Show speed limits om roads you drive.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Show speed limits om roads you drive.

Postby lchamp423 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:21 pm

kenf3 wrote:Just a quick clarification - my interest in allowing wazers to report speed limit signs was to help with highways where speed limits vary. A few years ago I got a ticket doing ~80 mph on a highway that is mostly 70 mph but occasionally drops down to 65 mph due to small towns. It was at night and I had just picked up a hamburger and must have missed the 65 mph sign. It would have been nice to glance down at Waze and see that 65 mph sign on my iPhone, or better yet, see that 65 mph sign blinking red because I exceeded my +10 mph limit I had set.

Speed Limit signs don't change often so once a Wazer posted its location, very little effort is required to maintain them. Obviously, Wazers should have the option to turn off the speed limits mapping layer like you can do with traffic, Wazer locations, etc.

Ken

For what it's worth...I have a Garmin GPS running all the time and use waze for routing. The Garmin tells me the speed limits.

When I see a police patrol, I quickly check the Garmin to confirm my speed limit in case I missed the last sign. Yeah, it would be nice if the Waze software included this. It seems that the thought of this causes a lot of resentment among the old hands here, so I'll keep using the Garmin for now...and the Waze, too...
Central Florida, USA
Verizon Droid Bionic
Waze 3.2.0.0
lchamp423

Postby gettingthere » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:10 pm

lchamp423 wrote:When I see a police patrol, I quickly check the Garmin to confirm my speed limit in case I missed the last sign. Yeah, it would be nice if the Waze software included this. It seems that the thought of this causes a lot of resentment among the old hands here, so I'll keep using the Garmin for now...and the Waze, too...

So when you get pulled over for speeding, good luck convincing the police officer that you were following the speed limit on your Garmin and not the signs posted on the road :P
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico
iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.3.1, Waze 4.4
Waze - PLEASE ADD CARPLAY SUPPORT
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:45 am

lchamp423 wrote:It seems that the thought of this causes a lot of resentment among the old hands here, ...
It's not resentment, it's resistance to the cold hard realization that it will fall on the community editors to maintain something that adds zero benefit to Waze's primary focus of traffic avoidance. The data will be wrong the day it's imported from whatever source, and will be a Sisyphean task to keep it up to date, all so the driver doesn't have to actually look anywhere but the bumper of the car in front of them.

Is it so much to ask of people to actually be aware of their surroundings? To actually do the "road, instruments, road, mirrors, road" sequence they're supposed to do, instead of going down the road in the passing lane with their turn signal on.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby floppyrod84 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:07 am

Well said. If you need to look at a screen to know what speed you should be doing because you were eating a burger or texting, and then bitch when you get a ticket, then for the love of God stay off the roads. I don't need my insurance premiums going up or a member of my family killed because Waze added another feature for people to mess about with their phones with because some nob wanted to check the speed limit instead of being aware and driving! /rant

using Tapatalk

Mod edit: removed profanity that may be inappropriate for some forum readers
floppyrod84

Postby CBenson » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:47 pm

Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.3.0.2
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby lchamp423 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:38 pm

xteejx wrote:Well said. If you need to look at a screen to know what speed you should be doing because you were eating a burger or texting, and then bitch when you get a ticket, then for the love of God stay off the roads. I don't need my insurance premiums going up or a member of my family killed because Waze added another feature for people to mess about with their phones with because some nob wanted to check the speed limit instead of being aware and driving! /rant

using Tapatalk

Mod edit: removed profanity that may be inappropriate for some forum readers

OK...I'm outta here. If you think I'm that stupid, I won't waste my time here.
Central Florida, USA
Verizon Droid Bionic
Waze 3.2.0.0
lchamp423

Postby DWDP » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:29 am

I understand speed limits data may be missing or wrong.
I also agree we don't' need drivers to be distracted looking at speed limits.

My solution is "better than nothing" just beep loud when my speed exceedes known speed limit by a selectable threshold.
I don't even need to see the limit on screen, if this is the problem.
Just want to have the opportunity to be warned loud if I am too much over the limit, so I can slow down ad avoid risking to loose my driving licence!
DWDP

Show speed limits om roads you drive.

Postby fvwazing » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:35 am

Believe me, you will switch that darn beep off in no time.
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby Daknife » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:01 am

fvwazing wrote:Believe me, you will switch that darn beep off in no time.

+100 I don't want no stinking beep. Maybe it's proprietary or copyrighted but I like the way my old Tom Tom did it, the color behind the the speed changed from black to red if you were exceeding what they thought the posted speed limit was.

But cruising the interstate in Utah at the speed limit will get you run over much of the time. So a constant beeping while just trying to move safely with the flow of traffic would greatly increase my cell phone costs as I'd end up throwing it out the window every time I drove on the Freeway.
AM in Utah; CM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Samsung Galaxy S4 running 4.4 KitKat on Sprint
Daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby Daknife » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:07 am

gettingthere wrote:
lchamp423 wrote:When I see a police patrol, I quickly check the Garmin to confirm my speed limit in case I missed the last sign. Yeah, it would be nice if the Waze software included this. It seems that the thought of this causes a lot of resentment among the old hands here, so I'll keep using the Garmin for now...and the Waze, too...

So when you get pulled over for speeding, good luck convincing the police officer that you were following the speed limit on your Garmin and not the signs posted on the road :P

If you are polite and courteous it can indeed result in the officer deciding to let you off with a warning when you explain that you had missed the last sign and according to the Garmin you thought you were within the limits. It's not a guarantee, but I've gotten out of many tickets by pulling over as soon as I realized the cop was moving and being polite and courteous and acknowledging that I understand why they pulled me over. Giving him a reason why you were so confused about the speed limit just helps him decide to be nice, if he's in the mood for it. And with Waze running you could even make a point of making a report of an incorrect speed limit with him right there watching you do it. If he's truly trying to reduce speeding and not just generating revenue then he'll appreciate you proactively taking a step to help others know the speed limits. You can even ask him where the current limit starts. Then when he walks away hit the speed trap warning as well just to further help your fellow wazers. ;) ;)
AM in Utah; CM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Samsung Galaxy S4 running 4.4 KitKat on Sprint
Daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General