Show speed limits om roads you drive.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Show speed limits om roads you drive.

Postby harling » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:30 pm

ryryryry87 wrote:
harling wrote:Mainly, it's because we already have a pretty good idea how much maintenance the current crowd-sourced data requires, and recognize that adding to that task list leaves fewer resources--Waze employees and volunteers both--available for tasks that are more critical to Waze's success, like making sure the maps are correct and up to date.

i am guessing you do not like Waze's gas price feature?

Those are apples & oranges in at least four ways. Gas prices are short-term, constantly-changing data; correspond to a fixed GPS location rather than an area or a number of road segments; can be adjusted within the client; and present little risk of legal liability if the incorrect value is posted.
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
harling

Show speed limits om roads you drive.

Postby fvwazing » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:15 am

ryryryry87 wrote:There are no known (to me, yet) issues to the map in my city, and I constantly look on the map for stuff to do. I am bored because I just wait for URs so I have something to edit. If I had speed limit data to input, I would have something to do with my free time again :)

I wished I had your problems! :evil:
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby harling » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:39 am

ryryryry87 wrote:
harling wrote:Gas prices are short-term, constantly-changing data; correspond to a fixed GPS location rather than an area or a number of road segments; can be adjusted within the client; and present little risk of legal liability if the incorrect value is posted.

Speed limit signs are long term, and rarely change (less maintenance than gas price changes)
Speed limit signs are a fixed GPS location (they are in the ground!) **I understand the implications in the current editor and this may need to be segment based**

Consider how many gas stations are maintained on the map. Now consider the number of segments on the map. (Hint: segment IDs are eight digits.)
Speed limit signs should be able to be adjusted in the client (with approval)

Exactly: who is going to review the speed limits submitted for the thousands of segments in my small town alone--not to mention in the greater Boston area, the rest of MA, North America...?
I think this task is less work than Gas station crowd-sourcing, but I may be wrong.

Even if Waze were keeping track of prices at 100,000 gas stations, it would take a couple years of daily fuel price updates to reach the number of speed limits that would have to be "approved" for just the first pass; i.e., not including corrections and additions.
I am bored because I just wait for URs so I have something to edit. If I had speed limit data to input, I would have something to do with my free time again :)

Now we're getting somewhere! If you have run out of URs, you need a larger area, preferably somewhere that does not already have an active AM. There is plenty of work left to do on the U.S. map, without having to create more.
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
harling

Postby bgodette » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:24 am

ryryryry87 wrote:There are no known (to me, yet) issues to the map in my city, and I constantly look on the map for stuff to do. I am bored because I just wait for URs so I have something to edit. If I had speed limit data to input, I would have something to do with my free time again :)
Lancaster may be free of UR/MP but this is far from done:
lancaster-z4.jpg
lancaster-z4.jpg (235.04 KiB) Viewed 1372 times

These are closer to done:
NewOrleans-z4.jpg
NewOrleans-z4.jpg (231.75 KiB) Viewed 1372 times

Denver-z4.jpg
Denver-z4.jpg (231.19 KiB) Viewed 1372 times
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Daknife » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:01 am

Yet if it's such an impossible task to accomplish using crowd sourcing, then how pray tell did the other stand-alone nav gadgets (Tom Tom, Garmin etc...) get their speed limit databases built without the power of crowdsourcing?

They aren't perfect but there weren't that many areas where my TomTom was wrong on what the posted speed limit was. Somehow they managed to get fairly accurate data, and they didn't have the crowd sourcing and device tracking abilities that Waze has. I think this is no more an unrealistic problem than any other mapping issue Waze has faced. Countries with no roads at all, which now have very complete maps without ever getting a basemap import. Countries that had pretty good user generated maps and then got a basemap import and within weeks the maps are looking navigable again (at least in major population areas). As TomTom and Garmin were able to come up with this data I'm thinking there's a national database available, and even if not, Waze could simply not show a speed on any segments that didn't have that data, and as users notice that, and edit, those segments will get filled in. Heck it'll give newbies in well edited areas some work to do to get points.
AM in Utah; CM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Samsung Galaxy S4 running 4.4 KitKat on Sprint
Daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby CBenson » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:31 am

bgodette wrote:Lancaster may be free of UR/MP but this is far from done
Well if Lancaster is routing fine, aren't you simply showing that node clean up isn't necessarily needed.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.3.0.2
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:26 pm

You can learn some about the highlighting tool here: http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Comm ... d_Segments
Although, I believe you need to be at area manager level or above to see the junction highlighting options.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.3.0.2
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby OldGnome » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:33 pm

daknife wrote:Yet if it's such an impossible task to accomplish using crowd sourcing, then how pray tell did the other stand-alone nav gadgets (Tom Tom, Garmin etc...) get their speed limit databases built without the power of crowdsourcing?

They may have gotten it here.

However, my understanding of the data used by Garmin is that it is "informational" and "used for calculating trip times."

That doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the accuracy of the data. I have, in fact, found a few locations where we lived in WI where the data is quite inaccurate.

I, for one, am not going to trust speed limit data other than that which I can see out the windshield as I drive. I would rather Waze spend their time on the current functionality of the product and leave speed limits alone.
OldGnome

Postby OldGnome » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:00 pm

ryryryry87 wrote:i am kind of curious the ages of people supporting this compared to those against this :roll:

Thanks for the :roll:

I was in my 30's when the Berlin Wall fell. You?

(I think we have both made our points here. I suspect others are tiring of it.)
OldGnome

Postby dmcconachie » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:19 pm

ryryryry87 wrote:i am kind of curious the ages of people supporting this compared to those against this :roll:

Implying...?
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ
OnePlus One • Android 6.0.1
UK WikiFB PageForum FAQCurrent status
dmcconachie

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General