Who checks the map edits?

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Re: Who checks the map edits?

Postby Kuhlkatz » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:52 am

overl0ad wrote:it's little things like roads not connected at all.

or someone has tried to add a road, made a mess of it, and just walked away.

i know that there was discussion on how "you shouldn't delete someone else's work", but if i come across a random bit of road that's clearly out of place (like a 2M road on top of a hospital roof), i just delete it.

i try as much as to preserve the road if it's a little out of place, and just edit it till it fits.

i'm happy to take on more work (gives me something to do) but i need to be able to move up the ranks.

:)

That sounds like someone did some paving. When roads are paved from the client, it is usually a mess. Some editors prefer to delete these and start from scratch. I like to correct them to at least credit the original creator, but that requires a bit more work.
It comes down to personal preferences.

If you are active and prefer a bit more responsibility, you can always become an area manager for one or more areas where you stay or frequently travel.

In this case I'd suggest familiarizing yourself with best editing practices and local standards defined in the Wiki.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Re: Who checks the map edits?

Postby overl0ad » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:22 pm

I'm sure it's not a case of paving.

The roads are named and line up. They are just not connected by nodes. Or that they are clearly drawn, and not finished off.

Either way, I try to retain the original road if possible, but that's not always feasible.
overl0ad

Re: Re: Who checks the map edits?

Postby harling » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:05 am

Kuhlkatz wrote:
overl0ad wrote:i know that there was discussion on how "you shouldn't delete someone else's work", but if i come across a random bit of road that's clearly out of place (like a 2M road on top of a hospital roof), i just delete it.

That sounds like someone did some paving...

Or it's from editing back in the days of Cartouche, when only an AM could delete segments, and non-AMs could only mark them for deletion. So, as a non-AM, any segments that are "left over" after editing would have to be moved to some out-of-the-way place until the AM approves their deletion.

Eventually, I stopped marking segments for deletion, and started "recycling" them as nearby driveways and parking lot roads instead. :-)
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
harling

Postby kodi75 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:29 am

Unless there is a way to upload an image to a PM, this post is the only means I have to show the editor what the roads looked like. I decided to fix them, since they are major streets in my area.

some edits were made to road segments in Baltimore on N Charles St and Bellona Ave here. First off, thanks for joining this community of users working to improve maps and helping others get from A to B.

Unfortunately I am not able to upload a image of the intersection with this PM, but I have posted it here in the Community Forum. Hey, I'm still learning too.

new edits.JPG
Charles at Bellona
new edits.JPG (100.84 KiB) Viewed 569 times

If you look at the attached image, the road segments at the intersection were red, indicating a problem. IN this case, the segments were not given a road name and a city. Also, the turn restrictions prevented any turns from any of the segments. And if there is a problem, Waze cannot use the segments for routing.

Please PM me if you have any questions or post a message in the Map Editing Forum and look at the links to some of the Waze Wiki on my signature block below.
kodi75
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby AndyPoms » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:49 am

kodi75 wrote:Unless there is a way to upload an image to a PM, this post is the only means I have to show the editor what the roads looked like. I decided to fix them, since they are major streets in my area.

some edits were made to road segments in Baltimore on N Charles St and Bellona Ave here. First off, thanks for joining this community of users working to improve maps and helping others get from A to B.

Unfortunately I am not able to upload a image of the intersection with this PM, but I have posted it here in the Community Forum. Hey, I'm still learning too.

If you look at the attached image, the road segments at the intersection were red, indicating a problem. IN this case, the segments were not given a road name and a city. Also, the turn restrictions prevented any turns from any of the segments. And if there is a problem, Waze cannot use the segments for routing.

Please PM me if you have any questions or post a message in the Map Editing Forum and look at the links to some of the Waze Wiki on my signature block below.

There isn't a way to upload an image to a PM, you need to use another host for it & use the IMG tags - I know, it's annoying. Also, Fairview Rd at the bottom of your screen shot looks like it needs the End Node Fixed on the Cul-De-Sac/Dead End.
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kodi75 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:25 pm

Looks like someone else got to that junction before me. It was late and my main concern was the intersection at Charles and Bellona - my intent was to return to that area later today.

I'll have to start using the WME Colour Highlights Unterminated Roads (Lime) check-box. Otherwise non-terminated roads are hard to spot.

Thanks for the help, Andy.
kodi75
Country Manager
Country Manager

Previous

Return to Website, Community, General