Waze US Mentorship Program - Trial

Image This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: Waze US Mentorship Program - Trial

Postby kentsmith9 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:07 am

I updated the Badge table to show the three different badges for Mentors, but I cannot find anyone with the Local Champ status who is a mentor. If someone can tell me who has that badge, or if you already have the 63pixel version of the image you can upload it directly to https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/index.php?title=Special:Upload&wpDestFile=Badge_Mentor_Local_Champ.png
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby enhket » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:08 am

Christopher C. Enhket
Languages: Español, English, Français, Português.
Coordinator, Beta editor/Editing expert, Campeón.
Communities established: 8
enhket
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby kentsmith9 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:24 am

enhket wrote:may this help? ;) https://www.waze.com/forum/memberlist.p ... group&g=73

Image uploaded.

Perfect. And the Badge table is now correct.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jstrangfeld » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:08 pm

Would love to learn more (in addition to the wisdom imparted by the good folks on chat to myself and all the other "cohorts").
Image ImageImageImageImage
jstrangfeld

Postby orbitc » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:13 pm

jstrangfeld wrote:Would love to learn more (in addition to the wisdom imparted by the good folks on chat to myself and all the other "cohorts").

What do you need to know? Ask away. We have all the info on the first post of this thread. Is there something specific I can answer?
Thanks for the interest.
Regional Coordinator for Northeast (DE, NJ, NY, PA) & New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT)
• ßeta Tester
• iOS ßeta: Always the latest version
• WME ßeta

WME | USA | MapRaid!
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider

Waze US Mentorship Program - Trial

Postby carloslaso » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:08 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:I updated the Badge table to show the three different badges for Mentors, but I cannot find anyone with the Local Champ status who is a mentor. If someone can tell me who has that badge, or if you already have the 63pixel version of the image you can upload it directly to https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/index.php?title=Special:Upload&wpDestFile=Badge_Mentor_Local_Champ.png

Local champ mentor here

Oops! Too late, my bad
Image Image
Image Coordinador de Comunidad en México / Foro de México / Anuncios de Waze
Supervisor Noroeste: BC, BCS, SON, SIN, CHH, DUR

iPhone 6s+ / iOS 10 / Waze 4.12 / @carloslaso
carloslaso
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby Daknife » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:38 pm

Good to see we finally have someone mentoring all those out of control local and global champs. ;)
AM in Utah; CM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Samsung Galaxy S4 running 4.4 KitKat on Sprint
Daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby SkiDooGuy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:22 am

Gentlemen and Ladies if they are here. After watching the Webinar this evening I had a few questions to ask, figured being as the mentor program kind of surrounds them all this would be a good place to start.

So from what I am understanding Waze is trying to promote the idea of people becoming more active in the community and editing. Trying to encourage people to become higher ranks, take on additional roles and responsibilities. I think this is both a great thing and of course something to be approached with great caution. We all know the damage that can be done by giving someone who either doesn't know what they are doing, or is just hungry to get "the next level" access to more "power".

First off I want to express the fact that I know anyone higher than an AM is busy beyond what I even could begin to understand at this point. The senior members have huge tasks that keep them busy at all moments of their free time.

However it seems that even though Waze is encouraging more participation and we have things like the mentor program now, it is still high near impossible to gain a moments attention from the senior individuals. I submitted a application for a mentor a week ago now and have heard nothing back. Now I'm not looking for a mentor to show me how to do everything by any means. I am capable enough know where to go to find information when needed. I follow the forums and Wiki closely and never edit without them readily available if needed. This evening was a good example. There was construction that was finished last week, a junior editor did some work and did a good job. Unknown to him he couldn't actually connect the on ramps to the freeway, so just left them sitting over it. I made a quick request in the chat box, but out of the 6-7 members level 5 and above, I didn't get a single response. Now again, I understand they are busy beyond my comprehension, but how long does it take to quickly hook up two ramps? What's the point of chat if I'm going to have to go submit a update request anyway?

I have also mentioned in chat, and have posted in two different forums about a huge breach in the freeway system here in San Diego. Every freeway has large segments that are down to level 2 or 3, some even to 1! And I know it would only take a senior editor mere moments to go through, use the "select entire street" and put it back to 5. Granted there are a lot of freeways, and I've seen the breach all the way up past Pendleton, but I also have seen what can happen if a level 1 unknowingly disconnects a segment on accident. The havoc that can raise in the client is enormous.

