Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Waze US Webinars

Post by
We periodically hold "webinars" for various topics. These are intended to be informative and instructional on topics of editing the map for beginners to advanced Wazers.

Look here in the future for updated information about the timing and details of these webinars. Information will change on this first post as webinars are announced, but may be repeated in subsequent message to refresh date of posting and alert others.

FUTURE WEBINARS:
None listed at this time.

PAST WEBINARS:

Topic: 102 - Roles & Ranks for Community & Editing
Archive Video URL: Google+ YouTube
Date: Thursday April 17th (Completed)
Start Time: 9 pm Eastern, 6 pm Pacific
Duration: About 25 minutes. No Q&A occurred.
Presenters: Vectorspace
Target Audience / Who should attend: Those interested in learning more about the Ranks and Roles in the Waze Editing Community to be more effective at editing.
Purpose: New editors, and even those who have some experience, are often confused about roles and ranks in the Waze Community and how they work. Some clarity should help you learn faster and have better interactions while editing.
Outline:
  • * Community Roles, Editing Roles, Editing Ranks
    * Why have roles and ranks? What are cones & badges?
    * Identifying who’s who in the Waze Community
    * Editing Rank
    * Client Application Rank
    * Editing Role examples
    * Community Role examples
If you haven't yet voted on the best time for you to attend webinars, please do so at the following link. You can pick any number of days and times that work for you.

viewtopic.php?f=129&t=86586

Because of the dynamic nature of this information, this forum will be purged of older messages so that we can focus on the more near-term activities.

POSTER_ID:4612247

Send a message

Post by calandraca
Great presentation, I subscribed to the spanihs forum thread . Tahnks :)
calandraca
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
I too enjoyed the presentation a lot, thanks!

One thing that could help is more info about approaching higher-ranking editors for help.

Twice now I've seen broken road edits that were apparently "abandoned" by their editors after they realized they could not fix it due to the presence of a locked segment (of course it's possible they didn't even realize that it was broken at all). Abandoning the edits at that stage is the worst possible outcome.

Twice also I've seen editors handle a UR involving locked segments by starting the conversation with something like "needs Rank 5 to fix this" and then abandoning the UR. Yikes.

So it seems like clarifying the paths for approaching higher-ranking editors could be useful...?

Great job, cheers!
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
Glad to help! It made me think of another couple of suggestions. These are not related to editor levels/ranks/badges but I don't know where else to put them.

When I first started, the nomenclature of Map Problems and Update Requests really confused me. I did understand that there were two separate sources of alert pins, one automated the other user-generated, but if you stop to think, you realize the words "Map Problem" and "Update Request" do nothing to distinguish those sources. You just have to know. When Alan set me straight, I joked, so, if a user reports a map problem it isn't a Map Problem, and if the system requests an update it isn't an Update Request. To this day I say "User Report" instead of "Update Request" because the language more closely represents the meaning.

Even more confusing was that the meaning of the "Not identified" and "Solved" buttons is totally different depending on whether you are working a UR or an MP. If you are working a UR, "not identified" means you didn't nail it and "solved" means you did. But if you are working an MP, "not identified" means "escalate to a paid out-of-town editor of unknown skill with unpredictable results" and "solved" means either "I think I fixed it" or "consider this a bogus report and ignore it".

Once you've been doing this a month or so you forget that it was ever unclear. But boy was I confused at first!

Hope this helps!
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
Interesting! The MP wiki is different now than it was when I was learning late last year. Back then it said
It is not advised to mark many Problems as Not Identified because this flags the problem to be investigated by other non-local Editors who are not always familiar with local mapping guidelines and may cause more harm than good.
but now it says
Mark problems as "Not Identified" only if you are certain that there is not actually a problem there.
This is a significant change in the meaning of the "not identified" button. Good to know.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by Machete808
Just want to post thanks to all for organizing these webinars. I generally won't be able to take part live because of the time difference (for most of the year we're three hours behind Pacific), but it's great to at least have this resource archived!
Machete808
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/on9 ... i.png?dl=0https://www.dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s ... x.png?dl=0
U.S. Local Champ
Hawaii State Manager
California State Manager
Country manager, U.S.
Welcome, new editors:
Here's a good place to start!

Post by Machete808
vectorspace wrote:We'll start them up "soon." :)
Is there a collection of ideas for future topics?

One edition might be a briefing explaining the best process for improving point-of-interest routing (corrections to search engines, the effect of adding Place points or areas and of tweaking house numbers, etc.). This is the source of most URs, in my experience.
Machete808
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/on9 ... i.png?dl=0https://www.dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s ... x.png?dl=0
U.S. Local Champ
Hawaii State Manager
California State Manager
Country manager, U.S.
Welcome, new editors:
Here's a good place to start!

Post by orbitc
DwarfLord wrote:I too enjoyed the presentation a lot, thanks!

One thing that could help is more info about approaching higher-ranking editors for help.

Twice now I've seen broken road edits that were apparently "abandoned" by their editors after they realized they could not fix it due to the presence of a locked segment (of course it's possible they didn't even realize that it was broken at all). Abandoning the edits at that stage is the worst possible outcome.

Twice also I've seen editors handle a UR involving locked segments by starting the conversation with something like "needs Rank 5 to fix this" and then abandoning the UR. Yikes.

So it seems like clarifying the paths for approaching higher-ranking editors could be useful...?

Great job, cheers!
Great points. Thank you. I'll put these in our mentoring docs .
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Regional Coordinator for Northeast & New England
•Tier1 •USA Coordinator •Global Champ & Mentor
•iOS & WME ßeta Tester •Beacon, CCP & Wiki Master
•Master Raiders •Localization •Content Raider

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
vickimachado wrote:
vectorspace wrote:We'll start them up "soon." :)
Is there a collection of ideas for future topics?

One edition might be a briefing explaining the best process for improving point-of-interest routing (corrections to search engines, the effect of adding Place points or areas and of tweaking house numbers, etc.). This is the source of most URs, in my experience.
This is a great suggestion. We should do this one soon :)
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Regional Coordinator for Northeast & New England
•Tier1 •USA Coordinator •Global Champ & Mentor
•iOS & WME ßeta Tester •Beacon, CCP & Wiki Master
•Master Raiders •Localization •Content Raider

USA | MapRaid!

Post by PesachZ
vectorspace wrote:Thanks... I need to figure out how to get On Air videos like this to have interactive Q&A via video and chat. Didn't work for this one, but it was our first attempt!
I can help you test it out. Remind me on G+ later. I caught part of it, was very nice.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
https://s.waze.tools/gc.pngNYhttps://j.mp/1xPiWC8https://j.mp/1C9mUY2
Formal Mentoring, Wiki
Useful Wiki pages
URs & etiquette | WME | Editing Manual | Quick-Start Guide | Best Map Editing Practices | Junctions
State specific Wiki | Forum

Post by PesachZ
orbitc wrote:
DwarfLord wrote:I too enjoyed the presentation a lot, thanks!

Great job, cheers!
Great points. Thank you. I'll put these in our mentoring docs .
I already just added it to the skills list. Great idea.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
https://s.waze.tools/gc.pngNYhttps://j.mp/1xPiWC8https://j.mp/1C9mUY2
Formal Mentoring, Wiki
Useful Wiki pages
URs & etiquette | WME | Editing Manual | Quick-Start Guide | Best Map Editing Practices | Junctions
State specific Wiki | Forum