Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Delareyville

Post by Chriseleven
Any reason Delareyville shows as DeLaReyVille and cannot be changed?
https://world.waze.com/editor/?zoom=3&l ... TTTFTTTTFT
Chriseleven

POSTER_ID:6301053

Send a message

Post by elphix
I noticed that while having a go at the N14... Thought I could just change a suburb to the correct naming and "ease" it over to the rest but no such luck as Rob said.

Isn't there a script that allows an editor to mass edit features (street names in this case) that might be of assistance in this case? I'm looking for something to fix a few suburbs in the North of Pretoria that are named completely incorrectly - although the street names are fine.
elphix
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by jonypony
Fixed.
jonypony
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/3/35/Jonypony.png
Waze so serious?

U.S.A./Canada/South-Africa/Australia community Manager
Waze Community & Support

Post by Kuhlkatz
Gents, it seems like we have a serious case of 'Facebook teenie-typing' here. AFAIK, only teenage girls think it's cute To tYpE sTufF lOoKiNg LiKe tHiS.
I'll send a request to get the name changed to Delareyville proper. Unfortunately, once a name is entered and saved as a City name, any other case spelling of that name is not allowed and it will revert to the original.

If you find any other misspelled / incorrectly entered city names, please drop me a note.
While I'm busy, I'll go on a hunt tonight to see if we still have some single character city smudges that remain. I keep seeing the dreaded 'm' all over the map, but have not made time to try and hunt it down.
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
[img]https:///DwNb3R[/img]
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing

Post by Kuhlkatz
The snag with the Cities are that they are initially created from attributes assigned to other objects, like landmarks and street segments. The names are not directly editable like street or landmark names themselves, so cannot be manipulated by editors after the initial creation.
Once a City is created, it gets recorded in the back-end with a unique ID and any attempt to rename an object's city name with the same spelling but different character case will simply be matched to the existing City name and it will instead inherit that ID.

There are 2 possible ways to fix this.
1. Create a new incorrect City name and edit and re-assign all segments and landmarks to this name. Wait long enough for the new procedure that removes stale city names (smudges) with no associated objects to run & eventually kill off the name, if ever. Rinse & repeat using the 'correct' city name.
2. Have Waze fix it in the DB.

Dunno why, but option 2 just sounds much simpler.

p.s. I have passed on Delareyville and some smudges so let's see what transpires.
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
[img]https:///DwNb3R[/img]
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing

Post by RodNav
An interesting problem. I tried changing a segment's city to something else, saved, and then changed to Delareyville, making sure that the name went in as I've typed. Selecting a different segment and then the one I'd changed, showed it correct After saving it reverted to the mixed case. Could this be an editor bug?
RodNav
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Country Manager for South Africa.
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G