Coming soon... (to your city)

Got to get this of of my chest

Post by Tomskii
Hi all,

First of all I would like to thank Orbit, Moweez and anyone else involved in organizing these mapraids for the community. They are not only helping to improve waze as a navigation app, they also make the international community work together, seems like we're one nation instead of many different countries.

Now however something has been bothering me and I have to get this of my chest because I've been ranting about it too much for the last couple of days.

To me the purpose of a mapraid is to improve the map in certain areas of the world where it is much needed or it is needed to just improve the service level towards us and the other users. Apparantly during the MMR #3 some editors have found it more important to boost their points without any regard to accuracy or even checking road type etc. (please note: it is a small percentage of editors, but the few pretty much ruin the fun for the rest).

If we're going to make a map from scratch, we might as well do it very well the first time and give users a proper impression of what to expect on the road.

An example of what I mean: (mind you, this was created by a high level editor during the raid)https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/332 ... amloos.png

I've just stopped editing for tonight in Thailand just because it got me so annoyed and just raging. This type of stuff honestly does not motivate people to do better. "Oh I can get the points even if I draw random lines." Just to make things clear: it's not about the points for me, it's making the map better to a near perfect accuracy.

Ok thanks for listening to my ranting, I'd like to know what others think about this as well.

Tom
Tomskii

POSTER_ID:16840643

Send a message

Post by AndyLaode
Just an opinion. A lot can be happen. Maybe you can ask the creator

1. Maybe the creator will come back again to finish the segment.

2. The map raid still far away from finish. The creator maybe want to draw the segment first, let it be there first, then come back again before the map raid finish to complete all the adjustment:
a. geometry
b. road type
c. direction
d. nodes, etc.

3. Maybe he is working on zoom 2 or zoom 3, to cover the distance first and then before he can finish it, shit happens
a. his real life call him/her for an attention
b. he/she disconnected from the internet.

A lot of people working together in the MEGA map raid. i repeat MEGA. i make red segments because of internet connection problem in this raid, but hey, that is not a big deal. a fellow editor PM me, and then i just tell him an apology in the slack channel and ask him to repair it.

Map raid is all about group effort. Somebody could be weak in drawing but strong in UR. other excellent in drawing and geometry but suck at places. that is why we are doing this raid. everybody has their strong points

Keep up your spirit and don't let this small thing bothering you.

We are drawing a lot of new roads, thousands and thousands of miles in Thailand. Don’t let a few miles of poor drawing road let you down. You can edit though and earn your point to fixing it.
AndyLaode
Send a message
andylaode (andylaode@outlook.com)
okay, mate, see you on the road and on the map too, cheers

Post by fermario73
Hola, yo creo que uno de los problema por en cual ocurre esto es que se esta trabajando con un zoon a media altura, con lo cual a simple vista parece que el trabajo esta medianamente bien.
Pero en terrenos como estos lamentablemente hay que llevar el zoon casi al mínimo posible, con lo que se trabaja mas lento, pero es la única forma que el trabajo quede aceptable.

El primer día he creado varios caminos que luego al revisarlos mas de cerca tuve que arreglarlos uno por uno y es un trabajo que realmente molesta.

Al igual que Tomskii gracias por este MegaMapRaid
Saludos!
fermario73
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by HandofMadness
I've seen a bit of this in my area as well. I figured there must've been some communication I missed that gave us permission to "simplify" when drawing in new roads to shorten the time to cover all the missing areas.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by orbitc
Thanks for the kinds words. asterix06 and enhket had a lot to the with this becoming the third MegaMapRaid.

As far as the issues, please let me or (asterix06 or enhket) know about those editors with examples and we will deal with them.

You can also send PM to any of these group leaders:
  • amarock85
  • asterix06
  • beersh
  • BellHouse
  • Durango48
  • enhket
  • ericdanieldavid
  • kdevries
  • mincho77
  • orbitc
  • pferrariuy
  • shmupi
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Regional Coordinator for Northeast & New England
•Tier1 •USA Coordinator •Global Champ & Mentor
•iOS & WME ßeta Tester •Beacon, CCP & Wiki Master
•Master Raiders •Localization •Content Raider

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
Tomskii wrote:Thanks for getting back so quickly, I've sent you a PM with some of my thoughts. It is my goal to have people reflect on how they help improving the map, not to be name calling or anything like that.

Greetings,

Tom
Thank you Tom. Looking into it.
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
fermario73 wrote:Hola, yo creo que uno de los problema por en cual ocurre esto es que se esta trabajando con un zoon a media altura, con lo cual a simple vista parece que el trabajo esta medianamente bien.
Pero en terrenos como estos lamentablemente hay que llevar el zoon casi al mínimo posible, con lo que se trabaja mas lento, pero es la única forma que el trabajo quede aceptable.

El primer día he creado varios caminos que luego al revisarlos mas de cerca tuve que arreglarlos uno por uno y es un trabajo que realmente molesta.

Al igual que Tomskii gracias por este MegaMapRaid
Saludos!
Además, hay muchos editores que trabajan al mismo tiempo. Eso también es un factor tal vez. La traducción del Google
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
Guys, the best way to deal with these issues to talk with one of the group leader. Please send them a PM. Thanks.
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

USA | MapRaid!

Post by prosql
I ran into a lot of this too - including some laid down by an L6. Could it be they got started, got interrupted, and then forgot to come back? Yes - for a segment or two. But I saw many more than just one or two, and laid down far more sloppy than in the picture earlier in the thread.

On really long roads, I get the idea of being at a higher zoom. That becomes very plausible when you see a straight section of segment cutting through zig zag corners. When, however, you see the segment also zig zagging, but clearly missing by a mile and often almost opposite of the roadway, it's likely just "in a hurry" slop. One of the key contributors to this in my area even popped in several times just long enough to say "well, looks like everything's done already..." and be gone.

I have to agree this is the worst I've seen, but that may be because I was closer to editors doing fresh roads than I have been in my other 4 MR's. In China, the other place with tons of fresh laid segments, I was virtually always completely by myself - no one else working the areas I was at all - so there wasn't much opportunity for it. So maybe it happened a lot there too in other places and I just didn't see it.

Anyway, I didn't wind up addressing it with either of the frequent flyers that I came across. Early on, it had an element of them being higher level than me, so what do I know. Later on it became more of a "Not likely to listen, we're about done here, so what's the point? Hopefully leadership will see it and address it." In the Texas MR, I was a bit more proactive about reporting things (and txemt was pretty responsive on addressing it), so I probably should have been more aggressive about it this time too.
prosql
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Toalettborste
I have seen this happen a lot. During the MMR3 Thailand I found a bunch of roads that where unconfirmed and they had been built by high level Wazers.
Toalettborste
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message