Who checks the map edits?

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Who checks the map edits?

Postby AndyPoms » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:37 pm

drumorgan wrote:The system checks itself to some extent. I added some roads and evidently forgot to "allow" a turn. The next day, I noticed an alert where someone made a turn that was not allowed. :) I fixed it right there.
These are processed against the editor, not the client map, so if you make a mistake like this on road with a lot of traffic, it should get caught before the edits go live.
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby WindowDude » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:10 pm

The system checks itself to some extent. I added some roads and evidently forgot to "allow" a turn. The next day, I noticed an alert where someone made a turn that was not allowed. :) I fixed it right there.
WindowDude

Postby pamount » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:42 pm

I was looking at updates to the map of Wallan in Victoria, Australia. The recent updates look good but I think older updates (to the west of the Northern Highway) look sloppy and incomplete. Although I am also asking the question as a general question.
pamount

Postby Kuhlkatz » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:33 pm

Unfortunately not. That boils down to the individual editors and area & / country managers.
This is also why high value roads are locked.

This is the main reason why editors are encouraged to participate in the forums, and to ensure that they conform to standards in the Wiki. Some of the countries have their own way of doing things, so some regional standards may also apply.

Are you enquiring due to particularly bad edits in an area?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Re: Re: Who checks the map edits?

Postby harling » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:05 am

Kuhlkatz wrote:
overl0ad wrote:i know that there was discussion on how "you shouldn't delete someone else's work", but if i come across a random bit of road that's clearly out of place (like a 2M road on top of a hospital roof), i just delete it.

That sounds like someone did some paving...

Or it's from editing back in the days of Cartouche, when only an AM could delete segments, and non-AMs could only mark them for deletion. So, as a non-AM, any segments that are "left over" after editing would have to be moved to some out-of-the-way place until the AM approves their deletion.

Eventually, I stopped marking segments for deletion, and started "recycling" them as nearby driveways and parking lot roads instead. :-)
harling

Re: Re: Who checks the map edits?

Postby Kuhlkatz » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:52 am

overl0ad wrote:it's little things like roads not connected at all.

or someone has tried to add a road, made a mess of it, and just walked away.

i know that there was discussion on how "you shouldn't delete someone else's work", but if i come across a random bit of road that's clearly out of place (like a 2M road on top of a hospital roof), i just delete it.

i try as much as to preserve the road if it's a little out of place, and just edit it till it fits.

i'm happy to take on more work (gives me something to do) but i need to be able to move up the ranks.

:)

That sounds like someone did some paving. When roads are paved from the client, it is usually a mess. Some editors prefer to delete these and start from scratch. I like to correct them to at least credit the original creator, but that requires a bit more work.
It comes down to personal preferences.

If you are active and prefer a bit more responsibility, you can always become an area manager for one or more areas where you stay or frequently travel.

In this case I'd suggest familiarizing yourself with best editing practices and local standards defined in the Wiki.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Previous

Return to Website, Community, General