Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Type of RLC I haven't seen before

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I noticed a new/approved RLC on the Waze map in the Portland, OR area. I investigated and found a smaller and shorter mount (uses 3 mounts total for the intersection) than I've seen before, and some kind of lane-specific overhead sensors, like you might see for weigh-in-motion systems for trucks on the interstate.

The mount in the streetview linked below looks like a flash-only unit. There is a similar mount with a camera facing the oncoming traffic at the intersection. See here in this google maps street view: http://goo.gl/maps/rdUSc

The intersection is marked as Photo Enforced a bit to the east.

Anyone seen this type before?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:701618

Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by admclamb
Just a joke....

I would swerve and hit their flash pole when the strobe flashed in my face at night trying to capture driver and front tag. Then sue for all they're worth.

Again, just a joke...I don't run red lights, so it would never flash in my face....
admclamb
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
doctorkb wrote:Does Oregon mark only those that are indeed photo enforced?
Usually, yes. But I'm not sure if it is everywhere. Some towns have a general "warning" at city borders.
doctorkb wrote:As for the StreetView, I can't see a lens... I see the sensors, and there is a strobe (incidentally, it appears to not be at an angle to catch red light infractions)... But no camera lens to actually capture a photo.
The camera appears to be on this mount (I mentioned in the OP that the camera is across the intersection: https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=45.4787 ... 55,,0,8.26
ggrane wrote:In florida I never seen one with the overhead sensor for RLC.
I believe this intersection you linked to does also have the overhead sensors, though those poles also have mounted on them a more "standard-looking" RLC/speed camera box too:
https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.9377 ... 4&t=m&z=19
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by CBenson
We've have RLC with flashes across the street in Maryland for as long as can remember cameras here. But we like our political scandals here. There's no much expectation of privacy when driving on public road so I doubt any such suit would get very far. Most RLCs around here are on two way roads, so the strobe is always flashing the face of one of the directions of the traffic. But the point is it flashes when you shouldn't be in the intersection.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by doctorkb
Does Oregon mark only those that are indeed photo enforced? I ask because around here, the signs are everywhere, but there are few intersections (relative to signs) that actually have it.

As for the StreetView, I can't see a lens... I see the sensors, and there is a strobe (incidentally, it appears to not be at an angle to catch red light infractions)... But no camera lens to actually capture a photo.

Is there any chance that the sensors are for some sort of commercial trucking or toll transponder, and the strobe is there to trick motorists?
doctorkb
Answers: 4
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
admclamb wrote:Just a joke....

I would swerve and hit their flash pole when the strobe flashed in my face at night trying to capture driver and front tag. Then sue for all they're worth.

Again, just a joke...I don't run red lights, so it would never flash in my face....
Yeah, I can't imagine those cameras will last long.

All it will take is a politician getting caught with an inappropriate passenger and there will be a privacy lawsuit right-quick.

That, or an accident being caused by the temporary blindness from the strobe facing you.
doctorkb
Answers: 4
Send a message

Post by ggrane
Alan, I have seen some what similar as the one you posted in columbia MO it has the overhead sensor and a camera/flash box on same pole and then across the intersection it has another lower camera , just like the one on your setup..
In florida I never seen one with the overhead sensor for RLC.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.937828, ... MvH-uA!2e0
ggrane
Send a message

Post by ggrane
alan, you are correct the link i posted does have the sensors and what looks like a camera/flash box. but also across the intersection it has what looks like camera. this been in missouri and with the car tags both in front and back of cars. I think they may use the front camera for both capture the driver and tag on same shot..
in florida , we do not use front tag on cars. so the RLC system is always mounted on the back side , camera, flash and so on.. but I have never seen one with a sensor overhead in south florida, only in missouri .
ggrane
Send a message

Post by pumrum
The only time I see overheads like that are on the highway looking for trucks that skip the weigh stations. Can't say if they are sensors or cameras

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pumrum
Send a message

Post by taco909
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I believe this intersection you linked to does also have the overhead sensors,
https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.9377 ... 4&t=m&z=19
You would be correct. The overhead cameras are in fact Iteris, look like model RZ-3 vehicle detection cameras.
I used to work for them, and worked for their #1 southwest distributor for 10 years prior... I've personally installed more than 2000 of those units.
I'm ground-based now :D
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich