is within the toll area.
This was originally my thought, but I said so assuming you'd only want to drive into Pebble Beach if you wanted to go to Pebble Beach. If it's indeed possible and potentially desirable to pay the fee and drive through Pebble Beach to somewhere on the other end, which is the impression I'm getting, then using tolls is the better option.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message