Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Small town updates

Post by aschaft
Hi,

We're heading to some family in Jacobsdal in the Eastern Freestate just south of Kimberley this weekend. I see however that quite a few roads there aren't on Waze yet.

I know we weren't allowed to add these from Google without having actually driven there, but I was wondering if this has been relaxed with the acquisition.

Also, not having been anywhere near there, I can't edit the town.

So my question is two-fold. Can I now add roads from an external source, and can I be unlocked for that area?
aschaft

POSTER_ID:7171694

Send a message

Post by aschaft
elphix wrote:Hi aschaft,

What external sources were you thinking of using? As far as editing rights go you'll need to apply for Area Manager status for the areas you wish to edit by following THIS link. Don't be daunted by the "Area Manager" tag, it doesn't mean you have to watch over the area permanently, it's more like a "hey I want to fix this area up" kind of title. You could also post here detailing which towns and routes you intend on taking and I'll give them a quick once over for you. :)
I was thinking of adding roads on google maps to the area not present on waze now
aschaft
Send a message

Post by aschaft
Was planning on only adding the roads in the town anyway.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=row&zo ... TTTTFTTTTT
aschaft
Send a message

Post by elphix
Hi aschaft,
aschaft wrote: I know we weren't allowed to add these from Google without having actually driven there, but I was wondering if this has been relaxed with the acquisition.
The visible changes since the Google acquisition are that the satellite images have changed from Bing to Google Maps. Other than a few interface changes not all that much has happened (I'm sure behind the scenes there has been) I find that the Google Aerial images are more up to date compare to Bing so you shouldn't have too much of an issue identifying roads and landmarks.
aschaft wrote: Can I now add roads from an external source, and can I be unlocked for that area?

What external sources were you thinking of using? As far as editing rights go you'll need to apply for Area Manager status for the areas you wish to edit by following THIS link. Don't be daunted by the "Area Manager" tag, it doesn't mean you have to watch over the area permanently, it's more like a "hey I want to fix this area up" kind of title. You could also post here detailing which towns and routes you intend on taking and I'll give them a quick once over for you. :)
elphix
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by elphix
That's perfectly fine. I tend to stay away from adding non-asphalted roads as I don't see the point in mapping peoples farms. In my opinion it often clutters the map up and is only really of use to the farmer who knows where he is going anyways.
elphix
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by elphix
aschaft wrote:Was planning on only adding the roads in the town anyway.
I see it is missing a few. Like a said applying for AM rights is the easiest solution in this case. From my experience the Waze team normally gets back to you in a day or two and then you can edit away :mrgreen: As this is a town adding the dirt roads makes sense.
elphix
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by elphix
Forgot to mention what Kuhlkatz said is exactly right. I was referring to the use of Google maps for the road geometry. The copyright issue is a big no no.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
elphix
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by Kuhlkatz
Please note that using external copyrighted sources is still not allowed, including Google Maps data itself. Some of the data sources that Google Maps use is not their own data and is encompassed by a Google / 3rd party agreement or purchase between Google and the other party only, so excludes Waze 'use'.
Using Google Street view in WME and looking at/verifying street signage is not a problem. There is a fair amount of streets that is incorrectly named in the other sources anyway, and Google Maps also have them wrong.

Data sources that should/could be used is municipal / regional GIS sources that is not stated as copyrighted, but unfortunately is very few and far between, and is also not widely advertised or even 100% up to date.

You might want to map them beforehand if you can get AM status , and just fill in the details when you are in the area to verify it. Once you have driven there, you should have access to them for about 3 months in any way, even if you are not an AM.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
[img]https:///DwNb3R[/img]
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing