Durbanville Suburb City Naming

Post by rw-aldum
Hi,

I know as far as the SA naming guide goes the following applies:
the City is the suburb followed by the city: Suburb, City

The issue with Durbanville in Cape Town is that everyone knows it as Durbanville and VERY few people know the suburbs, so for example, the current naming guide requires the following:

Claasens Avenue, Skoongesig, Durbanville, Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa

to be

Street Name: Claasens Ave
City: Skoongesig, Cape Town,

If you ask someone in Cape Town where 'Durbanville' is, they would likely be able to tell you, if you ask them where any suburb of Durbanville is, almost no one would know.

My question:
Should I change the primary city name to 'Durbanville, Cape Town' and put as an alternative name the sub suburb? or must I conform to the standard of 'Skoongesig, Cape Town' and as an alternative name 'Durbanville, Cape Town'

This is a big thing with most of the Northern Suburbs of Cape Town (Durbanville, Bellville, Kraaifontein, Brackenfell, ....) where people know those areas by those names and not as much by the subdistrics. where as the southern suburbs, there are few to no 'sub-suburbs': people know claremont, rondebosch, wetton, ottery, ... by those names. The same goes for central Cape Town and the Western suburbs (around blougerg, table view, ...)

At the moment, there is only a small portion of Durbanville that actually still shows up as Durbanville on the wase map because the sub-suburb is not used on those names, and if I change that to use the correct suburb, there would be no 'Durbanville' tag displayed in that area... which seems completely wrong.

forgot to add:

Someone else suggested / asked if waze handles correctly if you add alternative names like so:

Cape Town is listed as the City;
Durbanville is listed as an alternative name for all Durbanville roads;
Skoongesig is listed as a second alternative name for all skoongesig roads.

I doubt that this would be the case, but I have to ask.

The entire point of Waze is to be able to go and fix the areas you aren't satisfied with and not just put up with it like you have to with some other services... and this district, suburb naming thing has been bugging me for a while now.
rw-aldum
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:12122837

Send a message

Post by LeighGr
I raised the similar question in August: Suburb Naming Standards in the SA standards forum, with just the one reply from Kuhlkatz.

My take on it then was it's an education for the person doing the search. They can find out about all the suburbs within the town of Durbanville :) And for me, as I apparently no longer stay in Proteaville, which appears to have shrunk to just two roads. Bergsig seems to have grown over the hill and almost to the CBD.

When last I looked into this, the alternative names were not used for searching, as you've stated, but there are so many updates to the client side lately, this may have changed.

What I noticed yesterday, and early this morning, as long as you have the street name, Waze tends to find the right one. Using De Keur, searching for "De Keur" takes you off to the Netherlands! Searching for "De Keur, Cape Town", returns four options, all in Durbanville, both De Keur Rd and De Keur Ave. No mention of Proteaville or Vierlanden anywhere.

What I do find odd, is that within WME, the search results show the Street, City and Postal code. How many people know the postal code of your friends living on the other side of town? About 15 years ago, possibly, when we still used snail mail, but nowadays? Doing a search for "Forest Drive, Cape Town" returns 7 results, all over Cape Town.

Have a look at City of Cape Town Viewer, which shows all the suburbs are far as the city is concerned. As for Durbanville, these same suburbs are mentioned on the The Durbanville wiki.

Another thought as to why Durbanville's suburbs are named differently to the southern suburbs is that it used to be a separate town, with it's own suburbs, and was absorbed into the City of Cape Town metropolitan area, the same way that Strand and Somerset West are now part of Cape Town, and they also have numerous suburbs.

Leigh
LeighGr
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Leigh Greyling
Redmi 8, Android 10.0.0, Waze: Whatever the latest beta is!
LC: South Africa
CM: Southern Africa

Post by LeighGr
Walter, you may have a point. I can't find any references to a Durbanville suburb called Skoongesig other than on Google Maps, so I think it's a Google corruption if Schoongezight, which in itself is incorrect, as it should be Schoongezicht. Skoongesig should be Nerina, best I can see.

The City has been busy putting up suburb sign boards in Kraaifontein, such as Bonnie Brae and Bonny Brook. A similar one has gone up on incoming on Visserhok Rd, just past Odendaal St, stating "Durbanville", which corrolates with the city map area "Durbanville", the CBD.

They are also re-painting the kerbside road names, and now putting the 'extension' on i.e, Rd, St, Pl, Way, etc. Only problem, Zandkloof is now a Drive at one end, and a Road at the other! sigh.
LeighGr
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Leigh Greyling

Post by LeighGr
Walter, thanks for the feedback.

Would you happen to have contacts in the City of Cape Town for those responsible for the snafu with the street name kerb painting they are currently busy with? De Keur east of Nutans is shown as De Keur Ave, yet west of Nutans as De Keur St? And Protea Way, as I've known it for the 9 years I've been living here, is now Protea St :?

Leigh.
LeighGr
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Leigh Greyling

Post by rw-aldum
Hi,

I know this is ancient by now, but just thought i'd finish it off.

Had lots of talks with City of Cape Town regarding some borders around Nerina in Durbanville. I have fixed most of the road naming around there in the past months so it should all be good now. Some areas were a bit ambiguous, but it is mostly fixed now.

- Walter
rw-aldum
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by rw-aldum
Hi Leigh,

I have had a few people mention things about the changes from Street to Road and vice versa and the partial change you mentioned is also not isolated.

Most likely you can ask Ronelle to assist or at least point you in the right direction - she's previously assisted me.

https://www.capetown.gov.za/en/stats/Pa ... tacts.aspx

Knowledge Resources and Support
Ronelle Rudman, Manager: ronelle.rudman@capetown.gov.za

The changes from road to street and vice versa sometimes make sense if there are duplicate names in Cape Town they are trying to eliminate, but a partial change like De Keur makes little sense (If I remember, the road was actually 2 roads due to a property in the middle? - if this is the physical and name separation, it might make sense)

It might also be worth looking at the City of Cape Town maps to see what they represent? If the changes are reflected/not reflected it might also give some insight to track down where what changed.

update:
http://maps.capetown.gov.za/isisiv/
- this seems to not display 'street' / 'road' at the end of the names, so you might need to find out if they have a source for that.

-Walter
rw-aldum
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message