Coming soon... (to your city)

Okinawa MapRaid - Champs Needed

Post by ldhacker1
Hello everyone,

As some of you may know, the majority of roads in Okinawa are too narrow to drive two cars down side by side, yet the local government designates them as two way roads. This leads to people having to get over as far as they can to let the other car pass (sometimes nearly hitting a wall or even getting into the entrance of another road). This, in combination with the lack of map editors in the area and the already misshapen roads (the majority of which have not been touched since 2012), leads to a lot of routing issues on the island while using waze.

I also believe the this is the reason for a lot of the traffic accidents that happen on the island. People try using their GPS to navigate, and it thinks that a street is a normal sized one, ultimately leading them down a narrow road (possibly with a dead end in the middle of a cemetery) and they don't know what to do.

waze has the capability of marking those roads as narrow and routing people around them. However, there are hundreds of thousands of roads, which is way to many for me to handle on my own. This is why I would like to start a MapRaid in Okinawa to fix all of these issues.

I have been in contact with my Community Manager and they gave me the link to the MapRaid registration form, but it requires the usernames of champs to run raid.

Is there anyone that would be willing to help run the raid? As stated, no one in the area is very active so it will probably have to be someone from somewhere else.

Main issues in Okinawa:
-Roads geometries do not match (some not even close)
-Some dead-end roads connect to others when they should not
-Several of the roads are not categorized correctly (Primary street, major/minor highways, narrow streets, etc.)
-Some of the island appears underwater in the waze drawn/stylized map
-Several parking lots and parking lot roads not listed/drawn
-The majority of roads that I have seen don't have names attached to them (marked as no street name)

Looking forward to working with all of you,

ldhacker1
ldhacker1

POSTER_ID:17860793

Send a message

Post by kyhtak
I think they're still in the process of trying to get it organized and approved. When they're ready, it will be announced, and there will be specific dates, and a sign-up form.
kyhtak
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message

Post by ldhacker1
vince1612 wrote:Out of curiosity, did you speak of this at all with Japanese Champs? (like taka, awonorisan or yukion?)
I did not, I just received contact information from another user for my community manager, contacted them and then received a link. I will try and contact them and update everyone here when I get a response. I don’t want to step on anyone’s toes...
ldhacker1
Send a message

Post by ldhacker1
Thank you all for your quick responses. I am going to try and contact the local champs, so I don’t step on their toes. However, everyone here will still be included in the fun.
ldhacker1
Send a message

Post by ldhacker1
As an update, I have yet to receive a reply from the Japanese champ that I contacted. I will be filling out the for sometime today (Local Okinawa Time). Thank you all again for your interest and help!
ldhacker1
Send a message