This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by PesachZ
orbitc wrote:
sketch wrote:
redviper26 wrote:Hey guys,

We started uploading the new mentor badge.. Enjoy :)

Noam
Can we get our bold black usernames back? Ooh, or maybe a nice purple to match the badge! ;)
How about Red :D
Looks like you got purple as of now. That was quick.
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
https://s.waze.tools/gc.pngNYhttps://j.mp/1xPiWC8https://j.mp/1C9mUY2
Formal Mentoring, Wiki
Useful Wiki pages
URs & etiquette | WME | Editing Manual | Quick-Start Guide | Best Map Editing Practices | Junctions
State specific Wiki | Forum

Post by PesachZ
mdavidsonjr wrote:You can count me in too. I might be able to be there all the time do to the way I have to work sometimes but I want to learn to be a better editor . I am level 2 now but enjoy helping with the map to make it the best it could be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi mdavidsonjr,
If you are interested in joining the mentorship program trial, please follow the instructions in the first post of this thread and fill out the form linked at the end of that post.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Formal Mentoring, Wiki
Useful Wiki pages
URs & etiquette | WME | Editing Manual | Quick-Start Guide | Best Map Editing Practices | Junctions

Post by PesachZ
orbitc wrote:
PesachZ wrote:

We started uploading the new mentor badge.. Enjoy :)

Noam
Thank you Noam, will there only be a new badge for the mentors who are also global champs?
They are working on US Champ and Editor versions as well. They'll upload them soon ;)
It's official the Local Champ and Editor versions are live on the forum now (with purple name text).
kentsmith9 wrote:Very appropriate icon. I also added it to the Wiki page on forum badges.
Maybe you can add these two to the wiki as well.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Formal Mentoring, Wiki
Useful Wiki pages

Post by ply8808
I will offer my time on both sides of this trial, I have benefited from mentor-ship from jemay and nnote who have spent much time with me and am ready to start the process of CM consideration, so that mentoring will continue.
And would like to pay it forward to any who are committed in becoming better editors that would benefit from the one on one process.
ply8808
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Global Champ
Local Champ - USA
HD riding wazer, Arizona.
iPhone 7, iOS 13.3.1

Post by ply8808
Although this post is summed up in the above posts I will offer some insight of my recent climb through the rank and AM process.
I was fortunate to have time and travel on my side to dedicate to the editing community and this allowed me access of many editing areas, and required edits for rank came quickly until the request of rank 5 in which it was recommended that I become an AM first. It should be mentioned here that from the beginning it was never a goal of mine to be an AM but to only assist in the areas I traveled. At this point a decision had to be made for a solid commitment and once made the mentoring process began and though it was a lengthy process it was necessary to become efficient and knowledgeable to the community standards and activities, and it was definitely expedited by that review process.
This program is an opportunity for formalizing that interaction for known and specific goals, and the review and approval process is necessary to find the truly committed editors.
I now find myself back in the areas I first edited not only to correct mistakes but to find so much that was overlooked due to my inexperience.
With the new tools and ever changing working platform that has evolved through the senior editors commitment and budding technology it has become very easy to recognize issues, but each new editor must learn the basics and "why" they are issues instead of reacting to colors and highlights and simply clicking away.
My last note will be to the new badge created, very nice by the way, this is a symbol that I believe each Champ, RC has performed and earned through the reviewing and approval process as that is an application of Formal Mentoring, I have hopes of performing and earning that status through this very program, as well as continuing my own improvement through the same.
ply8808
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Global Champ
Local Champ - USA
iPhone 7, iOS 13.3.1

Post by ply8808
Thank you for the comments Bruce,
I will +1 sketch and vectorspace comments and add to the chat concerns and response time.
One consideration is that not all rank 5s and 6s have CM staus and may not be ignoring a request but simply not reacting as it is a request for an unlock/update out of their range.
The other consideration is the AFK issue, I personally would like to monitor chat all day but simply not possible with work and family, but have found that by going invisible when leaving the computer this insures all know I am no longer unavailable as my chat icon disappears, the downfall of this is when someone can see my icon right next to them on the map and yet there is no answer to their call in chat.

*EDIT* Clarification to the statement of "not all rank 5s and 6s have CM status"
Rank 5 editors may or may not have CM status
Rank 6 editors with the exception of grandfathered ranks do have CM status
The natural progression would be Rank 5 to CM status
ply8808
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Global Champ
Local Champ - USA
iPhone 7, iOS 13.3.1

Post by qwaletee
I'm up for it... but I've already been doing this, on the receiving end from orbitc. We formed a great relationship end of last year, and I think I could not have upgraded my skills this fast without it. I've been trying to pay it forward with a few beginners recently.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by qwaletee
Hi, txemt,

I think it makes sense for the mentoring pair to share a geographic home base.

An exception might be made if there's a particular skill that a distant mentor is most suitable to teach, and the skill is transferable across geography, e.g., writing skills, interacting with drivers in URs, using add-on scripts.

It would probably be worthwhile to generate a list of common mentoring topics, and highlight which ones have more or less local sensitivity.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by qwaletee

Thanks for the feedback. Already implemented some of it, really good stuff.

A general comment - this is a "generic" presentation, meant to be modified and adjusted by editors depending on their community and country. So, the comment regarding regional managers is correct, but should probably be addressed by the US champ who'll use it.

I think the feedback regarding experts makes perfect sense and made some additions and adjustments accordingly.

Thanks,

Noam
Hi, Noam,

The presentation is nice, but tin. I'm also unsure of what the target audience is, or its goal. Are we trying to get drivers to become editors to become involved community people? This is too dry for that. Are we trying to get them to know the who the community is? We need them to become engaged for that to happen.

Can I suggest a structural approach where we start by focusing on what the broad areas of the Waze community are, in a marketing-oriented display? Then suggest that the editor pick an area that interests him or her, and how to get involved in that.

Also, be careful with jargon. Even a term as simple as forum may not be familiar to some.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message