This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Waze US Mentorship Program - Trial

Post by orbitc
This post moved to here.

Hi Editors!

We are starting a new mentorship program with Great Mentors to help you enhance your editing. It's in trial period so bear with us. Below are the Mentors who willing to share their time to help you become a great editors.

Better the editors get faster they move up ranks.

Mentors (Rank 6)
  • banished (FL)
  • CBenson (MD)
  • daknife (UT)
  • GizmoGuy411 (IL, IN, MI, OH, WI)
  • Jemay (CA)
  • nnote (AZ)
  • orbitc (NJ)
  • sketch (LA)
  • Vectorspace (NM)
Mentors (Rank 5)
  • bigbear3764 (IL)
  • MGODLEW (PA)
  • ottonomy (CA)
  • PhantomSoul (NJ, NY)
  • pjlasl (TX)
  • ply8808 (AZ)
Mentors (Rank 4)
  • Bigworm23 (TN)
  • no1uknow (PA)
  • PesachZ (NJ, NY)
  • qwaletee (NJ, NY)
Please let us know by filling this form if you are interested. Note that this is a limited trial, and trial memberships will be granted on a first-come, first-mentored basis.

Those who agree and want to become a mentor need to read this document. If you agree those terms please send email to: WazeMentor@gmail.com.
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

POSTER_ID:8359316

Send a message
Regional Coordinator for Northeast & New England
•Tier1 •USA Coordinator •Global Champ & Mentor
•iOS & WME ßeta Tester •Beacon, CCP & Wiki Master
•Master Raiders •Localization •Content Raider

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
PhantomSoul wrote:Sounds great. Count me in.
OK...
I added to the Mentor list. Please make sure to read the first post. Thank you
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
bigbear3764 wrote:I've been kicking this around too, count me in. Pretty much been doing it with editors in my area already. Might as well make it formal.
I added you as well to the Mentor list. Please don't forget to read the first post. Thank you
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
vectorspace wrote:
jeigh17 wrote:Teach me oh great ones. Count me in. A more formal approach to mentorship is very much appreciated. And like others have already said, I'm willing to in turn mentor others when I too reach "enlightenment".
Ha ha! I think that once we reach enlightenment, we should change our signature graphic to show a yellow glow around the back of the Wazer icon! I haven't talked to OrbitC about diplomas yet, but maybe we can work on that...
Why not...
Let me see if I can do something about that. No promises.
Or...I can safely say you'll get a diploma soon :)
wazeedit.jpg
(48.07 KiB) Downloaded 885 times
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
txemt wrote:Here's a question: What happens when editor123(2) does something Jemay had mentored to him which doesn't apply for a certain state editor123(2) is editing in but gets corrected by a 5 or 6 who resides and/or manages said state, but editor123 refuses to listen to the 5 or 6 or tells the 5 or 6 "this is how I was taught and I'm doing it how I was taught" and continues to do it wrong?

Example:
Alleys are authorized in California, but not authorized in Texas. I'd be pretty unhappy if editor123(2) told me they're editing alleys because the mentor told them to add alleys into the editor. If I told editor123(2) to stop adding alleys in Texas and he doesn't want to listen to reason, what good does it do for editor123(2) who's now being told two different things to do in the editor?
The editor123(2)example you gave can happen during WME chat too. Our goal is the teach the basics and move up to more advance topics. One of those topics would be to teach an editor the differences in states and let them know about the wiki pages. In fact, having the mentorship program will be beneficial especially to your example above.
In addition, if a mentee is located in Texas we will try to have a mentor from that region. If not, then we'll make sure that the mentor follows state wiki page.
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
CBenson wrote:To be honest, if I took a trip to Texas and encountered an alley that would improve a route that I wanted to add to the map and you simply told me they are not "authorized" I'd be pretty unhappy. As long as you provide the reason, we shouldn't have problems.
I think, this is exactly the intent of the presentations and mentoring program. We often ask editors to read Waze forum and wiki to stay current with the changes. Our goal should be enlightening the editors to become self aware of the process of how Waze operates. Simple do's or don't's won't be beneficial.
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
redviper26 wrote:Hey guys,

The second presentation is ready. This one is about community roles, and as with the previous one it's a basis for your changes and adjustments.

You'll need to ask for viewing permissions - I'll grant them of course :)

Let me know what you think,

Noam
This is great. I wonder if it be too much if we define a bit further and explain the different roles:
Experts
  • Forum moderators: Experts will act as moderators on the relevant forums. Supporting the local community. Experts should be the ‘guiding hand’ for their community in their area of expertise.
  • Wiki management: Experts will have the responsibility to create, maintain and update the relevant information sources such as wiki pages, professional guides and knowledge-base
  • Beta testing and release of new versions: The experts will be informed of upcoming versions and should be part of the Beta groups for each area.
Specific expertises:
  • Localization experts: In addition to the roles described above, they will also join the “Transifex” system and work directly with the Head of Localization
  • Social Media Experts: In addition to the roles described above, they will maintain the Waze SM pages of their country and will work directly with the Social Media Manager
  • Editing Experts / WME beta experts: In addition to the roles described above, will be active in the beta editor and its forum.They will share their feedback and inform the community manager @ Waze or the editor product manager about all burning issues related to the editor and to editing.
  • Client experts / iOS experts / Android experts: In addition to the roles described above, will be active in the beta testing group and its forum. They will share their feedback and inform the community manager @ Waze or the QA about all burning issues related to the client, requested features and serious bugs. As soon as we’ll implement an issue tracking platform, they will take an active part in it.
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
Other
  • Do you want to list "Mentor" as a new community role since that is being developed for Formal Mentoring?
  • Without going into a lot of detail, I think you could extend one of your comments with another slide -- one about what is not exactly a community role. Listing that editing rank, AM, and CM are not specifically community roles might help clear confusion. Mentioning that AM and CM have implications in community roles would also be important. It is harder to be a AM, and even more, a CM, without getting involved in the community somehow.
  • This looks like a quick presentation unless elaborated by the presenter. A presenter might want to have more notes or activity about their presentation. For instance, if I were giving this I would likely:
    • Break away from the slides to show the US board and all the regions, then point out the RCs.
    • Go to "Board index ‹ Community ‹ Experts" on the forum to show that area after the Experts page.
    • So... perhaps you want a hyperlink on relevant pages to where more resources can be found in the Forum when it makes sense.
  • Since this is about people, having some people's faces and people working together (better if Waze-related, but even stock photos would be better than nothing) might liven up the slides a bit and hold more interest.

+1
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
Why don't you talk to the person who does alleged harassing. I think, you'll get a better result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
daknife wrote:Okay, I'll bite. Count me in. Oh and I think Tx was wanting in too (as a mentee)... just kidding TxEmt.

Read through everything (or at least every link that actually opened anything other than a request for access.) No objections or problems with what I read.
Thank you. I added you the list. :D
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

USA | MapRaid!