Hospital bend M3 onto N2 Eastbound naming

Post by xcentricdave
Hi All,
I was looking at a UR approaching hospital bend from UCT:
Problem: this is N2 westbound, not eastbound.
Reporter on December 10, 2013
Coming from UCT, the keep right is still N2 westbound. The keep left is then to N2 Somerset West, keep right would be to stay on N2 westbound. It is confusing to say N2 eastbound when still going west

I know this junction is a complex one... this problem would seem to be the highlighted section Hospital Bend Junction which is named N2 Eastbound, but is misleading since you only commit to Eastbound once you take the left loop, you can continue up on the N2 Westbound.

Could we change the name of the segment, just to "N2"? Or would it be better to connect both a N2 Eastbound (keep right at the junction) and N2 Westbound (keep right on M3 earlier) ramps to the M3?

This junction option is confusing to drivers who don't know it at the best of times...
cheers,
Dave
xcentricdave

POSTER_ID:14578636

Send a message
Dave Campbell-Watts
Oneplus 3T - Android 7.1.1
Mapper: mainly Cape Town to Cape Point
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/2/24/W ... 2cones.png

Post by RodNav
Hi Dave

I read this PM on my phone while I was away. Now that I'm at my PC again I noticed the UR and then remembered this PM!

Apologies if anything below is something you knew already. I'd rather assume you didn't, than assume you did!
I have renamed the segment to None, ie no name.
The way waze works in this case is that it will take the name of the following segment for the instruction. The clever thing is that in this type of case there are 2 possible segments for waze to use, and the one that waze is routing along, is the one that will be used in the spoken instruction.

Hopefully this is the solution to issue, but as I said in the UR comment, I welcome further comments.

Cheers
Rod
RodNav
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Country Manager for South Africa.
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G

Post by RodNav
I drove there yesterday. I agree that it's not obvious, even when looking at the signs, that the better option if you're going to take N2 Airport is to take the second lane. In fact, you don't easily see that there is a second lane until you are just about committed to the first lane. However, since it is one exit I wouldn't advise making it a separate exit lane, as I think people may miss the exit altogether, waiting for the 'second exit'.
It might be worth renaming the two ramps after the segment by adding something like "use 2nd lane" or " exit from middle lane" or something like that.
I think a bit of thought is needed here before doing it, and I welcome comments/suggestions.

It's a pity that the Streetview was taken during the construction phase, so it doesn't show the current situation. The aerial view is correct, however.
Next time I drive there, I'll record a video and probably extract a few frames, so others can better understand the issue.

Cheers
Rod
RodNav
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Country Manager for South Africa.
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G

Post by xcentricdave
You assume right that I didn't know. I've read the Junction Style Guide, but clearly this bit didn't stick!

Makes perfect sense that the directions will pick up the name from the ramp that you're being routed via.

I still wonder whether connecting the Groot Schuur/N2 Westbound into town and the N2 Eastbound/Airport ramps separately from the M3 inbound would:-
PRO - Make it clearer that the N2 W / Airport is the second of the two exit lanes to the right and help avoid the blend and push just before the sharp loop to the left as the people who took the straight through lane correct their mistake;
CON - Just be more confusing and it's fine as it it and people should use the road-signs.

cheers,
Dave
xcentricdave
Send a message
Dave Campbell-Watts
Oneplus 3T - Android 7.1.1
Mapper: mainly Cape Town to Cape Point
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/2/24/W ... 2cones.png