Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Places and release today

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
All,

With Places being released today, maybe I'm just more anxious than normal, but I think we need to get the word out on how we feel Places should be set in terms of Area or Point. Because the map is going to start filling up with POIs now. I feel like something needs to be put onto the wiki ASAP and a thread ready to roll to the US editors, etc.

The landmarks in the US wiki page needs an overhaul quickly, if so. (Renamed, revamped)

Thoughts?
-Alan
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:701618

Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I started a thread in the wiki form. Bare-bones page on Places started. It's only guidance on whether a Place should be a Point or Area for now.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
The release was delayed.

Places is not google. Please see the places thread in the wiki forum for more info.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AndyPoms
It's being released today? I'm still seeing all the landmarks locked on the production server.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by CBenson
I agree with your apprehension. But, I not sure what to say though. I'm not sure what the properties of the places are yet.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by DwarfLord
As an emergency stopgap measure, we could add a big bold note to the landmark guidance saying yes, the tools have changed, but until further notice please respect existing guidance.

As existing guidance is more restrictive than where we are probably going, this should at least err on the conservative side and buy time to refine the guidance. That's better than implicitly endorsing a "landmark rush" that could have us in cleanup mode for weeks...

Edit: although I was a major contributor to the current Landmarks page, whoever edits it should have at least a foggy clue about the new system, which I do not :mrgreen:
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by nzahn1
Places release today? This should be fun.
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

US Global Champ | MAR Coordinator | iOS Beta | WME Beta | Localizer
WME Profile | E-mail | MAR Forum | MAR Wiki | MD Twitter

Post by vectorspace
I guess I am a bit confused by this.

It seemed to me that landmark guidance was stalled for about a year or so when comments on the topic were locked. The Wiki landmarks page, unless updated recently, was mostly empty. I saw some good work on rest area detail a while back. I also saw quite different opinions from different editors and Champs about what should and what should not be a landmark. I have seen people wholesale delete landmarks that editors have spent time entering, sure, some were not reasonable, but not all were bad. This rude behavior on the part of those deleting, without notifying the creators, has caused us to loose good editors. We had guidance from Waze top management to add more content at the last Meetup, but that was not resolved.

I am concerned by a rush to try to put a lid on this when things have been stalled for a long time.

I am not sure how Places (I assume you're talking about Google Places) is going to intersect with Waze. Is there a source for this where we can all get up to speed?
vectorspace
Send a message
vectorspace

Post by vectorspace
OK... for others who have been busy on other things, the link to that thread is here:

viewtopic.php?f=276&t=86461

I now see the perceived urgency around this topic and, perhaps, why some work on the Landmarks topic was delayed as it would intersect with development of Waze Places.
vectorspace
Send a message
vectorspace