Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Street names with Double Letters

Post by VHF-ORRA-AG28
Hi All,

Not sure if I am posting in the correct area. I searched but could not really find a solution. Apology upfront if I post a duplicate discussion or in the wrong forum area.

I have picked up a problem with street names starting with double letters, in particular J.G. Strydom Rd.

If I name it J.G. or JG Strydom, Waze pronounce it only as 'G Strydom Rd'.
If I make it J G Strydom, Waze pronounce it as 'Junction G Strydom Rd'.

What would the proper way of naming the street be?
VHF-ORRA-AG28

POSTER_ID:17118295

Send a message

Post by elphix
I've noticed the same thing but was hoping to find another example. I'll ask the guys who are more familiar with TTS and see what they say.
elphix
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by LeighGr
FW de Klerk Blvd here in Cape Town is pronounced correctly, so I'm guessing it has something to do with what letters are used. I'm not sure where 'Junction' comes from, as the TTS abbreviation is Jctn, so how does 'J' end up as Junction?

I recall there being a lot of chatter about changing how letters should be typed so that they get pronounced correctly. The cardinal point, N, E, W and S, by themselves, such as "N7 S" is pronounced as "N7 South", and I know that works, but the people were asking why N., E., W. and S. (ie. with a period following the letter) wasn't working as expected, as they were expect just the letter to be said.

I'd still like to know what the abbreviation for Extension is, as it's neither Ext, nor Extn, as I've tried both, and it gets spelt out! (Forest Drive E X T N)
LeighGr
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Leigh Greyling
Redmi 8, Android 10.0.0, Waze: Whatever the latest beta is!
LC: South Africa
CM: Southern Africa