Who checks the map edits?

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Re: Who checks the map edits?

Postby Kuhlkatz » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:52 am

overl0ad wrote:it's little things like roads not connected at all.

or someone has tried to add a road, made a mess of it, and just walked away.

i know that there was discussion on how "you shouldn't delete someone else's work", but if i come across a random bit of road that's clearly out of place (like a 2M road on top of a hospital roof), i just delete it.

i try as much as to preserve the road if it's a little out of place, and just edit it till it fits.

i'm happy to take on more work (gives me something to do) but i need to be able to move up the ranks.

:)

That sounds like someone did some paving. When roads are paved from the client, it is usually a mess. Some editors prefer to delete these and start from scratch. I like to correct them to at least credit the original creator, but that requires a bit more work.
It comes down to personal preferences.

If you are active and prefer a bit more responsibility, you can always become an area manager for one or more areas where you stay or frequently travel.

In this case I'd suggest familiarizing yourself with best editing practices and local standards defined in the Wiki.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
Using HTC One, Stock ROM, Android 4.2.2
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing
Kuhlkatz
Beta tester
Beta tester

Re: Who checks the map edits?

Postby overl0ad » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:55 am

i'm new at this, but let me say...

there are some people out there who shouldn't be allowed to update the maps.

it's taking me more time to fix the errors than it would to have started from scratch...
overl0ad

Postby overl0ad » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:09 am

it's little things like roads not connected at all.

or someone has tried to add a road, made a mess of it, and just walked away.

i know that there was discussion on how "you shouldn't delete someone else's work", but if i come across a random bit of road that's clearly out of place (like a 2M road on top of a hospital roof), i just delete it.

i try as much as to preserve the road if it's a little out of place, and just edit it till it fits.

i'm happy to take on more work (gives me something to do) but i need to be able to move up the ranks.

:)
overl0ad

Postby overl0ad » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:22 pm

I'm sure it's not a case of paving.

The roads are named and line up. They are just not connected by nodes. Or that they are clearly drawn, and not finished off.

Either way, I try to retain the original road if possible, but that's not always feasible.
overl0ad

Who checks the map edits?

Postby pamount » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:21 pm

With different users editing the maps online is there a governance process for checking the accuracy of the map edits? For example if somebody made some mistakes would the mistakes be picked up and corrected by somebody at Waze?
pamount

Postby pamount » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:42 pm

I was looking at updates to the map of Wallan in Victoria, Australia. The recent updates look good but I think older updates (to the west of the Northern Highway) look sloppy and incomplete. Although I am also asking the question as a general question.
pamount

Previous

Return to Website, Community, General