This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Report "wrong driving directions": What does it mean?

Post by drummer83
Hi everyone,

just a short question:

What does the report option "wrong driving directions" in the app mean?

a) This reports that a one way street is mapped in the wrong direction.
b) This reports that the spoken instructions at an intersection (e.g. keep left) are not correct.

We have a little translation issue here in Germany and I would like to clarify this.

Thanks for your help!
drummer
drummer83
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:2223222

Send a message

Post by drummer83
Thank you so much DwarfLord!

Yes, this is exactly what I wanted to find out. And your answer is perfectly clear (my question is not). :-)
drummer83
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by drummer83
Mesonus wrote:
DwarfLord wrote:the phrase "wrong driving directions"
The original phrase is "wrong driving drirection" - singular ;)
Well, on my Android version it is definitely "wrong driving directions" - plural ;-)
drummer83
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by drummer83
qwaletee wrote: This is not about segment directionality, it is about routing.
Okay, so it is NOT the segment directionality and it is NOT only the (spoken) turn instructions. It's ROUTING. :-)
Thanks!
drummer83
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
Reading between the lines of your query, specifically your mention of a translation question, I think what may be happening is that some are reading the word "directions" to mean "directionality".

As a native English -- OK, American English :) -- speaker, to me the phrase "wrong driving directions" is identical to "incorrect or inadequate instructions on how to get to my destination". It would never occur to me to think it means "the directionality setting for this street is wrong". For the latter I would use "General error" or "incorrect junction".

Also: vielleicht "Falsche Anfahrtsbeschreibung" nicht "Falsche Richtungen"?
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
Of course, a street with the wrong directionality could certainly cause wrong driving directions :)
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by jdeyoung
I've seen it mean a lot of things - including "I don't LIKE the directions given". However, it can mean both - spoken directions don't match arrows, can't make the indicated turn - either turn restrictions or no-entry to a one-way street. Or, the directions take a far longer route than needed - usually indicating a bad address, but users still report this as "wrong directions".
jdeyoung
Answers: 2
Send a message

Post by Mesonus
DwarfLord wrote:the phrase "wrong driving directions"
The original phrase is "wrong driving drirection" - singular ;) So I think, it's more likely that it means a wrong direction of a one way street...
Mesonus
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by PhantomSoul
It seems like wrong directions is like the miscellaneous category. From conversations with UR reporters, it seems to often be selected as the reason when directions given are not the ones expected - which could be caused by a variety of things:
  • Incorrectly marked turns
  • Bad destination location
  • Map errors causing a routing anomaly
  • System limits (for example, a freeway with 2 discrete roadways close together, moving in the same direction)
  • Multiple possible similarly-ranked routes in which an unexpected alternative is chosen as the slightest bit faster, often based on strictly technical reasons.
  • Just plain acute traffic conditions.

Needless to say, not all of these scenarios can always be fixed in WME. When in doubt, it's always best to seek the advice of a Champ familiar with your country.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by PhantomSoul
I would've never thought to use "Wrong Driving Directions" or even "Wrong Driving Direction" for an incorrectly configured one-way street. Maybe it's just something lost in translation to (American) English, but the phrase "driving directions" or even "driving direction" to most of us colloquially means a list of roads to take and places to turn to get to a destination, which explains why so many people around here are inclined to use this category when they get a route that's different from what they were expecting, regardless of correct and/or incorrect configurations of one-way roads.

"Wrong one-way road direction" is probably the best way to clarify this category in (American) English if we want it to be used for such problems, with the inclusion of "one-way road" being necessary to avoid any possible confusion with a driver's overall navigation directions.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message