Hospital Bend intersection driving everyone around the bend!

Post by LeighGr
I see it's not just me trying to get Waze to give the correct instructions when travelling from Rhodes Drive through to Settlers Way, as there is no "Keep Left" instruction after following the "Keep Right" instruction off Rhodes Drives.

I adjusted the angles of the ramp junctions on Sunday, but forgot to check on Live Map yesterday. I now see RodNav has moved the split back 50 or so meters, though it has made no difference.

I do see that both the ramp off Rhodes Drive and the left hand split onto Settlers Way are named "N2 Eastbound", so I'm guessing the routing engine sees this a going straight, and doesn't issue any instruction. Can the second one not be named "N2 - Somerset West", since that is what the road sign says? It may help.

Coming down hospital bend from De Waal Dr and Nelson Mandela Blvd, this section of De Waal Dr needs to be split into two, as there is now a solid white down the hill, and you are supposed to pre-select whether you are going onto Rhodes Dr or Settlers Way before you reach the top of the hill by keeping either right or left respectively, and not cross the barrier line half way down the hill, as used to be the case.

It's an intersection I stay far away from, so am not too how it works in practice, but Waze should at least route the driver to use the correct route, depending on their destination.
LeighGr
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

POSTER_ID:7725087

Send a message
Leigh Greyling
Redmi 8, Android 10.0.0, Waze: Whatever the latest beta is!
LC: South Africa
CM: Southern Africa

Post by RodNav
LeighGr wrote: I adjusted the angles of the ramp junctions on Sunday, but forgot to check on Live Map yesterday. I now see RodNav has moved the split back 50 or so meters, though it has made no difference.
I think it's too soon for the changes to have made it to Livemap or the client.
I do see that both the ramp off Rhodes Drive and the left hand split onto Settlers Way are named "N2 Eastbound", so I'm guessing the routing engine sees this a going straight, and doesn't issue any instruction. Can the second one not be named "N2 - Somerset West", since that is what the road sign says? It may help.
I renamed the the second one to "N2 - Somerset West", as I think it's good if it is the same as the sign. But I think the issue is more to do with the angles of the junction which have been changed and are probably just waiting for the next map update.
Coming down hospital bend from De Waal Dr and Nelson Mandela Blvd, this section of De Waal Dr needs to be split into two, as there is now a solid white down the hill, and you are supposed to pre-select whether you are going onto Rhodes Dr or Settlers Way before you reach the top of the hill by keeping either right or left respectively, and not cross the barrier line half way down the hill, as used to be the case.

It's an intersection I stay far away from, so am not too how it works in practice, but Waze should at least route the driver to use the correct route, depending on their destination.
PLEASE editors, don't change this (it is locked at level 5 so should be safe). That segment is actually 2 segments on top of each other to enable me to connect only the appropriate segments. It is not possible to do it with turn restrictions only. What was happening when coming from De Waal Drive, was that it made you take the right hand bridge and then expect you to cross to the left of that segment to take the N2. This is not allowed by road markings, and would be ridiculous to try in traffic (unless you're a minibus taxi, of course! :lol: ). After editing to this layout, it would always route using the left bridge.
But I think there may still be an issue if I look at the turn restrictions. I will look into this and actually drive the intersection in different directions to test the routings, but it may not be for a week or two.
I will add that I think this is one case where waze cannot be expected to give all the info in terms of keep left/right, and that driver will have to read the signs. ;)
RodNav
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Country Manager for South Africa.
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G