Waze US Mentorship Program - Trial

Image This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Postby orbitc » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:38 am

This post moved to here.

Hi Editors!

We are starting a new mentorship program with Great Mentors to help you enhance your editing. It's in trial period so bear with us. Below are the Mentors who willing to share their time to help you become a great editors.

Better the editors get faster they move up ranks.

Mentors (Rank 6)
  • banished (FL)
  • CBenson (MD)
  • daknife (UT)
  • GizmoGuy411 (IL, IN, MI, OH, WI)
  • Jemay (CA)
  • nnote (AZ)
  • orbitc (NJ)
  • sketch (LA)
  • Vectorspace (NM)

Mentors (Rank 5)
  • bigbear3764 (IL)
  • MGODLEW (PA)
  • ottonomy (CA)
  • PhantomSoul (NJ, NY)
  • pjlasl (TX)
  • ply8808 (AZ)

Mentors (Rank 4)
  • Bigworm23 (TN)
  • no1uknow (PA)
  • PesachZ (NJ, NY)
  • qwaletee (NJ, NY)

Please let us know by filling this form if you are interested. Note that this is a limited trial, and trial memberships will be granted on a first-come, first-mentored basis.

Those who agree and want to become a mentor need to read this document. If you agree those terms please send email to: WazeMentor@gmail.com.
Regional Coordinator for Northeast (DE, NJ, NY, PA) & New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT)
• ßeta Tester
• iOS ßeta: Always the latest version
• WME ßeta

WME | USA | MapRaid!
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider

Re: Waze US Mentorship Program - Trial

Postby txemt » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:10 am

I have a question. Do we really need to sign up to be mentors? I think all of the level 6s are already mentoring and several level 5s are mentoring. Do we really need to have an official list? With the chat window in the editor, we can mentor more than one person at a time. How many of us have been instructing someone on how to do something and four or five different editors show up to see what's going on, or put in their two cents, as well as ask questions? I didn't sign up to be a mentor at that time, those people and myself just happened to be online at the same time.
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.
txemt
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby sketch » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:13 am

This program has a different, though related, goal—one-on-one relationships with willing editors to guide and teach them comprehensively the skills required to be an effective AM or CM. It's to be an alternative upgrade path to the existing avenues. It's more formal because the consequences are higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby txemt » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:23 am

I have NO problem with putting in notes on an extra document or spreadsheet somewhere, but if I take on an editor, am I supposed to tell Sketch's editor, sorry, you need to wait for Sketch to show you the ropes?
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.
txemt
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby davielde » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:28 am

I would be interested. For the benefit of all, are there any details on the structure and expected time commitment, or is that something that will be worked out on a case by case basis with the mentor? Also, are you taking anyone interested (rank 1+), or are there "prerequisites"?
CM: USA
SM: Michigan, Vermont
AM: Ann Arbor, MI & Thunder Bay, ON
WME Michigan
davielde

Postby sketch » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:31 am

txemt: This doesn't affect informal teaching at all. Anyone can teach anyone anything at any time. It's the mentor's duty to ensure that the mentee either has or learns the requisite skills before the mentorship is concluded and the mentee is upgraded (or not). Whether the mentee learns it from you or me or from the mentor is immaterial; it's that the mentee knows it that matters.

davielde: We're planning to offer two levels: one for rank 1-2 editors seeking rank 3 and area managership; one for rank 3-4 editors seeking rank 5 and country managership. This is a trial run, so a lot isn't set in stone, in particular what exactly needs to be learned to advance in each case. But we feel we have enough of an idea generally to do a trial run.

Regarding best methods of communication and timing, that's more to be worked out between mentor and mentee. Presumably that would be partially handled as a preliminary manner in assigning mentees to mentors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby qwaletee » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:02 am

I'm up for it... but I've already been doing this, on the receiving end from orbitc. We formed a great relationship end of last year, and I think I could not have upgraded my skills this fast without it. I've been trying to pay it forward with a few beginners recently.
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby PesachZ » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:32 am

qwaletee wrote:I'm up for it... but I've already been doing this, on the receiving end from orbitc. We formed a great relationship end of last year, and I think I could not have upgraded my skills this fast without it. I've been trying to pay it forward with a few beginners recently.

Ditto, I couldn't have said it better myself. Count me in
ImageImageImageImageNYImageImageImageImageImageImage
Formal Mentoring, Wiki
Useful Wiki pages
URs & etiquette | WME | Editing Manual | Quick-Start Guide | Best Map Editing Practices | Junctions
State specific Wiki | Forum
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby ply8808 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:38 pm

I will offer my time on both sides of this trial, I have benefited from mentor-ship from jemay and nnote who have spent much time with me and am ready to start the process of CM consideration, so that mentoring will continue.
And would like to pay it forward to any who are committed in becoming better editors that would benefit from the one on one process.
Global Champ
Local Champ - USA
Assisting Regional Coordinator - Mid Atlantic Region
HD riding wazer, Arizona.
iPhone 7, iOS 10.1.1
ply8808
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby vectorspace » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:18 pm

From discussions with others working on this concept, I would describe it as a one strongly supported by Waze staff to help expedite motivated editors up the ranks more quickly. To do this, it was intended to be a more formal, one-on-one, intensive engagement with a start, objectives, and and end. The intent was to increase editing level immediately or in the middle of mentoring with the notion that level could be reduced if the Mentee didn't sufficiently engage.

OrbitC is leading. I have assisted by creating some draft documents that have yet to be shared including (1) a helpful process to consider when engaged in 1:1 mentoring, (2) Training and agreement for Mentors, and (3) agreed upon process or "management" of mentoring by Mentors so we have some consistency. We'll take advantage of some other tutorial efforts underway by Waze staff, and hopefully expand the tutorial material.

Because there is some risk in "more quickly," there was some intent to make this a "Formal Mentoring Program" where we both carefully select the Mentors and the Mentees. The objective was to not make mistakes in increasing levels and to make it enjoyable by everyone -- to make it a success. Mentors and Mentee both have to commit to this, and therefore one Mentor can only take on so many Mentees at a time.

It was not intended to replace all the existing informal mentoring going on, which is a great thing. It was intended to learn from the few examples where some informal Mentors and Mentees really committed to take time to improve. As such, everyone that becomes a Mentor will have to agree to a list of attributes and approaches before they are accepted as a Formal Waze Mentor. Waze staff said another "badge" and designation would likely be added to all those who are accepted into the Mentor position. Just because you're a level-6 or a Global Champ doesn't mean you would make a good Mentor. You have to have patience, interest in teaching, and the time to do it.

We discussed this "Trial" yesterday because (how I interpreted it), we could use a little more experience before launching a complete Waze Formal Mentoring activity. We could work out some bugs, get some lessons learned, and at the same time start to build a cadre of Mentors.
vectorspace
vectorspace

Next

Return to United States