This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

US Changes due to Places

Post by
There a couple of things that I think should be reviewed now that the places feature has been released.

In the general thread regarding the new wiki for places it was mentioned:
MGODLEW wrote:Should we start updating each state's wiki? For example in PA:

From: Landmarks in Pennsylvania should follow the guidelines for Connecticut until the national standard is complete.

To: Pennsylvania should follow the Places Wiki for guidance in regards to mapping Points of Interest & Businesses.
I think it would be better to have US centric discussion on this point. I would sugest simply deleting these sections from the state wikis now that there is universal/nationwide guidance.

I would also suggest that it is time to unsticky the "Landmark - Best Practices US" and "[USA] Landmark Guidance - Request for Comments" threads.

POSTER_ID:1005502

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
CBenson wrote:
archabaddon wrote:When can we have a Best Practices wiki page like we had for US landmarks (https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Landmarks)?
Now.
Actually, six hours before this post, this was mentioned in the wiki forum, posted in the Editor feedback thread, chatted multiple times in the editor and tweeted about more than once.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Since the guidance to not map any private businesses/places isn't relevant any longer, what local or state variations are we talking about?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
daknife wrote:Well one of my favorite points that I've made before. larger Religious locations.
I think that any substantially large enough Place can be reasonably argued to be an Area rather than a point. The Places wiki is to guide for the majority of those Place types. Nothing is ever 100%. :)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
PhantomSoul wrote:Also, are there any plans in the foreseeable future to integrate Waze's Places data stores with the ones for Google Places - or at least sync the two on the backend, etc., if this isn't being done so already?

If there are plans to sync the two, maybe we shouldn't go crazy manually adding places that already exist over on Google Map Maker. Does anyone know?
We do not know. That is, we have not been told either way.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
SuperDave1426 wrote: Areas show up on the map, but Points do not.
At this time, yes. But I would be surprised if they are not app changes planned to change this visibility. In a future version like 3.9 or 4.0, this may get an overhaul. So, for the time being, I'm ok with the majority of Places, because most should be Points, not showing on the map. We are maturing Waze's data and our ability to quickly adjust, without affecting the app map usability from its current state.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
We were not explicitly told whether Point Places will appear on the map. The app will get an overhaul of the map display in the coming year, like livemap did previously. However, if enhancements for some kind of display for Points will be included, we do not know. If they do, I am sure that they can do some sort of algorithm to do zoom-based density/population of points.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by ArchAbaddon
My initial thoughts for US place guidelines:

Any place consisting of one main building (with or without an attached parking lot) should be mapped as a point, to reduce map clutter.This includes:
  • Gas stations
  • Stand-alone retail or strip mall places
  • Stand-alone restaurants
Any place larger than one main building, or of a large geographic area should be marked as an area, including:
  • Malls and large shopping centers
  • Truck stops
  • Sports Arenas
  • Public, regional, state, and national parks
  • Golf courses and country clubs
This is just off the top of my head, as a starting point - especially if we can now map businesses. Using points more than areas will mark places without adding a lot of map clutter.
ArchAbaddon
Send a message
ArchAbaddon
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/2/24/W ... 2cones.png
Not quite a newb anymore.
The king of parking lot roads and cul de sacs.
Loyal only to the map.

ArchAbaddon's Guide for New US Editors (WIP)

Post by ArchAbaddon
I'd rather not read through 8+ pages of thread to understand the basics. When can we have a Best Practices wiki page like we had for US landmarks (https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Landmarks)? Besides, the whole point of creating this thread was to break it off of the thread you referenced.
ArchAbaddon
Send a message
ArchAbaddon
Loyal only to the map.

Post by ArchAbaddon
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
CBenson wrote:
archabaddon wrote:When can we have a Best Practices wiki page like we had for US landmarks (https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Landmarks)?
Now.
Actually, six hours before this post, this was mentioned in the wiki forum, posted in the Editor feedback thread, chatted multiple times in the editor and tweeted about more than once.
You can stop trolling the noob any time, guys. I get it, thanks.
ArchAbaddon
Send a message
ArchAbaddon
Loyal only to the map.

Post by bgodette
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
PhantomSoul wrote:Also, are there any plans in the foreseeable future to integrate Waze's Places data stores with the ones for Google Places - or at least sync the two on the backend, etc., if this isn't being done so already?

If there are plans to sync the two, maybe we shouldn't go crazy manually adding places that already exist over on Google Map Maker. Does anyone know?
We do not know. That is, we have not been told either way.
Seems like a good question to ask this weekend if they don't cover it during the presentations.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message