As for me submitting a mentor request, I am the only editor in my particular area of San Diego, and just because I am an AM doesn't mean my work might not be completely incorrect. We all know rank doesn't mean quality work all the time. The reason I submitted for a mentor was so I could have an experienced individual look over all my work. Tell me if they find anything I may be doing incorrect or could do different or better. I have been using the client for while now, and although I may have only been editing for about 7 months. I am very interested to become a larger part of this community. I enjoy the intent behind it and enjoy the chance to help others learn their way. But I would like to make sure that I am correct so I know I am passing on good information.

I do not mean this post as a complaint or negative in any regard. Although I know some will take it that way. It is merely an observation I have made over the past 2 or so weeks. I genuinely look forward to growing in this community and take on bigger and more difficult roles when the opportunity presents itself. And I thank the senior editors for the hard work they put into making this the community and application the way it is.

-Bruce
Asst Regional Coordinator: Great Lakes Region
Local Champ: USA, Canada
Country Manager: USA, Canada, Palau
Area Manager: Detroit, SoCal
SkiDooGuy
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Postby sketch » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:57 am

Thanks for your feedback, Bruce.

Your feedback and that of others has made it clear that we should provide some sort of confirmation message or other such explanation of the next step — a step we must take, but when, right?

This is a trial run, so these are the kinds of things we're trying to find out here.

Of course, before the trial program started, we couldn't really know what the demand for it would be like, or how immediately we would be able to satisfy that demand.

I believe a waiting period of a week or more is reasonable, considering the limited number of mentors — but prospective mentors should be provided notice of this. We aren't necessarily capable of giving an estimate, but we should say it might be a while.

--
As for "informal mentoring" and high-rank user availability in chat, know that many of us tend to leave the Waze editor open in a window or tab even when we're not at the computer. Perhaps this is something that should be addressed in the Wiki as well. Speaking for myself, I have the editor window open most of the time, but I'm usually (these days) too busy with my life outside of Waze that I'm not usually in the editor looking at chat. If I am looking, though, I will be glad to help you. Part of this could be solved by additional chat features — mention notifications and private messaging — which may or may not be coming in the future. I have a small screen, so I can't chat while editing effectively a lot of the time :(

--
Anyway, like I said, feedback from users like you is part of the reason we are doing this trial run. We appreciate it. The leaders and pioneers of the formal mentorship program are watching this thread, believe me! :D
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby SkiDooGuy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:51 am

sketch wrote:Thanks for your feedback, Bruce.

Your feedback and that of others has made it clear that we should provide some sort of confirmation message or other such explanation of the next step — a step we must take, but when, right?

This is a trial run, so these are the kinds of things we're trying to find out here.

Of course, before the trial program started, we couldn't really know what the demand for it would be like, or how immediately we would be able to satisfy that demand.

I believe a waiting period of a week or more is reasonable, considering the limited number of mentors — but prospective mentors should be provided notice of this. We aren't necessarily capable of giving an estimate, but we should say it might be a while.

--
As for "informal mentoring" and high-rank user availability in chat, know that many of us tend to leave the Waze editor open in a window or tab even when we're not at the computer. Perhaps this is something that should be addressed in the Wiki as well. Speaking for myself, I have the editor window open most of the time, but I'm usually (these days) too busy with my life outside of Waze that I'm not usually in the editor looking at chat. If I am looking, though, I will be glad to help you. Part of this could be solved by additional chat features — mention notifications and private messaging — which may or may not be coming in the future. I have a small screen, so I can't chat while editing effectively a lot of the time :(

--
Anyway, like I said, feedback from users like you is part of the reason we are doing this trial run. We appreciate it. The leaders and pioneers of the formal mentorship program are watching this thread, believe me! :D

I totally agree that a week is more than a fair minimum at this point. And I'm sure you all have already talked about all of this many time. But I would suggest setting up a system like you guys have for the AM. An auto reply email system, so prospective mentee's know that the request is being looked at and processed.

As for chat, again I completely understand, and that all of this is still in a very new stage, however an AFK timeout or something would be a great feature.

Like I said, I'm sure this all gets talked about in beta all the time. Hopefully the program will be accepting new members soon and I can get in.

Thanks for listening guys!

(p.s.- maybe all the champs should get computers with bigger screen courtesy of Waze for these purposes!!) ;)
Asst Regional Coordinator: Great Lakes Region
Local Champ: USA, Canada
Country Manager: USA, Canada, Palau
Area Manager: Detroit, SoCal
SkiDooGuy
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to United States